Speculation: Is the NHL season in jeapordy?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I think the clause is a bit more complicated than your suggesting
The league would certainly be in for a very nasty legal fight of they tried to pull that.

At a glance of the league were to try and pull thst, it would definitely read like they made a completely bad faith agreement earlier to get the players to finish the last season, only to pull a fast one.

That said, I suspect there's only a small handful of teams at present whod consider 100% cancelation their desired option at this point in time
Fair point.
It would probably be in the courts for a very long time but I do think the owners would prevail. It would not be that difficult to prove that the circumstances changed from 5 months ago. The virus is more widespread, the economic damage is growing and fans aren’t allowed in the stands, which the league is dependant on. It would be a pretty wild ruling if a judge ruled against the NHL.
Imagine how that would reverberate through society? Every business that closed or laid off staff during the pandemic would be susceptible to a similar ruling.
It would be a historic and landmark case.
Either way.... if the owners and players don’t find a common ground, that’s exactly where this is heading. Owners are not going to go ahead with the season as things stand now.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
They'll work something out. If they cancel the season, it could have major effects in some smaller American markets that were already not very well off. Not to mention, I'm sure they players prefer to make some money opposed to no money.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

member 300185

Did you not go to school? Your post makes no sense with all the "Da's". Get a grip, it is "the", not "da". Do you not want people to take your posts seriously?
Careful me. That person might have a German or Russian accent. They are Russian and speak 4 languages.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
The players agreed to take a 30% paycut this coming season.

It's not a pay cut.

Contracts are all based on assumptions of where revenues will be. If for some reasons revenues dropped 90%, the players have to make the owners whole. That's not a pay cut, it's just aligning to the collective bargaining agreement that both parties signed.

I would suggest seeking out on Brian Burke on this topic. He lays it out perfectly.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I haven't engaged in this topic because I don't want to argue about labour stuff here.

But it's a Saturday night with snow on the ground in Toronto. I miss hockey.

Reactions: ACC1224

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No they didn’t, they agreed to pay back the owners in future years, instead of this year. A loan isn’t a pay cut.

So in effect...the current set of players might be offloading a really bad payback scenario for future players to pay off if the economy is in shambles for a few years...and those future players will probably be playing for contracts that are much smaller than the current ones are...seems fair to me...

Reactions: axlrose87

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think the clause is a bit more complicated than your suggesting
The league would certainly be in for a very nasty legal fight of they tried to pull that.

At a glance of the league were to try and pull thst, it would definitely read like they made a completely bad faith agreement earlier to get the players to finish the last season, only to pull a fast one.

That said, I suspect there's only a small handful of teams at present whod consider 100% cancelation their desired option at this point in time

I'm not sure what the definition of "handful" (five fingers in a hand?) is in this case. There were articles/clips saying that the number is between 10 to 12 teams, so not sure that is an accurate description.

This is a tricky situation. If they stick with current 20% escrow and 10% deferred payment and several teams go under, are the players in a better situation? Let's say 4 teams go under, approx. 100 NHL players are going to be seeking jobs somewhere else. The cliche "be careful what you wish for" seems to come to mind.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure what the definition of "handful" (five fingers in a hand?) is in this case. There were articles/clips saying that the number is between 10 to 12 teams, so not sure that is an accurate description.

This is a tricky situation. If they stick with current 20% escrow and 10% deferred payment and several teams go under, are the players in a better situation? Let's say 4 teams go under, approx. 100 NHL players are going to be seeking jobs somewhere else. The cliche "be careful what you wish for" seems to come to mind.

There is no team that is going to 'go under'. If an owner wanted to bail, there would be a lineup of people wanting to purchase their team.

Franchise values continue to rise, year over year. No one is going to bail on a profitable wealth builder because of some liquidity issues - especially at a time where you can get a mortgage at a rate of 1%.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
There is no team that is going to 'go under'. If an owner wanted to bail, there would be a lineup of people wanting to purchase their team.

Franchise values continue to rise, year over year. No one is going to bail on a profitable wealth builder because of some liquidity issues - especially at a time where you can get a mortgage at a rate of 1%.

True, owners may be forced to sell. Hopefully they'll find better, richer owners then that want to lose money this year.

Hopefully players of those teams continue to get paid in the interim when the teams start collapsing financially. According to reports, teams will lose $60 m if they play games with little/no fans, but only $15 m if there no games. I've seen articles/clips that mention that the NHL's credit facility got lots of action last season.

Not sure why they couldn't find richer owners in the past when teams got into financial difficulties.

And, back to the actual main point, is it a handful or 10 to 12 teams (which isn't a handful)?

Last edited:
Reactions: axlrose87

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This article (& excerpt) was interesting:

"Information we’ve gathered over the last 48 hours indicates that the owners might have reason to be angry — but not at the union. Indeed, we’ve been told by two sources that club owners were largely uninformed about the spring and summer negotiations and had little or no time to examine the CBA before it was put to a vote."

"Now that the owners understand the ramifications of the deal given the challenges of playing at least a largely spectator-free 2020-21, there is a group livid at the commissioner and deputy Bill Daly. We are told that Boston’s “Mr. Jacobs” is among them."

https://nypost.com/2020/12/05/nhls-financial-squabble-rooted-in-owners-cba-botch/

Reactions: OddyOh

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

"Information we’ve gathered over the last 48 hours indicates that the owners might have reason to be angry — but not at the union. Indeed, we’ve been told by two sources that club owners were largely uninformed about the spring and summer negotiations and had little or no time to examine the CBA before it was put to a vote."

"Now that the owners understand the ramifications of the deal given the challenges of playing at least a largely spectator-free 2020-21, there is a group livid at the commissioner and deputy Bill Daly. We are told that Boston’s “Mr. Jacobs” is among them."

https://nypost.com/2020/12/05/nhls-financial-squabble-rooted-in-owners-cba-botch/

Heard the same thing on a podcast, most owners did not know details of deal.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008

Jacobs has the fifth most valuable franchise and more than enough money to front some money to the players during a pandemic.

But like I said earlier: the owners would rather focus their attention on squeezing the players rather than grow the game.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Jacobs has the fifth most valuable franchise and more than enough money to front some money to the players during a pandemic.

But like I said earlier: the owners would rather focus their attention on squeezing the players rather than grow the game.

Jacobs make his money off concessions from stadiums,
His company operates in the lodging, sporting, airport, gaming and entertainment industries.
not a good year for him.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Things going in the right direction it seems.
They haven't agreed on financials yet, but if they are informing players to return, they must think they are close or will figure it out.
Interesting to see if there will be pre season games.

Last edited:

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

They haven't agreed on financials yet, but if they are informing players to return, they must think they are close or will figure it out.

Oh mayne this is so beautiful :clap: And WISE. Many of us knew this before hand again and again. We belonged to that 18.4% who knew the last season was going to be played all the way through and now WE KNEW it again :clap: We know bout life, calculate mathematics and know bout ice hockey. This was so easy again. There was no way in hell the nhl and bettman would allow nhl not to happen, since every other major sports is happening too. Would be embarassing in their minds. We gon see our great leafs team on the ice again and this that woop woop action again sires!!!!! Wooooohooooooo

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007

That Joshua Marshall guy is usually wrong about everything I hope he’s right this time.

Edit : My bad thought this was the main boards lol sorry

Reactions: Coachcorner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad