Dreger: Islanders interested in Hanifin

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Just said on the Leafs - Kraken TSN pre-game that the Islanders are interested in Hanifin and Hanifin might get the extension he wants that way.
Does Lou have the assets to send the other way? He seems a little thin in the draft pick department.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Apparently you get to offer picks a round lower than they should be if you're trading with us. We traded a 30-40 goal ppg forward for a 3rd and warm body. We traded the 2nd most physical defenseman in the league for a 3rd and 5th. Why not offer a 3rd and warm body and see if you can get a young top pairing defenseman for it?

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Realistically, 2024 first round pick and maybe a prospect like Bolduc given the Flames recent trade demands of other players?

Islanders defense will be pretty nice when healthy:

Pelech - Pulock
Hanifin - Dobson
Romanov - Mayfield

The key word in your response is “have”.
Huh? What's your point.

Yeah, the key word is have. Otherwise the response wouldn't have made sense.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
I'm going to go ahead and guess with Conroy at the helm, a 2028 2nd rounder and a 2030 7th rounder.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Realistically, 2024 first round pick and maybe a prospect like Bolduc given the Flames recent trade demands of other players?

Islanders defense will be pretty nice when healthy:

Pelech - Pulock
Hanifin - Dobson
Romanov - Mayfield

Huh? What's your point.

Yeah, the key word is have. Otherwise the response wouldn't have made sense.
Lou is all in. Draft picks are just capital to aquire established players.
Didn’t think that neede to be explained, especially for someone who is an isles fan.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Lou is all in. Draft picks are just capital to aquire established players.
Didn’t think that neede to be explained, especially for someone who is an isles fan.
So you expect people to just say "had draft picks" if they are expected to be traded?

Seems dumb. Presently, the Islanders HAVE their draft picks aside from those two.

Reactions: LeonDraisaitl

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Lou would be smart to grab Hanifin but we all know Lou don’t leak, to the point of paranoia. So what exactly was the context????

Reactions: xECK29x

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Lou would be smart to grab Hanifin but we all know Lou don’t leak, to the point of paranoia. So what exactly was the context????

Pretty well exactly as stated. The segment started talking about the return Zadorov got and the Leafs likely would have had to pay more due to the ownership not wanting to help Treliving. Then he started talking about other defense targets around the league.

Along with this, he also said he heard teams asking about Ristolainen due to his strong play this season and a few other small things I can't remember.

Reactions: Petes2424

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think NYI would need to send Pageau the other way, I think Hanifin is gonna be around 6.75-7.25M to re-sign.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Please god make that happen. I'd sent our first with him.

1st
Wahlstrom
Pageau
Bolduc
2nd or 3rd (could be in different years)

Might be something there for that.

Pageau is kind of a cap dump (MNTC so not sure if Calgary is on the list) but the picks would help along with younger roster players with team control in Bolduc and Wahlstrom, even though they haven't lit the world on fire, Calgary does need bodies.

I should say I am 3rd party on this and not a fan of either team so maybe it's over/under selling the value of Hanifin at 50% retained.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
1st
Wahlstrom
Pageau
Bolduc
2nd or 3rd (could be in different years)

Might be something there for that.

Pageau is kind of a cap dump (MNTC so not sure if Calgary is on the list) but the picks would help along with younger roster players with team control in Bolduc and Wahlstrom, even though they haven't lit the world on fire, Calgary does need bodies.

I should say I am 3rd party on this and not a fan of either team so maybe it's over/under selling the value of Hanifin at 50% retained.
If Wahlstrom is traded, who’s gonna make the clueless defensive plays on the 3rd line?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad