Is Nikita Zaitsev one of the top free agent signings of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So then he is not terrible perhaps?
I don't think many posters think Zaitsev is terrible and honestly right now he looks like the GOAT but he's not as bad as he's being made to look lately in this thread. His contract also isn't all that bad unless he plays like this forever, which I doubt.

The problem comes when Zaitsev has a good game and non-Leaf fans have to wade through the inevitable 25 threads that will proclaim him a Norris-finalist (I mean look at any thread involving Dermott or Liljegren, they hype is unbelievable). Just calm down, try to be one of the more rational Leaf posters, and just enjoy that the Leafs made the POs and are a young team on the upswing. Don't get too caught up in the opinions of any posters, Leafs or non-Leafs fans. No matter what anyone else thinks you'll feel better for it.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Right god forbid anyone speaks positively about the Leafs on the main boards. Nevermind the fact that there is a history of YEARS of Leaf bashing threads and were just as many bashing this year as there were pump up threads.
This is objectively false.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't think many posters think Zaitsev is terrible and honestly right now he looks like the GOAT but he's not as bad as he's being made to look lately in this thread. His contract also isn't all that bad unless he plays like this forever, which I doubt.

The problem comes when Zaitsev has a good game and non-Leaf fans have to wade through the inevitable 25 threads that will proclaim him a Norris-finalist (I mean look at any thread involving Dermott or Liljegren, they hype is unbelievable). Just calm down, try to be one of the more rational Leaf posters, and just enjoy that the Leafs made the POs and are a young team on the upswing. Don't get too caught up in the opinions of any posters, Leafs or non-Leafs fans. No matter what anyone else thinks you'll feel better for it.
I'm getting tired of this same type of hyperbole resonse with made-up stats and quotes. No Leaf fan has ever called him that. And Leaf fans have given statistical evidence as to why Dermott is worthy of the hype and non Leaf fans ignore it.
Can we put an end to the ridiculous claim Leaf fans say every DMnan they have should win a Norris?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Best this best that. Best coach,best signing, deepest pockets, best contract, best Matthews, Andersen Vezina, reilly better than Keith at the same age. Hockey mecca, Canadas team.
And now let's go with what Non-Leaf fans think: Worst everything!
And BTW, Rielly is better than Keith at the same age.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Oh come on. Ritchie' scareer high is less than half of what Nylander has gotten in his first 2 years. Let's not go down that path. Ritchie is not in the same universe. His acreer high is 14 goals/28 points vs a guy who's had 60 each of his first 2 years
And in the POs Ritchie has 4pts (all goals) in 17 Career Games, Nylander has 4pts (only 1 goal) in 8 Career Games. The Leafs have plenty of guys who can score, maybe, just maybe, exchanging one for a guy who can force some physicality on the Bs could be useful. I mean Mike Milbury suggested putting in Matt Martin, you don't think Ritchie could help the Leafs, I certainly do. Kevan F'ing Miller looks like prime Chris Pronger or Scott Stevens against these Leafs, it's an area the Leafs could use some improvement in.

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
So now you love Don Cherry? You are in the minority. He is treated as a joke on here.

So? This website is a joke. The vast majority of you posters have only touched ice when your mom put some ice cubes in your Kool-Aid.

Tell me something, of all the "celebs" that went to visit the survivors in Humboldt, which one do you think the actual players wanted to see the most? So why should Cherry, or any other hockey person, care what some nerds think, when actual hockey people admire the man?

It's really hard to take your ilk seriously when you call Nashville's 4th D a Norris winner, and use fake stats created on a spread sheet to prove to the world you don't get this game

Oh, and speaking of....

BTW, Cherry used +/- to prove Zaitsev is terrible. If you want to go with an outdated 80's stat, so be it.

How is it outdated? I mean seriously. You guys like to parrot these views, but not a single one of you can articulate why this is. Like any stat, +/- needs to be viewed in context. If one player has a +/- that is out of whack with others on his team, then it should be viewed upon because unlike corsy, +/- is based on actual goals scored. You know, those pesky things needed to win games? You know, winning games is what the sport is about?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
So? This website is a joke. The vast majority of you posters have only touched ice when your mom put some ice cubes in your Kool-Aid.

Tell me something, of all the "celebs" that went to visit the survivors in Humboldt, which one do you think the actual players wanted to see the most? So why should Cherry, or any other hockey person, care what some nerds think, when actual hockey people admire the man?

It's really hard to take your ilk seriously when you call Nashville's 4th D a Norris winner, and use fake stats created on a spread sheet to prove to the world you don't get this game

Oh, and speaking of....

How is it outdated? I mean seriously. You guys like to parrot these views, but not a single one of you can articulate why this is. Like any stat, +/- needs to be viewed in context. If one player has a +/- that is out of whack with others on his team, then it should be viewed upon because unlike corsy, +/- is based on actual goals scored. You know, those pesky things needed to win games? You know, winning games is what the sport is about?

You are actually knocking advanced stats but still go by +/-?
Fans have articulated why it is outdated. It largely depends on if you are on a good team or poor team. Best example is Chara, from worst +/- in the NHL to best in the NHl in one season. The difference? He went from bottom feeder to cup contender.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And now let's go with what Non-Leaf fans think: Worst everything!
And BTW, Rielly is better than Keith at the same age.
This may be true in the Regular Season and Rielly has a couple years still, but I'd take one prime playoff season from Duncan Keith over Morgan Rielly's career-to-date.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And in the POs Ritchie has 4pts (all goals) in 17 Career Games, Nylander has 4pts (only 1 goal) in 8 Career Games. The Leafs have plenty of guys who can score, maybe, just maybe, exchanging one for a guy who can force some physicality on the Bs could be useful. I mean Mike Milbury suggested putting in Matt Martin, you don't think Ritchie could help the Leafs, I certainly do. Kevan F'ing Miller looks like prime Chris Pronger or Scott Stevens against these Leafs, it's an area the Leafs could use some improvement in.

That's areally small sample size to want to say Ritchie is better.
If you'd rathrer have a 14 goal/28 point forward than a much more talented 60+ point guy, go ahead.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
That's areally small sample size to want to say Ritchie is better.
If you'd rathrer have a 14 goal/28 point forward than a much more talented 60+ point guy, go ahead.
Honestly, in the POs today (I'm a Caps fan) I'd take Ritchie (for the Caps) before Nylander (based on what I've seen of Nylander in the POs) and I don't hate the Leafs.

And yes it's a small sample size but guess what, for most players their Playoff Career is a small sample size. It's ludicrous to suggest it means less because of it.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Honestly, in the POs today (I'm a Caps fan) I'd take Ritchie (for the Caps) before Nylander (based on what I've seen of Nylander in the POs) and I don't hate the Leafs.

And yes it's a small sample size but guess what, for most players their Playoff Career is a small sample size. It's ludicrous to suggest it means less because of it.
But if you are building a team including everything you think Ritchie is better?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
If only we had some kind of function where posters could report threads or posts they believe break the rules. Some type of... report button?

Consensus appears to have been reached. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad