Is Patrick Marleau a Hall of Famer?

Is Patrick Marleau a Hall of Famer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
This doesn’t make any sense. It’s either a game winner or it’s not.

Makes sense to me.

If you score your teams 3rd goal of the game, and your team goes on to win 5-2 is it really a game winner?

Or, even more drastic, the first goal in a 7-0 blowout - is that a game winner?

If you score a goal in overtime, it's obviously a different situation.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Do realize that Marleau entered the league during the dead puck era?

Here's a list of 100+ point players since Marleau entered the league:

Here's a list of 50+ goal scorers since Marleau entered the league:
Alexander Ovechkin
Corey Perry
Dany Heatley
Evgeni Malkin
Ilya Kovalchuk
Jarome Iginla
Jaromir Jagr
Joe Sakic
John LeClair
Jonathan Cheechoo
Milan Hejduk
Pavel Bure
Peter Bondra
Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Teemu Selanne
Vincent Lecavalier
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Some of these names are first ballot HoFers, but some of them won't make it. There's no excuse for Marleau to not be on either of these lists. He simply didn't peak as high as these guys did, and that hurts his HoF chances. Marleau was a compiler in a low scoring era, and whether it's fair or not... it makes his chances of getting in to the hall worse, than a compiler in a higher scoring era.

He was a good player that was never great. Combine that with no trophies, no high peak, and a low scoring era... and I personally don't see him getting in without hitting a big milestone (like all time leader in games played for example).

I've stated why I'd be surprised to see him get in. If you disagree that's fine but I don't see the point in arguing it anymore. I've made my point pretty clear.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It's not really fooling yourself when there's enough evidence to justify his induction given the course of events that have played out. People here simply think way too much that there's this ridiculously high bar for induction.
And what evidence is that? Because it's going to be a very short and very weak list of reasons. 500 goals and 1000 points with no real significant impact isn't enough.

The bar is lowered already....as proven by recent inductees. You do realize the bar would be further lowered if Marleau gets inducted?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Recchi entered the league in 1990. You know, when players were still putting up 100+ regularly.

Marleau has 516 goals to Recchi's 577 despite 150 lesser games and debuting during the dead puck era.

What is it with people comparing goals lately and leaving out assists? Recchi was a much better playmaker than Marleau, actually leading the league in assists once and finishing top 10 three other times. He also has 4 seasons in the top 10 in points to Marleau's none.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If he had been playing in a Canadian market, he would have had individual awards at his peak because he would have won a Selke in one or two of his peak seasons. He's also playing mostly in an era where 50 goal and 100 point seasons are significantly rarer than when Recchi racked up most of his or Andreychuk racked up most of his. When you adjust for eras, Marleau is 31st all-time ahead of numerous hall-of-famers. The only person ahead of him on that list that isn't a Hall of Famer is Daniel Alfredsson and Pierre Turgeon who will both get in eventually as well. Considering how many GWG's Marleau has during the regular season and the playoffs as well as the real chance that he breaks the all-time games played record, he's going to get in eventually and if he did all that in a Canadian market, he'd be a lock.

Market bias is the most overplayed excuse on here. It didn't stop Thornton from winning a Hart or Burns from winning the Norris, but somehow a guy who peaked at 8th and 9th in Selke voting would have gained enough support in another market to win the Selke?

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Once again, your comparing him to a player who not only is widely considered a weak HOF induction, but still had to wait over 10 years, and with significantly "better" reasons why he was inducted.

Are those really the standards you want to hold Marleau to as well?

-640 goals(14th)
-274 PP goals(1st)
-50 goal scorer(2x)
-4th in points among LW
-3rd in goals among LW
-3rd in assists among LW
-stanley cup

Now, these aren't the strongest points, but overall, these are the reasons why Andreychuk was inducted 11 years after retiring. Weak, right? Well Marleaus would be much weaker with much less to go off of.

Marleau has a few years left to achieve and be considered against his contemporaries. What I don't want to see is all of the stars since 1996 get penalized because offense has been in the toilet for 20+ years, everybody traps after getting a lead and goalies are 6'4 wearing sumo suits. Meanwhile, the committee keeps going back to the 1980's... next up Steve Larmer, Tonelli, Petr Klima, etc. They need to be realistic. Because worse than using Andreychuk as a benchmark for current players is continuing to dig into an 80's well that is effectively dry.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Makes sense to me.

If you score your teams 3rd goal of the game, and your team goes on to win 5-2 is it really a game winner?

Yes.

Or, even more drastic, the first goal in a 7-0 blowout - is that a game winner?

Still yes. What’s the alternative? Some games you win without anybody scoring a game winner?

If you score a goal in overtime, it's obviously a different situation.

The stakes are different. The definition never changes.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Marleau has a few years left to achieve and be considered against his contemporaries. What I don't want to see is all of the stars since 1996 get penalized because offense has been in the toilet for 20+ years, everybody traps after getting a lead and goalies are 6'4 wearing sumo suits. Meanwhile, the committee keeps going back to the 1980's... next up Steve Larmer, Tonelli, Petr Klima, etc. They need to be realistic. Because worse than using Andreychuk as a benchmark for current players is continuing to dig into an 80's well that is effectively dry.
Marleau wasn't a very offensive player to begin with....blaming his time frame he came into the league and an 80s scoring frame of mind from the voters doesn't change that.

Being moved to Thorntons line made him offensive player he is today, from '98-'04 he had 153 goals and 327 points in 558 games. From '06-'14, he had 284 goals and 604 points in 689 games. A majority of that is due to the game opening up for speedy guys like him, as well as Thornton coming to SJ.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And what evidence is that? Because it's going to be a very short and very weak list of reasons. 500 goals and 1000 points with no real significant impact isn't enough.

The bar is lowered already....as proven by recent inductees. You do realize the bar would be further lowered if Marleau gets inducted?

It actually wouldn't when guys like Recchi, Andreychuk, Housley and the like are in. Chances are someone like Alfredsson and Hossa and Roenick are all going to get in. None of those three are better players than Marleau just like none of the three that are in are better than Marleau. The point really is that people on here really don't understand that the view of the bar being lowered is something that they're projecting onto it. The bar was never that high to begin with and Marleau is going to make it down the line. Pointing to Recchi's three Cup wins when he wasn't even remotely close to the best player on any of those teams. Recchi made it because he parlayed an early start in an offensive era with a lengthy career. 500 goals and 1000 points from players in and around 1997 and on is a lot more of an accomplishment than it was in previous decades. There are only 45 players ever with 500 goals and 86 players with 1000 points. There's only about eight or nine players from that generation of players that have reached 1,000 points. There's only maybe a handful of them with 500 goals. He's tied for 6th all-time in game winning goals during the regular season and tied for 8th in playoff game winners. No matter how you want to discredit the stat, it means something to be that high up there all-time in both. And if he ends up breaking the all-time games played record, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
It actually wouldn't when guys like Recchi, Andreychuk, Housley and the like are in. Chances are someone like Alfredsson and Hossa and Roenick are all going to get in. None of those three are better players than Marleau just like none of the three that are in are better than Marleau. The point really is that people on here really don't understand that the view of the bar being lowered is something that they're projecting onto it. The bar was never that high to begin with and Marleau is going to make it down the line. Pointing to Recchi's three Cup wins when he wasn't even remotely close to the best player on any of those teams. Recchi made it because he parlayed an early start in an offensive era with a lengthy career. 500 goals and 1000 points from players in and around 1997 and on is a lot more of an accomplishment than it was in previous decades. There are only 45 players ever with 500 goals and 86 players with 1000 points. There's only about eight or nine players from that generation of players that have reached 1,000 points. There's only maybe a handful of them with 500 goals. He's tied for 6th all-time in game winning goals during the regular season and tied for 8th in playoff game winners. No matter how you want to discredit the stat, it means something to be that high up there all-time in both. And if he ends up breaking the all-time games played record, he's a lock for the Hall of Fame.
Housley, Recchi, and Andreychuk have more to build off of than Marleau ever would in terms of why they are in the Hall....that's what your not understanding.

Roenick, Alfredsson, and Hossa also have more of a case.

Recchi also had better top 10 finishes than Marleau so he wasn't some compiler, along with 3 stanley cups and a 2nd team AS honor. His peak is clearly better, but he was just as productive as anyone. In the DPE(97-04) he sits 8th in points, 7th in assists, while being 4th in points, and 2nd in assists among Right wingers during that same span. His production didn't drop off significantly until the last few years he was in the league.

Marleau has been consistent, and that's really all it is. Yes 500 goals is impressive, but I mean he has 2 top 10 goal finishes....2. He has a ton of seasons scoring less than 30 goals. How much are you willing to stretch to make his goal scoring totals appear more significant than they actually are?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Housley, Recchi, and Andreychuk have more to build off of than Marleau ever would in terms of why they are in the Hall....that's what your not understanding.

Roenick, Alfredsson, and Hossa also have more of a case.

Recchi also had better top 10 finishes than Marleau so he wasn't some compiler, along with 3 stanley cups and a 2nd team AS honor. His peak is clearly better, but he was just as productive as anyone. In the DPE(97-04) he sits 8th in points, 7th in assists, while being 4th in points, and 2nd in assists among Right wingers during that same span. His production didn't drop off significantly until the last few years he was in the league.

Marleau has been consistent, and that's really all it is. Yes 500 goals is impressive, but I mean he has 2 top 10 goal finishes....2. He has a ton of seasons scoring less than 30 goals. How much are you willing to stretch to make his goal scoring totals appear more significant than they actually are?

No, they really don't have more of a case actually. If we're going to use that kind of a thing why are we going to ignore that Marleau is 5th in goals for the ten season period after the lockout in 2005 or that he's top five in points in combined seasons for the past 20 seasons? What you're not understanding is that there is a vast difference in eras for the people like Recchi, Andreychuk, Housley, and Roenick that play into why their numbers look as good as they do. When era is accounted for, Marleau has outproduced all but Recchi and Recchi had the fortunate ability to play along side generational players the times that he was really productive. The three Stanley Cups argument doesn't mean anything when he's not the reason why those teams won any of those Cups. Recchi's highest placement in the Hart Trophy voting was 6th compared to Marleau's 9th. Recchi has more seasons scoring less than 30 goals as Marleau as of right now with more help from higher scoring eras than Marleau.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I think he's borderline.

Pros:

- Durability over 20 seasons is remarkable

- Consistency over that same span of being good to very good

- Has complied a couple of noteworthy stat accomplishments with + 500 goals / + 1000 points

Cons:

- No hardware. He finished top 10 in the Lady Bying and Selke a couple of times, but no finishes

- No Stanley Cup. While this is no direct fault at him, it does look good on a HOF resume. While not a requirement, for a guy trying to get in without any hardware wins or as an iconic player of his generation, this will hurt him IMO.

Marleau's best bet is if he can Recchi out 4 or 5 more seasons, stay durable and put up decent point/goal totals, which could put him over 600 goals and 1200 points. Those would be harder numbers to ignore and add to the pro of him being a durable and consistent hockey player.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Recchi was a much better scorer than Marleau.

Marleau peaked at 14th in scoring (2010).

Recchi had seven seasons as good as that or better - 3rd (2000), 4th (1991), 5th (1994), 10th (1993), 12th (1992), 12th (2004) and 14th (1998).

Recchi has (inexplicably) gotten the reputation as a secondary player. In those seven seasons, he led his team in scoring six times (the only exception was 1992, when he traded mid-year). In fact he led his team in scoring by 10+ points in all six of those years (with a 15+ point margin in four of those years).

Reactions: Voight

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
No, they really don't have more of a case actually. If we're going to use that kind of a thing why are we going to ignore that Marleau is 5th in goals for the ten season period after the lockout in 2005 or that he's top five in points in combined seasons for the past 20 seasons? What you're not understanding is that there is a vast difference in eras for the people like Recchi, Andreychuk, Housley, and Roenick that play into why their numbers look as good as they do. When era is accounted for, Marleau has outproduced all but Recchi and Recchi had the fortunate ability to play along side generational players the times that he was really productive. The three Stanley Cups argument doesn't mean anything when he's not the reason why those teams won any of those Cups. Recchi's highest placement in the Hart Trophy voting was 6th compared to Marleau's 9th. Recchi has more seasons scoring less than 30 goals as Marleau as of right now with more help from higher scoring eras than Marleau.
I clearly just showed you how they have more of a case...yet you refuse to understand?

You can't base Marleaus HOF case on adjusted stats, especially career wise. Marleau played with Joe Thornton, which is what made his numbers climb and his goal scoring rise....if Marleau ever did get into the Hall, it's because he played on Thorntons wing a majority of his prime. You can't hold that against Recchi, all while ignoring that Marleau played with one of the best playmakers of all time.

You can't blame Marleau for not having better stats because he played in a lower scoring era....Marleau was always good offensively, but he never had that scoring touch or ability to actually carry a line. He never had the offensive talent that guys like Andreychuk, Housley, and Recchi had....and no, it's not because of who he played with, he simply fit better as a two way Winger more than a center. Besides, like I showed you, Recchi was very productive during the DPE, even leading the league in assists one year.

The cups argument obviously does mean something because it was Recchis ticket to the Hall. You seem to be under the impression that I agree with it, I don't...but that still doesn't mean that the committee doesn't value those things.

Your right in everything your saying and I agree with you, but what you don't understand is it's already been done. You can say how unfair or how ridiculous it is that they got in the Hall based on those reasons, but in the end they are still HOFers....my point was, even if the reasons are bogus, they still have more reasons to be in there than Marleau.
3 x All Star, 2 time gold medal winner, 508 career goals in over 1,000 games. He's been very consistent; not hof material in my book. Being stripped off the C ( and A) on multiple occasions can't be a good mark on his resume.
Well first off, Marleau wasn't a 3x AS, he was a 3x All star GAME participant(not the same.)

Cool, he has 2 gold medals playing on team Canada......and?

Yes, he has been consistent, but not at a high level with very little elite seasons. I mean Bondra has better seasons than Marleau...

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I clearly just showed you how they have more of a case...yet you refuse to understand?

You can't base Marleaus HOF case on adjusted stats, especially career wise. Marleau played with Joe Thornton, which is what made his numbers climb and his goal scoring rise....if Marleau ever did get into the Hall, it's because he played on Thorntons wing a majority of his prime. You can't hold that against Recchi, all while ignoring that Marleau played with one of the best playmakers of all time.

You can't blame Marleau for not having better stats because he played in a lower scoring era....Marleau was always good offensively, but he never had that scoring touch or ability to actually carry a line. He never had the offensive talent that guys like Andreychuk, Housley, and Recchi had....and no, it's not because of who he played with, he simply fit better as a two way Winger more than a center.

The cups argument obviously does mean something because it was Recchis ticket to the Hall. You seem to be under the impression that I agree with it, I don't...but that still doesn't mean that the committee doesn't value those things.

Your right in everything your saying and I agree with you, but what you don't understand is it's already been done. You can say how unfair or how ridiculous it is that they got in the Hall based on those reasons, but in the end they are still HOFers....my point was, even if the reasons are bogus, they still have more reasons to be in there than Marleau.

Well first off, Marleau wasn't a 3x AS, he was a 3x All star GAME participant(not the same.)

Cool, he has 2 gold medals playing on team Canada......and?

Yes, he has been consistent, but not at a high level with very little elite seasons. I mean Bondra has better seasons than Marleau...

I said above he wasn't a hofer..

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

You can't blame Marleau for not having better stats because he played in a lower scoring era....Marleau was always good offensively, but he never had that scoring touch or ability to actually carry a line. He never had the offensive talent that guys like Andreychuk, Housley, and Recchi had....and no, it's not because of who he played with, he simply fit better as a two way Winger more than a center. Besides, like I showed you, Recchi was very productive during the DPE, even leading the league in assists one year.

You can't make a case because Marleau played with Thornton but you're going to ignore that someone like Recchi played with the likes of Lemieux and Lindros during his most productive seasons? And no, Marleau did not play on Thornton's wing during the majority of his prime. Your era arguments against don't actually present any actual argument against what that addresses. It's a complete non-sequitur. Your Recchi DPE points don't mean a lot when he wasn't a top ten point producer in the league during that time except that one season he led in assists and only reached top twenty two other times when Marleau reached top twenty four times in the ten seasons post-2005 lockout.

Recchi's argument for the Hall of Fame had little to do with his Cups and pretty much entirely to do with having a crap ton of points mostly gotten during a high scoring era and having a lengthy career. The Cups thing is merely a nice thing to say to add to it because if it were truly about having multiple Cups, there are a few guys with more Cups than that who aren't knocking on the door of the Hall of Fame. The Cups argument only mean something if they're the leader(s) of the team of which Recchi never was.

But the biggest problem in this discussion is your complete dismissal of the eras involved and how real that actually is in this context. You can't simply dismiss the fact that the early 90's was a highly offensive era that other than maybe 2005-06 the league hasn't replicated since and that matters when it comes to how gaudy the stats end up being. The reality is that if Recchi started his career when Marleau did and without any true superstars at his hip until he was 26, he's almost definitely not having the same amount of points that he amassed and he likely doesn't have as much as Marleau did because Recchi wasn't as good of a player and he got to benefit from playing from much better talent during his prime years.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You can't make a case because Marleau played with Thornton but you're going to ignore that someone like Recchi played with the likes of Lemieux and Lindros during his most productive seasons? And no, Marleau did not play on Thornton's wing during the majority of his prime. Your era arguments against don't actually present any actual argument against what that addresses. It's a complete non-sequitur. Your Recchi DPE points don't mean a lot when he wasn't a top ten point producer in the league during that time except that one season he led in assists and only reached top twenty two other times when Marleau reached top twenty four times in the ten seasons post-2005 lockout.

Recchi's argument for the Hall of Fame had little to do with his Cups and pretty much entirely to do with having a crap ton of points mostly gotten during a high scoring era and having a lengthy career. The Cups thing is merely a nice thing to say to add to it because if it were truly about having multiple Cups, there are a few guys with more Cups than that who aren't knocking on the door of the Hall of Fame. The Cups argument only mean something if they're the leader(s) of the team of which Recchi never was.

But the biggest problem in this discussion is your complete dismissal of the eras involved and how real that actually is in this context. You can't simply dismiss the fact that the early 90's was a highly offensive era that other than maybe 2005-06 the league hasn't replicated since and that matters when it comes to how gaudy the stats end up being. The reality is that if Recchi started his career when Marleau did and without any true superstars at his hip until he was 26, he's almost definitely not having the same amount of points that he amassed and he likely doesn't have as much as Marleau did because Recchi wasn't as good of a player and he got to benefit from playing from much better talent during his prime years.
I didn't ignore anything.....you made that point and I simply pointed out how silly it was considering Marleau has played with Thornton. It's a point you used against Recchi while trying to make a case for Marleau....which is silly.

Marleau didn't? Have you watched the Sharks? Most(if not all) of Marleaus best seasons were while he played on Thorntons line and while on the PP with Thornton. I suggest you actually do research before saying anything.

Your basing your entire argument on stats that not only don't exist but are flawed in itself. The fact that you have to "adjust" his stats to make him look superior doesn't help your case.

What? He sits 8th in points during that time span...last time I checked, that's within the top 10. He also finished within the top 10 in assists twice, and once within the top 10 in points....your the one who has constantly stated how he played in a higher scoring era, which is unfair for Marleau...I provided DPE stats.

What is this top 20 nonsense?
Recchi: Top 10
Assists: 4x(Best: 1st)
Goals: 1x
Marleau: Top 10
Assists: 0
Goals: 3x(Best: 4th)

Why are you deliberately moving the goal posts when the stats are right in front of you? Not just that, but you do realize Recchi was 37 in 2006, right? Marleau was 26....

I understand, but Recchi wasn't some compiler....he hit 100 points 3x and a PPG 6x. He sits 6th among players in points, and 7th in assists in a decade span among the 1990s. He sits 3rd ALL TIME in points, 3rd in asssits, and 9th in goals among Right Wingers...while sitting 20th in goals, 15th in assists, and 12th in points all time. He was a great hockey player. Not just that, but his best seasons('91: 113 points) in Pitt, Lemieux only played 23 games and Recchi led the club in points, assists, and tied for goals. He did the same thing in Philly in '93. Recchi wasn't Andreychuk, he was an elite Winger who was consistently at the top in his position.

You may not agree with it, hell...you might not even like it, but his cups had A LOT to do with his induction. Your fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Era doesn't make up for their huge gaps offensively. Recchi spent a MAJORITY of his years playing in Lower scoring eras. From 89-96, he has 635 points in 546 games. From 97-11, he has 898 points in 1106 games...within that time frame, he sits 6th in points and 5th in assists. Do you know where Marleau sits from 98-04? 80th.....Recchi sits 9th in that same time frame. The whole different eras argument your attempting to make doesn't work, Recchi played in the same era and did just fine...all while marleau was barely a blimp on the radar.

You want to talk about adjusting eras and different time frames? Marleaus production took off after the lockout when the game opened up and became more speedy, at the same time, Joe Thornton came to town and they were put on the PP together. Soon after, Marleau was put on his wing. If your going to nit pick Recchi, at least do the same for Marleau who benefited greatly from a faster game and from a generational playmaker.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yes.

Still yes. What’s the alternative? Some games you win without anybody scoring a game winner?

The stakes are different. The definition never changes.

That's what I meant. Some GWGs are almost worthless. If your team is up 3-0 and you scored the 4th goal and the final score is 6-3. You got the game winning goal but in reality, it's no more important than the other goals

It's not a stats you can use to justify HOF

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
That's what I meant. Some GWGs are almost worthless. If your team is up 3-0 and you scored the 4th goal and the final score is 6-3. You got the game winning goal but in reality, it's no more important than the other goals

It's not a stats you can use to justify HOF

I just can’t get past “some GWGs are almost worthless.” I think you’re confusing drama with worth. The 2-1 (2OT) goal is just as much a game winner as the 4-3 goal. That 4th goal IS more important than any hypothetical 5th+ goals that come after it.

I think the real counter argument is if there’s any such thing as “clutch,” but the Hall of Fame is for greatness just as much as it’s for talent, and I think that distinction gets missed. Scoring 500+ goals and 100+ game winners is truly great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad