OT: Islander Fans Eatery Discussion

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Hurricane Wings Bar and Grill in Garden City is pretty cool. Nice atmosphere and cheap eats. The food isn't to die for but it's a fun place to go with a group of friends. It's right on Stewart in Stewart Plaza.

I go there a lot after games. Like you said the food is good but not anything life changing. Excellent boneless wings favors and beer selection.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I grew up in Queens Village so I'm very familiar with Cara Mia. I still go there occasionally. I also still go to Gaby's Pizza on Hillside at Francis Lewis Blvd in Hollis. I grew up on that pizza and still get it once a month. They got popular a few years ago when they won a "Best Pizza" contest on the Rachel Ray Show.

I don't go out very much on Bell Blvd. Bourbon Street for cajun is the only place on Bell I go regularly.

Bourbon St. is excellent food.

I also like other spots on Bell like Tequila Sunrise and Donovans. Although I've sworn off the Bell Donovan's for the Woodside one since the tragic renovation where they manhattanized the place. Uncle Jack's is good but the price is way too steep for Bayside.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Some other favorites:

German - Koenigs in Floral Park

Belgian - Waterzooi in Garden City

Greek Take out - Fontana's in Bayside

Additional Pizza places I haven't seen named yet: Mama Theresa's of Garden City Park, Pizzarama in Bayside, and there's a great place in Bayville but the name escapes me right now.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I grew up in Queens Village so I'm very familiar with Cara Mia. I still go there occasionally. I also still go to Gaby's Pizza on Hillside at Francis Lewis Blvd in Hollis. I grew up on that pizza and still get it once a month. They got popular a few years ago when they won a "Best Pizza" contest on the Rachel Ray Show.

I don't go out very much on Bell Blvd. Bourbon Street for cajun is the only place on Bell I go regularly.

Small world ! I grew up in Queens Village as well, on 221st street and 90th ave. Been to Bourbon Street, not bad. Been to Gabby's also, enjoyed it a lot.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Bourbon St. is excellent food.

I also like other spots on Bell like Tequila Sunrise and Donovans. Although I've sworn off the Bell Donovan's for the Woodside one since the tragic renovation where they manhattanized the place. Uncle Jack's is good but the price is way too steep for Bayside.

Been to both Donovan's. Always preferred the Woodside version, especially for St Patty's Day. But I have family in Bayside, so we go to that Donovan's for St Patty's Day. Also they have great burgers.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Some other favorites:

German - Koenigs in Floral Park

Belgian - Waterzooi in Garden City

Greek Take out - Fontana's in Bayside

Additional Pizza places I haven't seen named yet: Mama Theresa's of Garden City Park, Pizzarama in Bayside, and there's a great place in Bayville but the name escapes me right now.

Where is Pizzarama in Bayside ? Also where is Fontana's ? Thanks in advance for any info. BTW, for all those who know Queens well, Jack's Pizza in the Bay Terrace Shopping Mall is excellent pizza, right up there with ViPizza.

PJGooch

Aug 2, 2005
Just looked at their menu, and made a note to go there. Also adding Left Coast Kitchen to my list.

Make sure they show you the specials board. The regular menu is great but some of the specials are off the charts.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Where is Pizzarama in Bayside ? Also where is Fontana's ? Thanks in advance for any info. BTW, for all those who know Queens well, Jack's Pizza in the Bay Terrace Shopping Mall is excellent pizza, right up there with ViPizza.

both are divey hidden gems that are more suited to take out. Although eating in Fontana's can be very fun but be warned it's busy and loud. I grew up in Bayside and on Pizzarama plain. Some people say Pizzarama has lost a little off it's fastball and that maybe true but I still really enjoy it... but stick to the pizza not any of the other food. Fontana's I recommend the lamb gyro with extra tzatziki sauce on the side... the portions are huge and you'll need it.

Pizzarama:
3715 Francis Lewis Blvd
Bayside, NY 11361
Bayside, Flushing

Fontana's
http://www.fontanagyros.com/
200-02 Northern Blvd.
Bayside, NY 11361

scott99

May 13, 2005
both are divey hidden gems that are more suited to take out. Although eating in Fontana's can be very fun but be warned it's busy and loud. I grew up in Bayside and on Pizzarama plain. Some people say Pizzarama has lost a little off it's fastball and that maybe true but I still really enjoy it... but stick to the pizza not any of the other food. Fontana's I recommend the lamb gyro with extra tzatziki sauce on the side... the portions are huge and you'll need it.

Pizzarama:
3715 Francis Lewis Blvd
Bayside, NY 11361
Bayside, Flushing

Fontana's
http://www.fontanagyros.com/
200-02 Northern Blvd.
Bayside, NY 11361
Thanks !!

***Edit*** Now I remember Fontana, a buddy of mine took me there a couple of years ago. Huge delicious Gyros, famous place, been on Northern forever, yellowish building. Old wooden seats in their booths.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Has anyone here ever gone to New Haven, they have two very well known pizza places- Frank Pepe's and Sally!s. Both have thin crust made in coal burning ovens, and are very good, slightly prefer Sally's myself. Stopped in at Sally's on the way home today, had some there, took the rest home.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Has anyone here ever gone to New Haven, they have two very well known pizza places- Frank Pepe's and Sally!s. Both have thin crust made in coal burning ovens, and are very good, slightly prefer Sally's myself. Stopped in at Sally's on the way home today, had some there, took the rest home.

Top notch. Pretty good pastry shop down the block.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007

Went to Frank Pepe's a while back when I was helping a friend move into their college dorm. Didn't think the pizza was anything special but thought their fried calzone was off the chain.

BroadwayJay*

Also, The Spot, if that is still around.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I've seen those 2 Pizza places (Sally's and Pepe's) on TV a few times, the pizza looks excellent. Reminds me of the famous NYC joints like Lombardi's and Patsy's etc.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Pepe's is the best Pizza I've had outside NY.... and it's better than a lot of places here, even.

ML19

Nov 21, 2011
Long Island

Modern and bar also have excellent pizza. I'd say they're on par or better than pepe's on occasion. Those Yalies sure know how to do pizza the right way.

[edit] i didn't realize how many people from new haven were on hf. We should have an Islanders meet up at one of these spots.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The one nearest me is in White Plains, which would be over a two hour ride, will try it next time in the area.

I don't know if I'd drive 2 hours purposely just to have it, but if you're in White Plains, I think you'll enjoy it Rex.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
I grew up on Pizza Supreme in Garden City, from what I heard it's gone downhill. Little V's never disappoints and of the nicer by the slice places that double as ristorantes I enjoyed Emilios in Commack and La Piazza in Plainview. So many good slices out there and I rarely ever remember getting a bad slice or knot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad