Is Kucherov the undisputed # 1 RW now?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Maybe I'm wrong
Good on you for doing something not enough people do here if they are wrong on something. I agree with you Kane is at least equal now although I think better but your point was off there. Gg

Kane has been better or equal every year but this year and this year he is playing on a far worse team in the West which is generally harder to score in the 2nd hardest rivision (imo metro is #1) in the league while Kuch plays on the most talented offensive team in the league in the easier to score conference in the IMO easiest division in the league. Kane had Panarin in the past but he's not a center. It's much easier to produce as a wing if you have a C that can not only score for you on your set ups but when you got a C setting you up all day in the Atlantic.

He and Laine will be battling here soon but give it another season. Kuch takes this year but it's 1 year and it's by far Chicago's worst season in a decade and Kane lost what was his best friend and the best player he ever played with, he had his best chemistry with him, and clearly they were great friends of.you watch videos, listen to interviews, and look at the numbers. Now that Kane has.gone a year without let's see how Kane recovers.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Would pick Kane because homerism but Kucherov is the #1 now.

Everblades13

May 24, 2016
I'd take Kucherov, but not indisputable. They might be even, but I definitely don't think Kane is better.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Kane was better every season until this one so I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. If Kucherov is better again next season then yes he's the undisputed #1, but right now I'd say it's a 1A/1B situation.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry but no.

Kucherov was better than Kane last year. Higher PPG, more goals and he played WITHOUT Stamkos all year. Kane still had Panarin and such last year.

This year? Kucherov trounced Kane.

Combined both years:

Kucherov 74G, 99A, 173 points in 141 games (1.23 PPG)
Kane 59G, 96A, 155 point in 152 games (1.02 PPG)

I'm one to always talk about track record and not jumping the gun in annointing someone as better than a more established player after just 1 year - but at this point Kucherov is absolutely above Kane. No questions asked.

I think this is the first year you can say with certainty Kucherov had a better season. Last year they produced close enough that you could make a fair case for either guy. Prior to that Kane blew him away.

So I do think Kucherov needs at least another season like this one, where he's clearly above Kane, before he can take the crown. Kane's track record is too good to lose it after one year (this year).

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
OP said now, as in this season.

He didn't say now+past 10 years, Kucherov is hitting his prime and Kane is coming out of it.

Yes he is 100% undisputed.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

The General

Mar 11, 2018
I think he takes First Team All-Star RW this year.

That doesn't necessarily mean he's the best player at right wing in the NHL. Why do I say this? Because Kucherov plays with Stamkos. It's that simple. Kane has had rotating linemates all season, making it hard to get any real chemistry.

That's not to say that Kucherov isn't the best player at right wing in the NHL. But undisputed? I think not.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Well, Kucherov plays with Stamkos

Kane plays with garbage. Kuch is super elite but i think Kane is a better player.

Kucherov played without Stamkos last year and still outscored Kane. Kuch is better, and He's pretty good away from the puck aswell.

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
Kucherov is better than Kane at this stage in their careers. The numbers speak for themselves when the gap is that big.

Yarbles02

Dee’s A Bird!
Feb 10, 2012
Edmonton
I think he is #1 at the moment I don’t care who he plays with. I’m excited to see him in the playoffs. He has been a beast in the past, Should be fun.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Well, Kucherov plays with Stamkos

Kane plays with garbage. Kuch is super elite but i think Kane is a better player.

Kane doesn't drive the play despite putting up a ton of points. Kane has some of the easiest competition and zone starts in the entire league. Kuch is also significantly better defensively.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kane doesn't drive the play despite putting up a ton of points. Kane has some of the easiest competition and zone starts in the entire league. Kuch is also significantly better defensively.
Kane absolutely does not get easy competition. If you look at the matchups when controlled by coaches (so when at home) Kane actually gets tougher usage than Kucherov by the two main QOC metrics (TOI% and CF%). He also gets tougher minutes on the road. The difference in ZSR is like 4% in Kane's favor.

Kucherov has been the better player over the last 2 seasons, but Kane isn't sheltered or gets easy usage. Teams are always going to try to match-up against him, which prevents that from happening. But, as shown, even when having last change Quenneville doesn't hide Kane.

If you want to talk players who play easy minutes, its almost always 4th liners playing 4th liners. Otherwise, due to how the league has coaches who preach match-ups there is always a heavy balance among teams top 2 lines. The only elite player who is bottom 20 in QOC TOI% (which I prefer to QOC CF% because it shows how coaches want to match-up, and with 4th line vs 4th line the possession is always going to have a winner) is Phil Kessel. Guys like Marner, Barzal and Laine are in the bottom 25% of players who played over 1000 minutes at 5v5.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
The only RWs I could see fighting with him for the top spot in any near future season are Kane, Voracek and Tarasenko. Or perhaps Laine? We'll see how things go for Kucherov in the future, but he's proven to be elite so far. If he can keep it up, I think he could be a future HOFer. Exceptional player these two last seasons. If he was an English canadian, everybody would be talking about him.

Reactions: geoo9

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Kane absolutely does not get easy competition. If you look at the matchups when controlled by coaches (so when at home) Kane actually gets tougher usage than Kucherov by the two main QOC metrics (TOI% and CF%). He also gets tougher minutes on the road. The difference in ZSR is like 4% in Kane's favor.

Kucherov has been the better player over the last 2 seasons, but Kane isn't sheltered or gets easy usage. Teams are always going to try to match-up against him, which prevents that from happening. But, as shown, even when having last change Quenneville doesn't hide Kane.

If you want to talk players who play easy minutes, its almost always 4th liners playing 4th liners. Otherwise, due to how the league has coaches who preach match-ups there is always a heavy balance among teams top 2 lines. The only elite player who is bottom 20 in QOC TOI% (which I prefer to QOC CF% because it shows how coaches want to match-up, and with 4th line vs 4th line the possession is always going to have a winner) is Phil Kessel. Guys like Marner, Barzal and Laine are in the bottom 25% of players who played over 1000 minutes at 5v5.

Ah alright I apologize I checked now and you're right. Either it's memory or the specific site I checked gave wrong data because I remember way back Kane faced super easy comp on this one site I can't quite recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad