Speculation: Is the NHL season in jeapordy?

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
With all the rhetoric heating up in the sports media, it is time to ask the question;
Is the NHL season in jeopardy?
I feel like everyone always just assumed it would happen but there are clearly some major issues. Covid-19 aside, there are major financial concerns as well. Owners stand to see major revenue shortfalls. Players have signed up for a 50/50 split. It seems as though the NHLPA just wants to push the problems down the line instead of dealing with it now. This could create a financially unstable NHL in the future.
No matter how you look at it, 50/50 is 50/50. In good times and in bad.
I don’t like that the NHLPA is trying to spread out debt repayment as far into the future as possible. I liken it to family debt. You either pay it back quickly or you slowly chip away at it and risk that the problem grows uncontrollably..... maybe even leaving your kids to deal with it when you are gone.
I am very excited for this new look Leafs team but I am growing concerned that there will not be a season.
What do people think?

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
No sire. Cause every other major sports is playing as we speak and beginning to play :clap:

Therefore, like we all saw this season, Bettman and his crew will not allow their great NHL to not be played. They gon be swaging and swerving real hard soon. Maybe even during january like they've planned all along. It'll happen, cause everybody else is playing sports too. Professional like Leon.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
No sire. Cause every other major sports is playing as we speak and beginning to play :clap:

Therefore, like we all saw this season, Bettman and his crew will not allow their great NHL to not be played. They gon be swaging and swerving real hard soon. Maybe even during january like they've planned all along. It'll happen, cause everybody else is playing sports too. Professional like Leon.
Yes. They are playing but the financial considerations are quite different and unique to the NHL:
- The NHL is more dependent on gate revenue than any other league.
- The NHL has a 50/50 revenue spilt.
- 50/50 also means sharing losses.

Your understand this right? The sarcasm is just for fun?
January 1st is just 4 weeks away. If and when that date gets pushed back, the odds of cancelling the season start going up.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
With all the rhetoric heating up in the sports media, it is time to ask the question;
Is the NHL season in jeopardy?
I feel like everyone always just assumed it would happen but there are clearly some major issues. Covid-19 aside, there are major financial concerns as well. Owners stand to see major revenue shortfalls. Players have signed up for a 50/50 split. It seems as though the NHLPA just wants to push the problems down the line instead of dealing with it now. This could create a financially unstable NHL in the future.
No matter how you look at it, 50/50 is 50/50. In good times and in bad.
I don’t like that the NHLPA is trying to spread out debt repayment as far into the future as possible. I liken it to family debt. You either pay it back quickly or you slowly chip away at it and risk that the problem grows uncontrollably..... maybe even leaving your kids to deal with it when you are gone.
I am very excited for this new look Leafs team but I am growing concerned that there will not be a season.
What do people think?
Bettman negotiated a deal. NHL BOD signed it. Players signed it.

Players came back to play based on this deal in COVID when they were already paid out last season too ... for owners benefit.

Ask yourself when da players lose 15% in escrow past 10 years every paycheck why are they funding da owners until true-up in late summer? Now when tables are reversed it is a NO GO. Players fund da owners for 8-10 months of each year.

People really need to think it through.

I hope we play hockey at all levels for sake of enjoyment of game. But from a NHL pro standpoint I hope we wait until October when we can resume as normal as season ticket holders.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Bettman negotiated a deal. NHL BOD signed it. Players signed it.

Players came back to play based on this deal in COVID when they were already paid out last season too ... for owners benefit.

Ask yourself when da players lose 15% in escrow past 10 years every paycheck why are they funding da owners until true-up in late summer? Now when tables are reversed it is a NO GO. Players fund da owners for 8-10 months of each year.

People really need to think it through.

I hope we play hockey at all levels for sake of enjoyment of game. But from a NHL pro standpoint I hope we wait until October when we can resume as normal as season ticket holders.
I am having a hard time reading your post with all the “da” stuff.
What I do know is that players and owners have a 50/50 revenue split. In good times and bad times. Whether the players pay 15% or 50% back now isn’t the issue. The issue is they owe it all regardless.... to get back to 50/50.
I think it is horribly greedy to pay as little as you can now... then retire.... and have the next generation continue to pay the owners back.
What happens if there is a new financial crisis in 5 years that compounds the issue? Those players pay 80% escrow?
What they players are trying to do hurts the league long term so that they can make more money now.
Anyone who thinks the owners are just going to foot the bill are out to lunch. The season will be cancelled long before that becomes an option.

Auston 316

Jun 25, 2016
I am having a hard time reading your post with all the “da” stuff.
What I do know is that players and owners have a 50/50 revenue split. In good times and bad times. Whether the players pay 15% or 50% back now isn’t the issue. The issue is they owe it all regardless.... to get back to 50/50.
I think it is horribly greedy to pay as little as you can now... then retire.... and have the next generation continue to pay the owners back.
What happens if there is a new financial crisis in 5 years that compounds the issue? Those players pay 80% escrow?
What they players are trying to do hurts the league long term so that they can make more money now.
Anyone who thinks the owners are just going to foot the bill are out to lunch. The season will be cancelled long before that becomes an option.

You don’t like da way he types? I honestly wonder if he talks like dat in person? It really is jarring to read.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
You don’t like da way he types? I honestly wonder if he talks like dat in person? It really is jarring to read.
I’m not mad about it or anything.... it just makes it difficult to read haha.
All good though.
God I hope these players wake up an realize they are playing in empty buildings and there is less money to go around.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I’m not mad about it or anything.... it just makes it difficult to read haha.
All good though.
God I hope these players wake up an realize they are playing in empty buildings and there is less money to go around.

da world is going crazy. It'd be nice if we could have da NHL back as an enjoyable distraction.

-signed; da SmoggyTwinkles

Reactions: axlrose87

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

interesting

Both the NHL and NHLPA could argue that the language in the CBA favours its side.

Article 5 of the CBA says the league is within its rights, “to determine when, where, how and under what circumstances it wishes to operate, suspend. ...” a season.

Article 7, however, says the NHL cannot lock out players.

so it would be a suspended season.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It would be nice to see everyone involved come together and realize that perhaps the health of the league itself is more important than who's getting how much money, because the health of the league dictates how much money everyone gets.

But I don't personally care what they do. I'll watch when it comes back, or I won't.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
He's been asked to change a 100 times and won't, I guess he thinks it must be a cool shtick, even though it comes across as though he's still learning english.
Hahahahaha it’s all good. I like his posts when I can get through them... but it’s hard.
You’re right about the language in the cba.... this is setting up to be a very ugly fight.
I guess that will be our winter entertainment; watching all these jerks fight over money instead of playing hockey and making money.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Sometimes billionaires just like to flex.
They will all still be billionaires if the seasons is successfully cancelled.... and if the NHL never returns.

They're probably working out if it's financially better to NOT play vs play. If even the rich owners see themselves losing money by actually playing, they might be inclined to collectively call it off.

Lack of gate revenue, and all the money made from concessions, actually playing could be too much for some teams, and maybe just not palatable for even the richest teams.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not a great look for owners considering they agreed to the cba. Looks like they're just trying to get extra leverage

At this point the safer bet is there will still be a season, there's too much incentive not to. And apparently (though I'm the last thing from a labour law expert) ownership could find itself facing legal challenges because of the existing agreement if they try to reneg on the already signed deal.

There will probably end up with some sort of compromise that tweets the existing deal to a satisfactory manner

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They're probably working out if it's financially better to NOT play vs play. If even the rich owners see themselves losing money by actually playing, they might be inclined to collectively call it off.

Lack of gate revenue, and all the money made from concessions, actually playing could be too much for some teams, and maybe just not palatable for even the richest teams.

Though not as if this is any different from the situation they faced when they signed the existing cba.

And its not as if business loans are difficult to come by in the current environment. Other North American sports teams have turned to them as a way of offsetting things

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad