GDT: Islanders @ Ducks 7 PM PT Hyperbole Edition!

TheIceman93

Apr 11, 2016
An overtime the Ducks didn`t lose - it will be talked about for generations :sarcasm:

Did not see the game but looks like refs blew it. I read on twitter that Kase had a solid game and came close to score and was one of our most dangerous players. How much of that is true?

Very true, he had two great attempts that hit the post, he fought for pucks all night and created a lot of offense. Plus he scored the shootout goal that would have given us the win had the refs not played favorites and given the opposing team a freebie point on what is probably the worst allowed goal this season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
As I said on the main board, that just emphasizes how bad a call it was from the ref. He never saw the puck cross the line. You can tell from the replay. What he saw was the puck in the net afterwards, and he called it a goal.

For that rule to completely overshadow any and all common sense regarding the play, is ****ing stupid. This was a case where it shouldn't matter what the ref said/called. It was obvious what happened.

Yeah, I don't know what he was watching, but if he paid any attention at all to Hickey, he would have blown the play dead without ever having to look for the puck.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
I see the main argument about whether his pad was pushed into the net (which it clearly was). How about the fact that it's a rebound goal in a shootout? He stuffs it into the pad, that's a save. The extra push makes it a second attempt.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Thought we played well, we dominated ES for most of the game but had 0 luck. Isles only looked dangerous on their 5 PP's and Greiss is probably the luckiest goaltender we'll see at Honda Center all season.

I see the main argument about whether his pad was pushed into the net (which it clearly was). How about the fact that it's a rebound goal in a shootout? He stuffs it into the pad, that's a save. The extra push makes it a second attempt.
Same thing I said to myself watching this game, it's either a double hit by the attacker or he's shoved the goaltender into the net - there is no possible way that could be a legal goal and it's ridiculous the refs didn't have the balls to admit they made a mistake.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
People are making such a big deal over them dropping the Las. Everyone calls it Vegas anyway.

And everyone at work calls me Elvis (true) :nod:

On topic... I'm speechless. I can't believe that one counted. I'm usually not the one to complain about refs, but in this scenario 90% of the members on HFboards could've made the right call. I expect mistakes, but this one really makes NHL refs lose credibility. It's paintfully obvious they didn't want to overrule their own initial call. If the situation room in Toronto handled this, we would have an additional point right now.

Last edited:

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How was Bernier last night?

Are you guys kind of thinking another 1a/1b type goalie situation this year? Or will it be slightly in Gibbys favor... like a 65/35 % type thing?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I'm still pissed off.

It's looking like a 65%/35%. Bernier has been playing very well, though.

It just seems like Bernier is always so consistent. Some games Gibson can play so damn well but other games it just seems like he isn't feeling it and will let in a couple soft ones. im curious to see how this situation plays out for the year

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
And everyone at work calls me Elvis (true) :nod:

On topic... I'm speechless. I can't believe that one counted. I'm usually not the one to complain about refs, but in this scenario 90% of the members on HFboards could've made the right call. I expect mistakes, but this one really makes NHL refs lose credibility. It's paintfully obvious they didn't want to overrule their own initial call. If the situation room in Toronto handled this, we would have an additional point right now.

They did, we didn't.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Oh well, Rocky is still @ppg.

All about the name on the back of the shirt right?

Late to the party, just finished watching the game, that shootout goal counting was *********.

Fowler was incredible. He looked off recently (since being paired with Vatanen...) was good to see him step up. Maybe Carlyle should look at keeping them separated.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No, they didn't make the call like they usually do. They just told the officials to look at it. It's an idiotic way to do reviews.

This sure sounds like they did...

Plus....

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This sure sounds like they did...

Plus....

That means that hockey operations says "yo, idiot, better take a second look at that" instead of the coach saying "yo, idiot, please take a second look at that". The officials looked at the gameboy and made the call. It was exactly the same as the linesmen reviewing an offside call. Hockey operations has no actual input past "yo, idiot".

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
That means that hockey operations says "yo, idiot, better take a second look at that" instead of the coach saying "yo, idiot, please take a second look at that". The officials looked at the gameboy and made the call. It was exactly the same as the linesmen reviewing an offside call. Hockey operations has no actual input past "yo, idiot".

I understand that the on ice officials looked at, but I don't read that to mean Toronto just sat there and said "you guys figure it out". I'm in no way defending the call, I'm just of the belif that Toronto did "review" it and refused to overturn the call.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I understand that the on ice officials looked at, but I don't read that to mean Toronto just sat there and said "you guys figure it out". I'm in no way defending the call, I'm just of the belif that Toronto did "review" it and refused to overturn the call.

Additional Notes Regarding Scenarios Subject to Expanded Video Review

1. The League will make available in all arenas, technology (either a handheld tablet or a television or computer monitor) that will allow on-ice Officials, in conjunction with the Toronto Video Room, to view replays if, and only to the extent, a formal Coach's Challenge has been initiated (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review by Hockey Operations is initiated). To the extent practical, the replays made available to the Officials on the ice will be the same replays that are being utilized by the Toronto Video Room.

2 Once a Challenge has been initiated (or, in the final minute of play or in Overtime, a review is initiated by Hockey Operations), the Toronto Video Room will immediately establish contact with the Referee (or Linesman) responsible for the call on the ice via the headset and will inquire and discuss with the Referee (or Linesman), prior to the Referee (or Linesman) examining any video, the following: (a) the Referee's (or Linesman's) "final" call on the ice; and (b) what the Referee (or Linesman) observed on the play.

3. The on-ice call will then be reviewed simultaneously by the appropriate on-ice Officials at ice level and by Hockey Operations in the Toronto Video Room using any and all replays at their disposal. After reviewing the play and consulting with the Toronto Video Room, the appropriate on-ice Officials will then make the "final" decision on whether to uphold or overturn the original call on the ice. Once the decision is made, the Referee will inform the Penalty Timekeeper/PA Announcer and will make the announcement on the ice.

It's on the referees.

https://www.nhl.com/news/board-of-governors-approves-2015-16-rules-changes/c-771976

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

That seems to be what it is saying, but then why the hell is Toronto reviewing it if they aren't going to have final authority? And does this mean that every review in Toronto is ultimately given back to the on ice officials to have the final say? That certainly isn't what we have been led to believe. And if not, then what distinguishes who has the final say on which so called "reviews"? This seems to make things even more confusing regarding so called reviews. WTF? :loony:

TheIceman93

Apr 11, 2016
Thanks refs, all we did was soften up the Islanders so the Kings could walk over them tonight, get an easy two points and pull ahead of us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad