Is Kucherov the undisputed # 1 RW now?

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Um, perhaps you are forgetting the 2015 Stanley Cup playoffs. Kane put up 23 points and nearly won the Conn Smythe trophy, while Kucherov put up 1 point less and had more game winning goals than I can remember - both, equally, dominated that post-season.

As I said, Kuch is a playoff gamer. 10 points in round 1. Dominant in all phases of the game, plain and simple.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
Both guys are playoff gamers. Not really something to use for or against either guy, since I think they're on equal footing.

I agree. For context, my comment was in response to someone’s assertion that the jury was still out on Kucherov’s ability to perform during the postseason, and thus claiming Kane was still on yet a higher level. That is simply an errant contention.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Both guys are playoff gamers. Not really something to use for or against either guy, since I think they're on equal footing.
I’d say Kuch is even better in the playoffs. 14 onward he leads the league in playoff scoring despite missing the playoffs last year and getting swept in round 1 in 14.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Sorry but no.

Kucherov was better than Kane last year. Higher PPG, more goals and he played WITHOUT Stamkos all year. Kane still had Panarin and such last year.

This year? Kucherov trounced Kane.

Combined both years:

Kucherov 74G, 99A, 173 points in 141 games (1.23 PPG)
Kane 59G, 96A, 155 point in 152 games (1.02 PPG)

I'm one to always talk about track record and not jumping the gun in annointing someone as better than a more established player after just 1 year - but at this point Kucherov is absolutely above Kane. No questions asked.
Still had Hedman though, no? Didn't anyone notice what happened to Kuch's play when Hedman was injured this year? It coincidentally dropped off, and coincidentally picked up when Hedman came back. Hedman appears to have a sizeable impact on Kuch's play much more so than Stamkos does. Not that I think Kane is better, I'd put Kuch slightly ahead of Kane, even though he's on a stacked line on a more stacked team.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I dunno, give Kane a top player like Panarin and he's Hart-caliber. That's one notch clearly above Kucherov.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I remember this discussion last year where people still gave a slight edge to Kane and Tarasenko, is it safe to say that Kucherov is now the prime right winger in today’s game ?

Some dude named Patrick laine is a natural right winger

and toss in the other names---there is some dispute as to who is the best

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
But Kane's season was 2 full years ago. If it was last year? i'd be 100% on board. Kane has been underwhelming for 2 straight years now (esp this year) coming off of that spectacular season. How is that relevant to the question of who is better now?

Kucherov had the better end to 2015-2016 by having a great playoff run (Kane's wasn't). He outperformed him the next year, and this year has outperformed him by a LOT.

He's passed Kane. If Kane bounces back with a spectacular season next year and Kucherov stumbles - maybe you call them even, or even claim Kane is back ahead. But 2 years is enough of a trend to have Kucherov alone at the top.

You do know he was 2nd in the league in points last year right? You call that underwhelming yet Kucherov has never placed 2 let alone 1. I'm all for Kucherov but this statement is stupid. 2nd place finish in scoring = underwhelming.

Reactions: kanetoews1988

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Some dude named Patrick laine is a natural right winger

and toss in the other names---there is some dispute as to who is the best

Laine to Kucherov is a joke of a comparison. He's only about 35 points behind Kucherov this year alone.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
undisputed

adjective
If you describe someone as the undisputed leader or champion, you mean that everyone accepts their position as leader or champion.

If you look at the Jets line up compared to TBs line up--I see more ability on the TB line up meaning speading out your shutdown guys-- on the Jets is you shut down Laine you shut down their biggest goal scoring thread on TB you need to shut down Kuch and Stamp

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I dunno, give Kane a top player like Panarin and he's Hart-caliber. That's one notch clearly above Kucherov.

Weird thing to say considering Kucherov had a better PPG and significantly more goals than Kane last year - while Panarin was on the Hawks and Stamkos missed the majority of the season.

People just didn't realize how good Kucherov was last year and still don't which is a big issue. To be honest there's not much of a difference between last years Kucherov and this years Kucherov IMO. But Stamkos has been healthy all year, the Bolts have been on top of the league instead of scratching and clawing trying to make the playoffs and Kuch played 6 more games - all factor in making the jump from 85 pts to 100 pts.

As per usual people need to see flashy numbers before they realize how good someone is.

Fact is Kane was better 3 years ago. There's been 2 seasons in between now. That should be enough of a sample size to draw conclusion for "the now".

I still think Kane is an elite winger for sure, and the difference between elite wingers in the game is minimal - anyone could have the best season. But there's not much more Kucherov could've done the past couple years not to win this comparison as of now, there has to be bias for anyone saying Kane is the better player.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
1) you can not count
2) Laine 44 goals Kucherov 39 goals--so I have laine scoring more goals then kucherov---so that by itself allows the debate to rule out undisputed

Kucherov is definitely better today, but what Laine accompled as a 19 year old with limited minutes(not only 5v5/ EV but had less PP minutes as well) and beside a aging half-decent Center(Little, don’t get me wrong he used to be great) and a varying rotation of opposing linemate Wingers while Kucherov played beside Stamkos(a bonafide Superstar/Elite/Franchise Center) with more minutes Even Stregth and Power Play wise.

I mean next year I think it’s a battle between these two(with Laines minutes potentially going way up and playing beside his Franchise Centerman in Scheifele), no question Kuch should be the favour here as he’s off an insane 100pt season... Also can’t forget Kane.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Kucherov to start the year was the best stretch of play I've ever seen in my 20 years of watching. Every time he had the puck for more than 2 seconds it would end up in the back of the net.

If he upped his game to that level this post season you could just give the Lightning the cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad