Is this the worst performance by the top seeds in both conferences in NHL history?

flashy

In the name of Kane.
Dec 17, 2009
Edmonton
the bolts at times dominated play.

i can honestly not remember any time other then game 1 where that happened for the flames.

Reactions: binop7

SavedByRoy

Bite the noose
Feb 17, 2006
Fort Myers
has a 1-8 combined record for the top 2 seeds in a conference ever been matched or beaten? it.s usually 4-2 or 4-3 if the 1 seed goes down...

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well... Yes. First time both 1st seeds go out in the first round so...

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
Unbelievable -hard to understand how this could happen in such a one sided fashion.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I am more surprised that Flames won the western conference than they are going out now.

Thought Calgary would breeze through Colorado, but thought they might struggle with their goaltending. For the team to go out in 5 with an elite goaltending performance is mindblowing.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Unbelievable to me how bad the Lightning and Flames looked in the playoffs. Is this the worst you've ever seen?
Considering it’s the first time in history both top seeds were bounced in round 1, yup.

JurassicTunga

it is what it is
Mar 21, 2010
There's something about fighting for a playoff spot vs clinching one early on. Both Columbus and Colorado were playing must win games for over a month now, so they definitely had a mental edge on both teams, and clearly Calgary and Tampa were just not prepared for playoff hockey.

Flames weren't nearly the same after the all star break. Just like the previous year, lol. Definitely backed into the playoffs and is one of the reasons they lost.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s definitely the most convincing and clear throttlings I’ve seen the #1 seeds take in the same year.

Combination of both the top seeds playing very underwhelming hockey and the lower seeds putting in some tremendous efforts and executing at a high level.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I never expected Calgary or Tampa to play that bad in the first round.

They blew their load in the regular season playing at a unsustainable level for too long.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Flames weren't nearly the same after the all star break. Just like the previous year, lol. Definitely backed into the playoffs and is one of the reasons they lost.

Yep. Neither team has ever at any point had their back against the wall, and it showed. They didn't know what it was like to play must win hockey.

Reactions: db2011

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
Calgary's loss is as bad as Tampa's. Getting beat by a 38 win team, talk about embarrassing. Atleast Columbus won more than half of their games. This ain't no knock on the Avs, just mad respect shutting the Flames down. Both Avs and Blue Jackets remind me of '95 Devils and '12 Kings.

Reactions: Sentinel and Hoek

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
There's something about fighting for a playoff spot vs clinching one early on. Both Columbus and Colorado were playing must win games for over a month now, so they definitely had a mental edge on both teams, and clearly Calgary and Tampa were just not prepared for playoff hockey.

That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking too.

Didn’t Ottawa do the same thing a couple of years ago that had them a goal away from the SCF?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad