Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don’t know who is available. Raanta as a UFA.

Do any teams have a surplus of goalies?

What you are looking for is not available on the trade market unless you count Jimmy Howard as top 15.

Washington will have a surplus, samsonov coming over, but they can always stash him in the AHL. Grubauer is top 15, but can be.

Saros could be made available, but Isles will have to part with something good to get him out of Nashville.

The simple/obvious solution here is
Raanta. He might want to come back east - Islanders could offer that opportunity. Raanta and Greiss doesn't seem like an upgrade IMO.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
What you are looking for is not available on the trade market unless you count Jimmy Howard as top 15.

Washington will have a surplus, samsonov coming over, but they can always stash him in the AHL. Grubauer is top 15, but can be.

Saros could be made available, but Isles will have to part with something good to get him out of Nashville.

Raanta. He might want to come back east - Islanders could offer that opportunity. Raanta and Greiss doesn't seem like an upgrade IMO.

I don't know if any of the free agent goalies are a real upgrade. I think we will need to trade for one. Let's say we make a pitch for someone like Saros. Does both 2nd round picks get it done? Are there any other goalies that could become available in the right trade?

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I don't know if any of the free agent goalies are a real upgrade. I think we will need to trade for one. Let's say we make a pitch for someone like Saros. Does both 2nd round picks get it done? Are there any other goalies that could become available in the right trade?

Two-second rounders won't be enough - There is a precedent with Talbot, but Saros is a top goalie prospect. You would have to look at the Sabres trading the 21 OA pick in 2015 draft for Robin Lehner as the closest comparison.

I threw out a potential deal for Saros that got ripped - Saros for Nelson. I figured a 20 goal scorer, who plays C (albeit is better at W) for saros could work. In my head, Nashville was the rumored team at the deadline that really wanted Nelson. But, again that was only in my mind.

I wonder if the High second pick we own and one of our D prospects (Wotherspoon or Vande Sompel or Aho) could work?
Maybe Nelson can go to a team for a late #1 and then flip that pick to Nashville for Saros.

It's going to take some creative moves to land a proper Goalie

Reactions: IODCPiper

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
With Snow’s unknown length extension and if firing Weight means firing his buddies he brought in too, there’s a real possibility these same incompetent boobs are all back next year.

How could ownership spin this as a positive, regardless of what Tavares does? Love Tavares but they can miss the playoffs with or without him. As Botta pointed out, there were no crippling injuries, what’s the excuse for this hot mess? Give them all another try? If at first you don’t succeed.......

Reactions: Darth Bangkok

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005

I haven't seen enough of Raanta to state he's better than Halak, but his numbers this year have blown Halak's out for quite some time. That said, he doesn't have a sampling.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I haven't seen enough of Raanta to state he's better than Halak, but his numbers this year have blown Halak's out for quite some time. That said, he doesn't have a sampling.

I've always been leery of goalies who put up good numbers, but in small sample sizes. You could very well end up with a future starting stud, or you could have a case like with Greiss, where one really good year fools the team into signing you long-term and you regressing back to being a typical NHL backup.

For every Martin Jones there's two or three of Greiss or Scott Darling.

Reactions: periferal

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I've always been leery of goalies who put up good numbers, but in small sample sizes. You could very well end up with a future starting stud, or you could have a case like with Greiss, where one really good year fools the team into signing you long-term and you regressing back to being a typical NHL backup.

To me it's hard to evaluate this goaltending behind a historically bad defense. Maybe a Roy/Hasek would have had good numbers but most mortals will wilt if the defensI've systems/players are not drastically upgraded, over the course of an 82 game season. I'd be nervous handing out a big $ contract to anyone unless Richardson/Cronin are canned and at least one upgrade for a defensive defenseman isn't made.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Or our old friend "The Chad" Johnson.

upload_2018-3-26_15-57-17.png

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Couldn't agree more. Forgetting goalies...I always think you should want to see a player do it twice before thinking he's a long term answer at any position.

Like with Anders Lee...Last year he caught my eye with his 34 goal season. Before that I thought he'd be a nice 3rd line wing who might get 15-20 goals. However to now back last year up with 38 goals and counting, well that's legit. No one is going to confuse him with Ovechkin, but I think you can now count on 30+ goals from him a year.

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I agree, I just don’t see any number 1 D men being available.

Two second pairings is more realistic.

John Carlson is available; I'd sooner throw the max at him than JT. That he leads the leaguefor dmen in scoring is a surprising bonus, I like him for his tough defensive play.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
John Carlson is available; I'd sooner throw the max at him than JT. That he leads the leaguefor dmen in scoring is a surprising bonus, I like him for his tough defensive play.

I choose JT over Carlson 10 out of 10.

I’d love to add Carlson. Me thinks he’s too expensive and I don’t like his defense. If we could land him and retain JT we’ll be in good shape; not sure on the numbers though.

Reactions: FourRings and SI

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
i don't care if we don't make a single player move.... as long as snow and weight are gone. They need to go this is ridiculous that they're both still here. I don't care about any personal decisions as long as these 2 clowns are gone

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I've asked this before: why with like 8 other teams who are going to give him offers will he choose to come here unless they give him a ridiculous overpayment?

nystromshairstylist

Dec 13, 2009
I've asked this before: why with like 8 other teams who are going to give him offers will he choose to come here unless they give him a ridiculous overpayment?

The NYI are on the rise, and just need a few more pieces to become a solid contender - the caps' window is passing as they are getting old. It would help if they hired professional team management, which would instill some confidence of free agents in the team's infrastructure.

NewYorkIsles

Jun 30, 2012
Nassau County
The NYI are on the rise, and just need a few more pieces to become a solid contender - the caps' window is passing as they are getting old. It would help if they hired professional team management, which would instill some confidence of free agents in the team's infrastructure.

"New York Islanders are on the rise." If I had a nickel every time I heard that I could probably buy the Islanders

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Carlson is overrated. Pulock looks he’ll provide a similar impact at roughly 1/3rd of the cost, and I don’t usually want to preaching looking at it from a cost persepctive, but that contract will be bad if he gets what I think he will.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Carlson is overrated. Pulock looks he’ll provide a similar impact at roughly 1/3rd of the cost, and I don’t usually want to preaching looking at it from a cost persepctive, but that contract will be bad if he gets what I think he will.

With Pulock's emergence, I have to agree, we still need another top 4 D just don't it is Carlsson at 7m for 7y.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Hockeybuzz and Eklund have Holtby - Isles craze going.

It's Eklund, but it does state that Samsonov is coming over.

One of the GK are going to be available - Holtby has a NTC and 2 years left making it more difficult for a trade to happen.

But, Grubauer is another story.

I think he is the target.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
With Pulock's emergence, I have to agree, we still need another top 4 D just don't it is Carlsson at 7m for 7y.

Is there something wrong with 2 Pulocks? I mean, if Hickey goes, its like another Pulock for only like 4M more then Hickey made. If JT leaves, why not?

Reactions: nystromshairstylist

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Hockeybuzz and Eklund have Holtby - Isles craze going.

It's Eklund, but it does state that Samsonov is coming over.

One of the GK are going to be available - Holtby has a NTC and 2 years left making it more difficult for a trade to happen.

But, Grubauer is another story.

I think he is the target.
Resign JT and replace Garth and Doug with say Lombardi and Sutter/Quenville and all of a sudden Holtby may think "That might not be so bad after all".

Reactions: nystromshairstylist
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad