Islanders Point Blank: Isles looking to hire top hockey executive

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
I wish someone had texted me that today. Just the feeling of knowing our GM search won't last another 8 years...pure joy for a minute till I would find out the truth.

It was a surreal feeling...though I quickly figured it had to be Torrey she was talking about. Logged into these boards to confirm and let me tell you I had butterflies while doing so, not sure if it was Snow or not.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I was born an Isles fan. I'm 39 years old and I was a child when they won their 4 stanley cups in a row. I remember bossy, trottier, potvin, smith, lafontaine....i remember the easter miracle and the david volek goal. I have watched it all. The last good memory i have is watching the isles go toe to toe with the Maple Leafs in the early 2000s. the win over the panthers was nice, but...it doesnt compare to shaun bates penalty shot and eric cairns beat downs.

having said that, FOR ME, i'm tired of the losing. i'm tired of spending my money doing the same thing over and over and over again. I go into seasons thinking we have a shot, thinking maybe, and then everything always just goes to hell. Incompetent management will do that to you. and I'm just tired of devoting my time to a franchise that just will not do what is necessary or is completely incapable of success. like, not even remotely occasionally. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. ..and for me....i've just had enough of this clown show. i want to watch good hockey. i want to watch a team that makes good, shrewd moves. a team that has the real chance to do something special. over the last 30 years the islanders have shown themselves completely incapable of doing so, save for a few fleeting moments. it really is too much for me. i wish them the best, i hope it turns around. if it does, i'll be there. but i dont have the time to devote to a lost cause anymore.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
My daughter texted me today- "The general manager for the Islanders passed away". Thinking it was Snow, I was elated and sad at the same time. I don't want the guy to expire, but for a quick few seconds I thought "aint this some dumb f***ing luck".

You certainly won't get your first like from this post.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
My daughter texted me today- "The general manager for the Islanders passed away". Thinking it was Snow, I was elated and sad at the same time. I don't want the guy to expire, but for a quick few seconds I thought "aint this some dumb f***ing luck".

I mean.. Yeah. I don't like the guy as my GM but I don't wish death upon the f***ing dude. I also don't think you meant to come across like that, but on this board people are always going to twist your words when the team is in a bad position.

Reactions: Riseonfire

Silent Cal

Apr 8, 2016
I mean.. Yeah. I don't like the guy as my GM but I don't wish death upon the ****ing dude. I also don't think you meant to come across like that, but on this board people are always going to twist your words when the team is in a bad position.

I guess it wasn't clear from my post... my first thought was "new GM" and at the same time felt bad for thinking that way. I don't take my fandom serious enough to wish that kind of misfortune on anyone, even Snow. If folks cant see the humor and irony of my post, well that's on them.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I guess it wasn't clear from my post... my first thought was "new GM" and at the same time felt bad for thinking that way. I don't take my fandom serious enough to wish that kind of misfortune on anyone, even Snow. If folks cant see the humor and irony of my post, well that's on them.

You are obviously not a true, die hard. :sarcasm:

Reactions: YearlyLottery

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
My plan is to go to every home game, 3-4 road games, live and die with every ****in play, cheer loud, ***** and moan even louder and generally love all things islanders and hockey. And then wonder why I do it every year when it’s all over. Again. And again. And again.......
And nothing that does or doesn’t happen this off season is gonna change it for me. No matter how much I want things to change.

Damnit Jim don't you see you are part of the problem. Don't you realize that you as a fan have the power to make changes in the Isles front office? Do you not even realize that you are in the Matrix and you are in control? :sarcasm:

(you are going to get bombarded with posts like this....oh, I already see you got one from CrazySatan.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I’m as intense an isles fan as there is. The older I get I’ve learned to not have the team I root for effect my day to day life, sure, but I still want nothing more than to have them win. I just don’t see your method of not spending money on the team as the answer to the teams woes. I see that as a way to be a less intense fan, not more. But I respect you and others to feel the way you do. Just doesn’t seem to me that not spending money works out for us. The fan base hasn’t been spending money in decades, and it’s Never made for any accountability.
Mostly agree with you here. If fans not spending money on the team improved the on ice product, the Islanders would've come out of the 90s as an absolute powerhouse.

However, I disagree with any notion that how much money you spend or do not spend on the team indicates how intensely passionate you are about the team. Passionate fans are passionate fans, and there are many different ways to express that, which are valid in their own ways. We can all be passionate as hell and express it in whatever way makes the most sense to us. I think you're an intense fan, and I think Periferal is an intense fan as well. Hell, I think anyone that has cared about this team throughout the past 20+ years of mediocrity and still cares is an intense AF fan.

But saying one is the more intense or more casual based on dollars spent/not spent is IMO just narcissism either way.

I don't agree with this at all. I know plenty of casual fans that catch a game here and there and call themselves fans of the team. But a loss against the Rags, the potential to lose JT, not making the playoffs, do not bother them one bit. Whereas most fans on this board wear everything on their sleeves. Doesn't make him a narcissist.

And others might say that only supporting the team when things go the way you want them to makes you a fair weather fan. I don't really agree with that either, though. I believe that what separates an intense fan from a casual is simply how passionately they care about the team. Believing your way of showing how you care about the team is the only right way to be more than a casual fan IS narcissism.

Last edited:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I’m as intense an isles fan as there is. The older I get I’ve learned to not have the team I root for effect my day to day life, sure, but I still want nothing more than to have them win. I just don’t see your method of not spending money on the team as the answer to the teams woes. I see that as a way to be a less intense fan, not more. But I respect you and others to feel the way you do. Just doesn’t seem to me that not spending money works out for us. The fan base hasn’t been spending money in decades, and it’s Never made for any accountability.

I want the team to win too, but if after this season the Isles decide to keep Snow and Tavares leaves I honestly cannot see myself spending money on the team and worrying about how they are doing. It is not meant as a slight towards you, but I suppose rather just a little rant. It doesn't effect my daily life, but when you actually stay home on a Friday or Saturday night year after year to watch this team, spend the money to go to the games that you can afford, and spend money on the hoodies, t shirts, and beanies it gets tiresome.

Hockey is my favorite sport and if writing a letter was going to make the team successful, if not spending money was going to make the team successful, or if putting money towards a sign was going to truly make them successful I would probably do it. But none of these things truly work, the 5-10 people not spending their middle class money is not going to hurt their pockets. It's not about sucking either, when the Yankees were not good I spent money and the Jets suck but I spend money on them.

Keep in mind I'm one of those people that don't see myself following this team if they lose Tavares and keep Snow. It won't be because of frustration, but rather indifference. Indifference in my opinion is when you truly begin to lose the fanbase. You have lost their trust, money, and their fandom. Not because they lost interest, but because after years of disappointment they simply want a change. They are looking for a reason to spend their money, and ownership simply is not giving it to them.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
Believing your way of showing how you care about the team is the only right way to be more than a casual fan IS narcissism.
You've created your own interpretive narrative of what Periferal said. Which is not what he said...

24diving

Apr 5, 2013
suffolk, long island
However, I disagree with any notion that how much money you spend or do not spend on the team indicates how intensely passionate you are about the team.
I see how that might have come across as what I was implying. It wasn’t meant that way. In my situation, I would be much less into the isles if I was to stop going to games. It would be my first step in backing away from the team after so many years of going so for me personally, if I was to stop going to games, my fan “intensity” meter would drop There are plenty of fans unable to get to games at all who are avid fans, and it wasn’t my intent to say otherwise

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Indifference in my opinion is when you truly begin to lose the fanbase. You have lost their trust, money, and their fandom. Not because they lost interest, but because after years of disappointment they simply want a change. They are looking for a reason to spend their money, and ownership simply is not giving it to them.

Completely agree.

A few of us have said that once apathy sets in with a large portion of your fanbase, ownership is going to have problems.

I do like how this thread has turned into "who's the better fan" banter. I think if you are participating on this board, then I would have a hard time critiquing how much of a fan you are. I also love the few that speak for the majority when they say "oh they'll still go to games." The answer to that is, nope.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I see how that might have come across as what I was implying. It wasn’t meant that way. In my situation, I would be much less into the isles if I was to stop going to games. It would be my first step in backing away from the team after so many years of going so for me personally, if I was to stop going to games, my fan “intensity” meter would drop There are plenty of fans unable to get to games at all who are avid fans, and it wasn’t my intent to say otherwise
No worries, I totally get that and appreciate your passion for the team.

You've created your own interpretive narrative of what Periferal said. Which is not what he said...
I mean, he literally stated that one type of fan is more casual and the other is more intense, but OK, I guess it doesn't make sense to interpret that as meaning that that one type of fan is more casual and the other is more intense.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Completely agree.

A few of us have said that once apathy sets in with a large portion of your fanbase, ownership is going to have problems.

I do like how this thread has turned into "who's the better fan" banter. I think if you are participating on this board, then I would have a hard time critiquing how much of a fan you are. I also love the few that speak for the majority when they say "oh they'll still go to games." The answer to that is, nope.

Realistically in a perfect world when the team plays at Barclays I would be able to go to 2-3 games per year. Call me spoiled but I am not going from Patchogue to Barclays more than that per year when management never creates a true contender. This past year I went to one game because my girlfriend got me really awesome seats at the glass for Christmas against the Sabres.

I'm just done. The Yankees and Jets give me more joy than this franchise. The Jets... At least they gave me the Rex Ryan era and now Sam Darnold. I have no doubt I will always follow the Islanders, but I will not care nearly as much when I KNOW the team will suck.

We are all crazy fans (a little too crazy), no point in going about who the bigger fan is. All eyes should be towards management and questioning THEIR fandom.

Reactions: Seph and Isles72

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As a Bengals fan I'm in the same boat: the team is never going to be anything other than a dumpster fire until the day Mike Brown assumes room temperature and I feel a certain amount of shame that there is a deep dark part of me that would be happy to see it happen soon.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
This is all bull****. Its all a ploy to say they're doing something when in reality they aren't and won't. Not one interview? No word from anyone? **** these owners. World class my ass.

The must think we are world class idiots to believe anything they say from now on...
I know I won't...
They will need to Show Me...

Reactions: IslesFanatic

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
Realistically in a perfect world when the team plays at Barclays I would be able to go to 2-3 games per year. Call me spoiled but I am not going from Patchogue to Barclays more than that per year when management never creates a true contender. This past year I went to one game because my girlfriend got me really awesome seats at the glass for Christmas against the Sabres.

I'm just done. The Yankees and Jets give me more joy than this franchise. The Jets... At least they gave me the Rex Ryan era and now Sam Darnold. I have no doubt I will always follow the Islanders, but I will not care nearly as much when I KNOW the team will suck.

We are all crazy fans (a little too crazy), no point in going about who the bigger fan is. All eyes should be towards management and questioning THEIR fandom.

I don't think it's spoiled at all. A fan is paying money to see a good product on the ice. This ownership group has failed miserably in showing they can do that. Show me why you deserve my money.

I would try to get to at least 10 games a season. This season I went to two. Opening night against the Sabres, and the night before Thanksgiving game against the Flyers (because I got free tickets).

My time and disposable income could be used for things that will give me much more enjoyment than what the New York Islanders are putting out there currently. I'll still follow the team but through my DVR and highlights rather than dedicating 3 hours of my time watching on tv or 4+hours going to Barclays/Belmont/Ronkonkoma/NVMC/Seattle/Quebec/Houston/Hartford etc.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
its really frustrating that we've been left to speculate about so many things .

judging by ledeckys body language at that season ending presser it sure as hell seems like he'd love to drain the swamp but is probably being blocked by his partners .

Nosebleed40

May 2, 2013
I was born an Isles fan. I'm 39 years old and I was a child when they won their 4 stanley cups in a row. I remember bossy, trottier, potvin, smith, lafontaine....i remember the easter miracle and the david volek goal. I have watched it all. The last good memory i have is watching the isles go toe to toe with the Maple Leafs in the early 2000s. the win over the panthers was nice, but...it doesnt compare to shaun bates penalty shot and eric cairns beat downs.

having said that, FOR ME, i'm tired of the losing. i'm tired of spending my money doing the same thing over and over and over again. I go into seasons thinking we have a shot, thinking maybe, and then everything always just goes to hell. Incompetent management will do that to you. and I'm just tired of devoting my time to a franchise that just will not do what is necessary or is completely incapable of success. like, not even remotely occasionally. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result. ..and for me....i've just had enough of this clown show. i want to watch good hockey. i want to watch a team that makes good, shrewd moves. a team that has the real chance to do something special. over the last 30 years the islanders have shown themselves completely incapable of doing so, save for a few fleeting moments. it really is too much for me. i wish them the best, i hope it turns around. if it does, i'll be there. but i dont have the time to devote to a lost cause anymore.

41 years old, and this is my mindset as well. I’m tired of this garbage. If Snow hasn’t been fired after 12 years of utter incompetence, then he never will be. I’m done. Their best player is about to leave. Their top prospect thinks management is a joke. What does it take for change? Obviously, to this shitshow, nothing.

Reactions: TeamKidd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad