Dreger: Islanders interested in Hanifin

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Islanders have zero prospects and hardly any cap space next season thanks to Lou handing out 7 or 8 year deals and no trade clauses like candy at Halloween. I'm guessing he wants to hamstring the team so no GM will want to replace him and take his job.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Wahlstrom looks like a complete bust, you don’t want him
IMG_2092.jpeg

I’m not saying you’re wrong but people in glass houses…

Wahlstrom vs Kakko (#2 OA btw)

IMG_2091.jpeg

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm sure NYI are interested, but I suspect that there must be teams able to make better offers.

I don't see why Flames would take on Pageau, and I don't know who NYI replace him with if they were to deal him. So it seems unlikely to me that he'd be involved. He still looks like the same guy on the ice, but his shot has become an undercooked muffin (probably the result of injuries).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm sure NYI are interested, but I suspect that there must be teams able to make better offers.

I don't see why Flames would take on Pageau, and I don't know who NYI replace him with if they were to deal him. So it seems unlikely to me that he'd be involved. He still looks like the same guy on the ice, but his shot has become an undercooked muffin (probably the result of injuries).
First you have to remove the 8 teams he doesn't want to be traded to.
Then you have to remove the teams that can't fit his cap.
Then, if you want high prospects, you have to remove a lot of those teams (Islanders potentially included, although it depends what position and what kind of prospect you want)
How much are teams willing to spend on Hanifin and can they plan him in their future line-up for 2024-2025 at the contract he may want?
Islanders would need to send salary back.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
First you have to remove the 8 teams he doesn't want to be traded to.
Everything you say is irrelevant unless NYI can provide greater value to the Flames than they'd get for Hanifin as a rental. I feel pretty certain that there will be multiple contenders which he won't block trades to who will want him as a rental.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Everything you say is irrelevant unless NYI can provide greater value to the Flames than they'd get for Hanifin as a rental. I feel pretty certain that there will be multiple contenders which he won't block trades to who will want him as a rental.
That doesn't make it irrelevant because you feel confident. That just means possibilities exist and ways around issues that may get in the way.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Lou would be smart to grab Hanifin but we all know Lou don’t leak, to the point of paranoia. So what exactly was the context????
people are just trying to drum up more support of hanifin so that the price get's just outside of stupid and yzerman has to pay more to get him.

It'll all be fine soon enough.

Reactions: Petes2424

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I mean I've been so wrong on the values to Toffoli and Zadorov I've lost all confidence in what any of our players are worth. I'm not wrong on what they are. Zadorov will play as a #3 for Vancouver and Toffoli will get 30-40 goals like I said he would, but somehow that's only worth a 3rd and throwaway asset.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
That doesn't make it irrelevant because you feel confident. That just means possibilities exist and ways around issues that may get in the way.
Everything we state here is our opinions. That said, a top-pair (even if not super high end top pair) defender on an expiring deal is going to be one of if not the most valuable asset traded at the deadline purely as a rental. Add salary retention (or salary coming back), and the price goes up.

I think NYI should absolutely explore a deal for Hanifin, but possibly as part of a reshuffling that moves Pulock out. It does not make sense for NYI to pay Pulock what he's making. They need a player like Hanifin much more than they need Pulock. But that kind of multiple deal scenario is pretty difficult to pull off.

Reactions: The Real JT

Bond

May 10, 2012
I’d love adding Hanifin and I’d give up a decent amount with an extension. Excited to see if this has legs.
Most reliable Flames insider says they are aiming for a sign and trade

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Most reliable Flames insider says they are aiming for a sign and trade

Every team aims for a sign and trade when trading away a player. You get more value in that case. Whether it’s possible is not really up to the trading team.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
No way on Romanov .. isles gave up a first to get him , he is only like 23 years old , has another season after this at 2.5 mill and is a RFA after the 23-24 season , he’s right on track getting better as he gets more games ,and he is a big hitter …He is not going anywhere
Given the Isles cap and NTC situation + the fact that the flames just lost Zadorov + everything you just mentioned I can see Romanov as a clear centerpiece for this deal. I could even see it being as simple as Romanov + Bolduc + low pick for Hanifin. Calgary immediately replaces players in the mold of what they just traded (obviously Bolduc has some developing to do). I think the Isles have more trust in Aho than most fans do, and picking up Reilly helps with the veteran depth as well.

Hanifin - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Aho - Mayfield
Reilly

Bond

May 10, 2012
Every team aims for a sign and trade when trading away a player. You get more value in that case. Whether it’s possible is not really up to the trading team.
Makes sense on Hanifin though. I think most serious buyers would want him on an extension. Tanev and Lindholm less so depending on where they are going

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Given the Isles cap and NTC situation + the fact that the flames just lost Zadorov + everything you just mentioned I can see Romanov as a clear centerpiece for this deal. I could even see it being as simple as Romanov + Bolduc + low pick for Hanifin. Calgary immediately replaces players in the mold of what they just traded (obviously Bolduc has some developing to do). I think the Isles have more trust in Aho than most fans do, and picking up Reilly helps with the veteran depth as well.

Hanifin - Dobson
Pelech - Pulock
Aho - Mayfield
Reilly
I really think that's going to be way too much money for a D-corps long-term, especially when Dobson gets paid. Imagine a 16+M first pairing, 12M 2nd pairing, and 4.5-5M bottom pairing. That's 45M dedicated to D and G. I still dont' think it makes sense unless NYI deal Pulock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad