Is Patrick Marleau a Hall of Famer?

Is Patrick Marleau a Hall of Famer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PucksOnNet

Nov 12, 2017
Yes, he's amassed a boatload of points and his longevity is extremely impressive.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I voted yes. Doubt he is a first ballot of course but he has passed 500 goals and will most likely be in the 20's all time for goal scoring once his career is over. He is also over 1000 points. His story is pretty decent as well for the NHL. Played his whole career for one team and that team was a western expansion one at that.

The reality is I can see reasons for him not to make it too and it wouldn't surprise me either way.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I voted yes. Doubt he is a first ballot of course but he has passed 500 goals and will most likely be in the 20's all time for goal scoring once his career is over. He is also over 1000 points. His story is pretty decent as well for the NHL. Played his whole career for one team and that team was a western expansion one at that.

The reality is I can see reasons for him not to make it too and it wouldn't surprise me either way.
Well, except for the part that he didn't play his whole career for one team.

He's in the hall of very good.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Well, except for the part that he didn't play his whole career for one team.

He's in the hall of very good.

Ha ha true. My point was he was pretty important to one of the NHL's Western expansion success stories.

Again. It wouldn't really surprise me either way.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd actually think him vs Perry is an interesting discussion when it comes to the Hall. I would vote Perry over Marleau. In my opinion, to be in the Hall for modern players you should have at least one first-team all-star appearance. I value peak over longevity, but its obviously a combo of both. I just don't really like having the Hall of Fame filled with guys who were never really iconic for an entire season. Marleau was great for the Sharks, and I love having him as a Maple Leaf, but I see him more as this generations Gartner, who I feel got in for longevity over ever being a truly dominate player over a couple seasons. Maybe I'm just being hard on Marleau and soft on Perry. Although, to be fair to both, I don't think either guy ever passed the most basic test of who should be a hall of famer, which is, if you are splitting seasons tickets and are doing a draft, how many people said I really hope to get a high pick so I can draft to see Corey Perry or Marleau? I don't think either really pass that test.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
He's at that level where's he's definitely Hall of Very Good, but it'd be a clear no from me. From the committee, it's hard to say. They've been inducting guys like Housley and Andreychuk recently who have huge career totals, but both of them are 80's enhanced, so Marleau's don't quite stand out the same in an All Time sense due to the era. I could imagine them thinking that someone like Andreychuk, who's 1st All Time in PP goals and 14th in total goals should be in the Hall, when he was never really an elite player at any time. If they take into account era when considering Marleau's totals, he might get in for similar reasons, as 500 goals today is at least as impressive as 600 in Andreychuk's career. If they don't, I see him on the outs, as I don't think he has the reputation within the game to make it on anything but career totals.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Good player but never been great. Is HOF for "good "players now?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I think his GWGs will tip the scale in his favour. He has a higher % of game winners than any other 500g scorer in NHL history at like 20%, which is pretty damn impressive really. I’m not sure if GWGs are a repeatable stat but it is the “Hall of Fame” and not the “Hall of Ability.”

Reactions: Juxtaposer

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think his GWGs will tip the scale in his favour. He has a higher % of game winners than any other 500g scorer in NHL history at like 20%, which is pretty damn impressive really. I’m not sure if GWGs are a repeatable stat but it is the “Hall of Fame” and not the “Hall of Ability.”

Many GWGs are not truly GWGs

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I believe he will probably get in to the Hall of Fame eventually.

I don't think he should get into the hall of fame, however. I think accumulators like him and Andreychuk, do not belong in the HOF. His peak was not good enough, if I were voting, he would not get in.

This is coming from a Leaf fan btw. I was shaking my head when the announcers at the Hall of Fame game kept saying he is a sure fire Hall of Famer.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I am thinking he is, I never paid any attention to him until this year, I'm impressed from what I see.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Has more points and goals than Kariya, he is in the hall. Of course Kariya is a full point per game player over his 989 games, but Patty still has more overall points.

In my opinion the hall of fame is really watered down these days, I believe we are letting in players who are very good, but not the elite of the elite.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Patrick Marleau is not a HOFer.

Sure Andreychuk wasn't a strong case at all, but he sits 14th in goals, 29th in points, with a cup. He compiled, but he compiled enough to be significant and put up big enough numbers season by season to be a big enough name.

Housley? Once again, one of the best offensive defenseman to ever play. 4th in points, 5th in assists, and 4th in goals among D-men all time. Obviously it doesn't matter how bad defensively he was.

These aren't the strongest arguments, but they are stronger than Marleau, who...although was a great and consistent goal scorer for a good period of time, solid defensively, and longevity...had a very weak peak, weak finishes, and no hardware.

Andreychuk had to wait 11 years to be inducted, Housley had to wait 12. If Marleau ever did reach the Hall, it wouldn't be for many many years, and it has to be a significantly weak year.

Marleau isn't even a HOF talent so to speak. Although a great player in his own right, he very much took full advantage of player along side Thornton.

We need to stop looking for reasons why a player should be inducted, that's where we are going wrong. It should be the other way around. Marleau simply doesn't have enough to be in there. 500 goals and 1000 points are amazing achievements, but is that really the line we are drawing with NO context what so ever?

Marleau is a 2nd tier, or "hall of very good" and there is nothing wrong with leaving it at that.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Dave Andreychuk just got in. I think Marleau's the exact same type of player -- longevity and production, but never really one of the elite guys in any given season.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Dave Andreychuk just got in. I think Marleau's the exact same type of player -- longevity and production, but never really one of the elite guys in any given season.
We shouldn't simply continue the trend of "well so and so is in, so it make sense that such and such should be in as well." It's repeating this god awful cycle of bad induction that a majority here seem to hate, yet want to continue.

Andreychuk has a cup and better all time point finishes than Marleau, as well as a better peak. It doesn't seem like much, but all that...along with weak induction years, it was enough for Andreychuk....but Marleau lacks all of that.

Reactions: SupremeNachos

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Never top five in points and was never considered a top five player in the game. Was stripped of the " C" multiple times in SJ. No.

Are you saying he was given the C, stripped of the C, given it back, and stripped of it again? :laugh:

Marleau was top-5 in goals in 2010, played in two gold medal-winning Olympic Team Canadas, and has a boatload of game-winning goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad