Is Nikita Zaitsev one of the top free agent signings of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't care if this is true just please don't say it. Appropriate early season reaction: The Leafs have a great offence. This is appropriate because there offense was great last year, got better on paper in the offseason, and now has started quite hot. Inappropriate early season reaction: whatever the **** this is.

Zaistev is pretty good, but I'm not going to call him anything more than a top 4 dman for a long time.(and since I don't expect him to keep up this pace...probably never)

He did get 36 points in his rookie season last year and handled some of the toughest minutes in the NHl. Doing the same this year. He is a 40+ point D-Man that can play in any situation.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I can comfortably say he is our best d-man. He has surpassed Gardiner and Rielly imo. The level he's at right now I have never witnessed from Gardiner or Rielly.

Reactions: therealkoho

member 290103

I can comfortably say he is our best d-man. He has surpassed Gardiner and Rielly imo. The level he's at right now I have never witnessed from Gardiner or Rielly.

For sure, and that's really saying something. Gardiner and Rielly are top 2 dmen on any other team in the NHL. That the Leafs have been able to get this player for free is a godsend. GM's go to all ends of the earth to get Norris calibre d-men and the Leafs just picked one up for free. Incredible.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
He did get 36 points in his rookie season last year and handled some of the toughest minutes in the NHl. Doing the same this year. He is a 40+ point D-Man that can play in any situation.

He's really good and I'm really happy to have him. I just don't want to entertain this "he's played like a top 5 defencman for five games" for half a second even with the qualifier.

Edit: also i thought the first Norris caliber comment was a joke...I am beginning to fear I was mistaken, so throw out my mention of including a qualifier to make this marginally rational.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
For sure, and that's really saying something. Gardiner and Rielly are top 2 dmen on any other team in the NHL. That the Leafs have been able to get this player for free is a godsend. GM's go to all ends of the earth to get Norris calibre d-men and the Leafs just picked one up for free. Incredible.
Oh my god Leaf fans overate their players so much. I will create a schtick online to pose as one and be funny!

I look at their record. I look at predictions for the Leafs from non Leafs fans. This makes me believe Leaf fan sdo not overrate anyone. Tell you what, go back to telling me how great Buffalo and Winnipeg will be.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He's really good and I'm really happy to have him. I just don't want to entertain this "he's played like a top 5 defencman for five games" for half a second even with the qualifier.
I really don't care where he ranks as long as he's playing well.

member 290103

Oh my god Leaf fans overate their players so much. I will create a schtick online to pose as one and be funny!

I look at their record. I look at predictions for the Leafs from non Leafs fans. This makes me believe Leaf fan sdo not overrate anyone.

All fans overrate their own teams players.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All fans overrate their own teams players.

Yeah but your bit is very original and is working. Keep doing it.

gettyimages-181018646.jpg

Reactions: Raymoondo

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Rielly/Gardiner/Zaitsev are a really good top 3 to have. Very underrated. I have learned though on the poll created due to this thread Adam Larsson is far better than all 3. Who knew?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Sensing some jealousy in this thread. Zaitsev is easily one of the best FA signings in years, his poise is remarkable and his contract is a huge bargain for a top D man signed for the next seven years.

The only thing im sensing some insecurity since there always has to be a thread about leafs player on the front page. Cant wait to see Rosen and Borgman get their own respective threads in about a week, probably asking if theyre the best 3rd pairing in the league or something similar :laugh:

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Twice as many points and almost 2 min more TOI, than Larsson in his rookie season, and this season it's even stupid to compare them so far. Of course, the season has just started, but still...

Larsson was also 18 compared to Zaitsev who was 24 his rookie year...

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The only thing im sensing some insecurity since there always has to be a thread about leafs player on the front page. Cant wait to see Rosen and Borgman get their own respective threads in about a week, probably asking if theyre the best 3rd pairing in the league or something similar :laugh:
you participate in discussion about the Leafs way too much to call anyone insecure over wanting to discuss the Leafs

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
You know, just watching Zaitsev carry the puck out of the zone he reminds me of another Maple Leafs free agent signing of note, none other than The Collingwood Milkman, Claire Alexander. The resemblance is rather striking actually, and that is a very good thing.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
you participate in discussion about the Leafs way too much to call anyone insecure over wanting to discuss the Leafs

Considering there was a shot at Edmonton within like the first 5 posts its pretty evident there are a few Leaf fans basically fishing for compliments about their players in order to feel giddy inside. If you're confident Zaitsev is one of the best euro FA signings then you shouldnt have to ask but here we are. Cant wait to see a thread asking if Toronto has the best 3rd pairing in Borgman and Rosen since we both know it will probably be a thread on the mainboard at some point this season.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I can see some similarity between Tyler Bozak and Walt McKechnie as well. You got a Walt McKechnie as your third line center, you're doing pretty well. Things are definitely on the upswing in Toronto these days. No doubt about it.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
His contract is a steal. He's a legit #2 guy and has looked nothing less than stellar this season.

He does everything well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad