Is this the worst performance by the top seeds in both conferences in NHL history?

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
All those people picking Tampa Calgary should know that top seeds almost never play each other in the final let alone even make the top four.

Also this is the first time in NHL history they’ve both lost.

has a 1-8 combined record for the top 2 seeds in a conference ever been matched or beaten? it.s usually 4-2 or 4-3 if the 1 seed goes down...

This is the first time in the NHLs hundred years where the top seed in both conferences have lost in the first round.

Not only lose but lose by a combined series score of 8-1.

MrPucky66

Jun 1, 2017
I have a gut feeling that the Penguins may be the only lowered seeded team to NOT make it out of the first round.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Unbelievable to me how bad the Lightning and Flames looked in the playoffs. Is this the worst you've ever seen?

This is the first time in NHL History both #1 seeds were kicked out by #8 seeds. We have seen it happen to 1 team but not both. This is an epic loss for both teams. Funny enough, both teams met in the 2004 Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This is why the Stanley Cup playoffs are the best thing in sports.

If they ever go to something like what European soccer leagues do (and I'm a soccer fan), I hope I'm long gone from this Earth.

Reactions: Sushiko

AzHawk

Dec 20, 2015
I guess beating up on the Atlantic and Pacific divisions doesn't really prepare you for much

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Washington won the Metro, currently 2-2 vs Carolina
Tampa won the Atlantic, eliminated by Columbus 4-0

Nashville won the Central, currently 2-2 vs Dallas
Calgary won the Pacific, eliminated by Colorado 4-1

Its possible that all of the division winners gets eliminated in the first round,
i reckon that's never happened before either.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Unbelievable to me how bad the Lightning and Flames looked in the playoffs. Is this the worst you've ever seen?

Yes it is, and it's not even close.

This is the first time in NHL history that the top seeds have both lost in the first round. That automatically makes it the worst performance. But it gets worse.

Not only did both teams lose their series, and get dominated throughout pretty much all of their series; they combined for only 1 win.

Since no two top seeds have both lost in the first round, we know that the fewest combined victories by two top seeds is at least 4. We know that it is exactly 4 just by looking at 2017: Chicago was the top seed in the West with 0 playoff wins, and Washington was the top seed in the East, with 4 wins in the first round. A combined 4 wins. (Some people might mention years with a best of 5 series. If somebody can find me a year where one top seed won their series with 3 wins and the other top seed was swept, I can update this post with an asterisk.)

Not only did Tampa and Calgary come together to set the all-time record for fewest combined wins by the top seeds in each conference. Their record was one quarter of the previous record.

Sega Dreamcast

party like it's 1999
May 6, 2009
Charlotte
Yep. Neither team has ever at any point had their back against the wall, and it showed. They didn't know what it was like to play must win hockey.

I'd be curious to see how these teams reacted to a bad loss near the end of the season.

If they were down by 2 goals in a meaningless game, did they give up or still compete? Do they know how to knuckle down and outwork the other team, or do they solely rely on their skill?

For example, I just watched the condensed game for the Lighting losing 6-3 to the Capitals on 3/30. Down by 3 after the first period, and the Lightning just looked disinterested.

Playing like that on Fan Appreciation night is some hilarious foreshadowing.

Last edited:

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Not only did the 8th seed win, they were easily the better team in both series. This wasn't some miracle lucky win it was consistently outplaying the top seed over the course of the series.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
Going into the series I thought the Avs' only shot was potentially weak goaltending

Instead, Mike Smith stood on his head and played;

I know they say parity is real in the NHL but it still feels like a wacky start to the playoffs

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
There's something about fighting for a playoff spot vs clinching one early on. Both Columbus and Colorado were playing must win games for over a month now, so they definitely had a mental edge on both teams, and clearly Calgary and Tampa were just not prepared for playoff hockey.

The opposite holds true more often than not, 8th seeds/WC1-2 are almost always playing must win games till the last day of the season and still usually sent home right away. Tampa and Calgary both didn't come prepared but Columbus and Colorado are much stronger than a typical 8th seed as well.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
There's something about fighting for a playoff spot vs clinching one early on. Both Columbus and Colorado were playing must win games for over a month now, so they definitely had a mental edge on both teams, and clearly Calgary and Tampa were just not prepared for playoff hockey.

I get that Tampa Bay hadn't played meaningful games for a month, but Calgary.... they had to fight off SJ for their division.

It's one thing to essentially coast for a month. CGY actually played meaningful games late to edge out the Sharks, they did NOT coast late..... and they still suffered the same fate.

You can't say Calgary didn't play any meaningful games because they were trying to avoid Vegas. There's a difference between having a huge gap that TB had and CGY fending off SJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad