Is Nikita Zaitsev one of the top free agent signings of the last few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
There's been some ridiculous examples to show how bad +/- is. Chara went from worst in the NHl to best in 1 year. The reason? He was traded from the Islanders to a cup contender in the Sens.
Yes and? How does this relate? Was Toronto a terrible team last year? When your top pair are both in the -20’s and next worst guy is -7 you don’t think that means anything?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yes and? How does this relate? Was Toronto a terrible team last year? When your top pair are both in the -20’s and next worst guy is -7 you don’t think that means anything?
I think the guy looked pretty darn good for his first year in the NHL. And this year he looks great. HE played brutal minutes last season. Tougher than Larsson.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I think the guy looked pretty darn good for his first year in the NHL. And this year he looks great. HE played brutal minutes last season. Tougher than Larsson.
Maybe but he did not handle them well. He did show promise I’m not disagreeing but clearly that pairing was over it’s head. Ideally those guys could have been sheltered by a legit top pair instead of doing the sheltering and getting lit up. Zaitsev was a great pick up though no two ways about it not saying he wasnt but he’s not a proven legit top pair D yet. Larsson is.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Maybe but he did not handle them well. He did show promise I’m not disagreeing but clearly that pairing was over it’s head. Ideally those guys could have been sheltered by a legit top pair instead of doing the sheltering and getting lit up. Zaitsev was a great pick up though no two ways about it not saying he wasnt but he’s not a proven legit top pair D yet. Larsson is.
Larsson is not a top pairing guy.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But he's not. The counter argument is he has never been.
Oh ok the counter argument is he didn’t play with Green on Jerseys top pair when he did and didn’t play on Edmonton’s top pair with Klefbom when he did. Thanks for your alternative facts.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Oh ok the counter argument is he didn’t play with Green on Jerseys top pair when he did and didn’t play on Edmonton’s top pair with Klefbom when he did. Thanks for your alternative facts.

Check his ice-time and usage. Thanks.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Zaitsev hardly ever gets talked about but he's putting together a remarkable season so far.
5v5 Score Adjusted CF%: 52.13
xGF/60: 5.23
xGA/60: 2.93
Offensive Zone Start %: 42%
Defensive Zone Start %: 58%

For those who don't like advanced stats, 5 points in 6 games and a +8.
All while matching up against top lines for the other team and logging more than 22 minutes a game.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Zaitsev hardly ever gets talked about but he's putting together a remarkable season so far.
5v5 Score Adjusted CF%: 52.13
xGF/60: 5.23
xGA/60: 2.93
Offensive Zone Start %: 42%
Defensive Zone Start %: 58%

For those who don't like advanced stats, 5 points in 6 games and a +8.
All while matching up against top lines for the other team and logging more than 22 minutes a game.

lol uhhhhhh...... yeah i dont think thats true right now

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I haven't seen many posts at all about Zaitsev. He's statistically a top 5 defenseman right now, I think it warrants it's own thread.
There is a thread asking if he's one of the best free agent signings in recent years. You didn't look very hard.

But yeah, he's been solid.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
This could have been discussed in the other thread about Zaitsev. He's obviously been very good so far this year but as for Norris consideration, it's still quite early to be anointing anyone as a front runner.

Either way I couldn't be happier that the Leafs grabbed him.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Yeah but remember, he wasn't one of the best UFA signings recently...
A top 4 RH D this good for free? Let The Alberta teams overpay for top 4 D. We got a better one for free.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Leafs management group is so good right now. So many great moves to help with top notch organizational depth.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I haven't seen many posts at all about Zaitsev. He's statistically a top 5 defenseman right now, I think it warrants it's own thread.

I don't care if this is true just please don't say it. Appropriate early season reaction: The Leafs have a great offence. This is appropriate because there offense was great last year, got better on paper in the offseason, and now has started quite hot. Inappropriate early season reaction: whatever the **** this is.

Zaistev is pretty good, but I'm not going to call him anything more than a top 4 dman for a long time.(and since I don't expect him to keep up this pace...probably never)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad