Is there any doubt that a Prime Jagr would have decimated this league?

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
He said two years ago that he was in better shape then, than he was during his 20s & 30s, so it isn't as simple as that.

Jagr is still decent due to his size. If he had Fleury's body, he would be gone 15 years ago.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
Prime Gretzky... 70Pts? He's somehow 70% less effective? Prime Have would be what Crosby was in his prime. He just plays a style of game that allows his to remain effective without needing top end speed. He has legendary vision and lower-body strength. He'd definitely be one of if not the best in the game, though.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Prime Gretzky... 70Pts? He's somehow 70% less effective? Prime Have would be what Crosby was in his prime. He just plays a style of game that allows his to remain effective without needing top end speed. He has legendary vision and lower-body strength. He'd definitely be one of if not the best in the game, though.

They had two different primes. Jagr was at his peak for more games than Crosby, Crosby has more seasons in his prime. Peak Jagr pushes 110 points last year.

Reactions: saffronleaf

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He said two years ago that he was in better shape then, than he was during his 20s & 30s, so it isn't as simple as that.

Jagr is still decent due to his size. If he had Fleury's body, he would be gone 15 years ago.

Better shape maybe slightly smarter due to experience and adapting to changes, but he wasn't nearly as fast as 90s Jagr, or as physically skilled as 05-06 Jagr. Jagr at his physical peak would be a 100-110 point player with little doubt, but I wouldn't go beyond that.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Because 5 points in 8 screams effective?

He's closer to 50 than he is to 40, and apparently players are done at 30 on here. It's also a sustainable pace for him given what we saw last season, around 50 points for a guy his age? Is there anyone in the league older than 38 right now capable of this?

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
What the title says.

Dude is 45 going on 46 and he is still effective in the era wherea prime Gretzky would score about 70 pts.
Well, there is doubt, as he didn't do it, but I'd take my chances and say he'd be a top player. He is, after all, an alltime great, and from a time that isn't even that long ago. He'd find a way to dominate. And his strengths are timeless. He isn't relying on goon tactics, he isn't overly relying on speed, he has the hockey IQ, he has soft hands and is one of the best puck protectors I have ever seen, he is strong, has a big reach and he is determined. That'll translate into any period.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal

This is simply BS.

He's not as fast (he looks like he's skating on a treadmill).
Not as explosive (not explosive at all anymore). Not as strong (he still a bit of old man strength).
His reflex are much slower. You always hear old people in sports saying "I'm in the best shape of my life" but it's BS to make them feel better. GSP said the same thing before his last fight, yet he gassed in 2 rounds.

A 25 year old Jagr would bulldoze through an old Jagr.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
I watched him play for the first time this year last night and he still moves better than most of our 30 year olds.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
The guy got 123 points in 2006 and 96 points in 2007. So he was like 35-36.

People are acting like he's from the 80's.
More like "from the 60s."

Prime Jagr would destroy the League. No grabbing and clutching, no red line, and goalies dropping to their knees at the first sight of the opponent? All day long for Jagr. That 7-4 game had some dismal goaltending!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
What the title says.

Dude is 45 going on 46 and he is still effective in the era wherea prime Gretzky would score about 70 pts.

A prime Jagr wasn't as good as a prime Lemieux. A prime Gretzky scoring 70 points is laughable. Jagr was/is a great player but he's not the player Lemieux or Gretzky was. They played together and it was clear out of the three who was the worst.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Peak Jagr is comparable to peak Crosby, which is probably comparable to peak McDavid. He'd be at, or near the top of the league every season, health permitting. Jagr's size and skillset would allow him to excel regardless of the era he played in.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think he'd be good, but I don't think he would "decimate" the league.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
absolutely. prime jagr was playing in an era where scoring was insanely high. prime jagr would get 60-70 points

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad