Is Nikita Zaitsev one of the top free agent signings of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paneerboy

Leave Zach alone
May 16, 2015
Panarin and Zaitsev are among the best signings out of Europe in recent years, the impact both were able to have for the teams is unreal (Panarin winning the Calder and turning into an offensive force, Zaitsev looking like a solid Top-4 RHD option). Shipachyov and Dadonov could join them very soon as well. There are other players I'm forgetting for sure.

Saying "free agent signings" implying NHL players, well, they're NHL players.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Excellent find. Some teams trade #1 overall picks for a top-pairing/top4 rhd.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Excellent find. Some teams trade #1 overall picks for a top-pairing/top4 rhd.

That's the thing. Around the same time the Oilers traded Hall for Larsson, the Leafs got a guy just as good if not better for free. After that trade all the talk was will Marner or Nylander be traded for a top 4 D? Nope. The Leafs got one for nothing.
Zaitsev has been so solid this year.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
He has looked outstanding so far this season and is a PPG. Such a complete defender, and to think he still has untapped offensive potential after posting a 36 point rookie season. I could see him being a 40pt, two-way #2/#3 in his prime in the next few years.

Reactions: ThewThew

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yeah we're overrating him aren't we? Better for an organization to give multiple first round picks for young star forwards for a guy like that.

No offense, but it's not like others didn't know of him or try to get him. He chose the team he felt pt he could play for right away and play well.

Great pickup, no doubt. But it's not like they unearthed someone that no one else knew about.

Bobrovsky was someone that only Philly was interested in. Could have been a hell of a signing if not for short sighted owner/GM.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
No offense, but it's not like others didn't know of him or try to get him. He chose the team he felt pt he could play for right away and play well.

Great pickup, no doubt. But it's not like they unearthed someone that no one else knew about.

Bobrovsky was someone that only Philly was interested in. Could have been a hell of a signing if not for short sighted owner/GM.

That's generally how UFA signings work though. Very few sign guys no one else wanted. And I also think it went beyond playing. The Leafs worked really hard to sign him.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
High hockey IQ; sees the game develop quickly, and makes the play accordingly.

So to answer your question, he absolutely is a great signing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Great signing, definitely not the best. Panarin clearly beats him, that's just 1 off the top of my head. The Penguins also got Sheary as an undrafted prospect, he's a top-6 winger now. There's a bunch of top end goalies that can fall in this category, Martin Jones and Cam Talbot were undrafted free agent signings in I think 2013 and Bobrovsky was in 2010. DeKeyser was 2012, Johnson was 2012, Krug was in 2011 and Marchessault was in 2014. He's in that high tier of undrafted free agent signings, but I don't think he's the best one.

2009-2013 yielded a lot of top end undrafted players. All of Zuccarello, Tanev, Krug, Johnson, DeKeyser, Bozak, Bobrovsky, Jones and Talbot ended up very good players from those couple of years.

Reactions: JBeast and 1specter

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Not convinced he's a stalwart defensively, but he's looking like a #2-3D signed long term for 4.5 mil, it's a great contract.

He's definitely one of the best over the past few years. The only one clearly better is Panarin.

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Sensing some jealousy in this thread. Zaitsev is easily one of the best FA signings in years, his poise is remarkable and his contract is a huge bargain for a top D man signed for the next seven years.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
Considering his age, performance thus far and position? Teams are giving up a lot for top 4 D (Especially RH shot D) and he was signed as a UFA at age 24?
Why not provide some content for the rest of the NHL fans here. You know stuff like his age... maybe some stats showing his "performance" up to date. Even what team he plays for. Some people might want to know he was a -22 last year....

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
He's having a pretty wicked start to the year, and I could see him being a 40-50 point d-man going forward.

Seems like everything is going right for the Leafs for the first time in forever. Can't wait for Liljegren and Rasanen to make the team.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

It's not a "find" when a ton of other teams are in on him as well.

Guess neither of you realize the Leafs courted him a year prior to his free agency and the main reason he ultimately chose the Leafs was because they were the first to show interest.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Guess neither of you realize the Leafs courted him a year prior to his free agency and the main reason he ultimately chose the Leafs was because they were the first to show interest.
Someone has to be first, doesn't change that more or less every single team wanted to sign him. He signed with a team that had a very weak D that could give him playing time. Not hard to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad