Is it time to blow the team up and rebuild?

Is it time to rebuild?

• Total voters

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Finish dead last this year and keep the core, draft one of Dahlin Boqvist Svechnikov or Tkachuk and honestly we would be good to go next year.

Won't happen, we are too good to tank and too bad to win the Stanley Cup, we are stuck with 20-25 draft pick until Price is injured for a long period (and we replace him with Montoya) or done.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I was kind of optimistic with the Drouin trade. We were going for it.

Then we lost Radulov, then Markov.

The time was now, but we'll be mediocre for the next few years. We won't be bottom feeders, because Price, Weber and Drouin are excellent to elite players. But we don't have any elite prospects, so yeah, we're not shooting for the stars here.

That's the worst of both worlds. We're what the Leafs were.

Reactions: NHLFutureGuy3

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

I must have missed that? When was the last time the Leafs were lining up 100 pts. seasons and division titles?

I'm not saying we're doing good, but we're nothing like what the Leafs were.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I must have missed that? When was the last time the Leafs were lining up 100 pts. seasons and division titles?

I'm not saying we're doing good, but we're nothing like what the Leafs were.

from 98-2004, they were a consistent 95-100 point team(1 year at 90, but still advanced in the playoffs), making it out of the 1st round all but once, and twice hitting the conference finals. That was a solid run, but, always just below being a true contender.

iirc, their big crash from 2005-2015 was in large part fuelled by exactly the kind of asset mismanagment that MB has been engaged in by chasing regular season success and sacrificing long term strategic building for short-term stop gap decisions and relying on existing, aging talent (Sundin, Joseph, Roberts).

If anything, that's what is so troubling about our recent "run" and current state. Like those leafs, whom i'm sure many fans defended because of the 100 pt seasons, we aren't focused on building a winner, just on getting to the playoffs. And like the leafs, is this poor approach is allowed to continue, we'll end up falling off of a cliff that could take a decade to work ourselves out of.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Way to encourage a rational dialog. They're called OPINIONS. You don't have to agree with what the guy said but neither are you obligated to act like an 8-year old.

Why don't you practice being an adult once in awhile?
I don't know how to respond to this comment as nothing I said was "8-year old" like. Maybe you need to pick up a dictionary and look up 2 words. 1) Asinine and 2)Hypocrit, as it's quiet obvious you have no idea what #1 means, which leads to #2 when your entire comment is a contradiction.

Is that adult enough for you my Lord?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I was kind of optimistic with the Drouin trade. We were going for it.

Then we lost Radulov, then Markov.

The time was now, but we'll be mediocre for the next few years. We won't be bottom feeders, because Price, Weber and Drouin are excellent to elite players. But we don't have any elite prospects, so yeah, we're not shooting for the stars here.

So much this. They are in sports purtagatory: Not good enough to win a championship; not bad enough to collect picks.

Reactions: Runner77

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Habs are now stucked with Price's contract.

The guy will be (is) untradable !!!

I don't agree. Price can be traded. We just need to take back another big contract in exchange. Byfuglien in Winnipeg would be a good example. Since we'd be rebuilding anyway, we shouldn't really care taking back bad contracts if in the process we're snagging 1st & 2nd rounders.

Genesis76

True Leader
May 3, 2013
If we only traded Pacioretty and made Subban the Captain we wouldn't be here again.

This team looks like the Toronto Mapple Leafs post-Sundin area.

Reactions: DAChampion

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
This team is in no-mans land. They have a bunch of aging stars and have made some horrendus personel decisions along the way. There is no one in the minors who can help right now. It does not look very good.

They need a major rebuild. I just dont see MB and Timmins as the right people for the job. Time to accumulate draft picks and trade some vets.

Btw, so fed up with the organization not giving room for young players to develop. They always favour vets and are so conservative when it comes to allowing young players to play.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This team is in no-mans land. They have a bunch of aging stars and have made some horrendus personel decisions along the way. There is no one in the minors who can help right now. It does not look very good.

They need a major rebuild. I just dont see MB and Timmins as the right people for the job. Time to accumulate draft picks and trade some vets.

Btw, so fed up with the organization not giving room for young players to develop. They always favour vets and are so conservative when it comes to allowing young players to play.
A freaking 19 year old 4th round pick is playing on the first pair of our D and you come up with this comment??? What in the world?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
A freaking 19 year old 4th round pick is playing on the first pair of our D and you come up with this comment??? What in the world?

Do you not find it troubling that the team has to resort to an unproven teenage player to play #1B because the off season acquisitions are so mediocre?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Won't happen, we are too good to tank and too bad to win the Stanley Cup, we are stuck with 20-25 draft pick until Price is injured for a long period (and we replace him with Montoya) or done.

I don’t think it’s unrealistic to think we’ll tank even with Price healthy. He hasn’t looked super sharp early either. This team is just bad. It’s probably best for this franchise that we don’t sell out games because that’s affecting business and that’s the only thing that’ll open Molsons eyes, which have been shut for atleast two years now.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
Do you not find it troubling that the team has to resort to an unproven teenage player to play #1B because the off season acquisitions are so mediocre?

Mete didn't steal his job, he is NHL level and deserves to be where he is. What's the problem? Some still whine that Habs never give chance to young players, which is total bs. Why aren't you happy instead about having a 19yo making the team, able to play along Weber?

Harry22

Mar 28, 2005
Montreal
It's a long season, just four games in. But yeah, I guess it's better to whine everyday about everything Mario. Keep it up.

Again what’s your goal here? Be Cup contenders or playoff contenders? This team is nowhere close to being a Cup contender and won’t be with the current management in place.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

This team needed a rebuild from Day 1 of MB's tenure, the only thing he did was put it off and let the team's fortunes (or lack of) exhaust themselves of their own accord. Maybe we would of accomplished a bit more with a better hand behind the wheel but I doubt our situation would be that much different.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Mete didn't steal his job, he is NHL level and deserves to be where he is. What's the problem? Some still whine that Habs never give chance to young players, which is total bs. Why aren't you happy instead about having a 19yo making the team, able to play along Weber?

I'm happy Mete is a good player. Who the hell isn't? My point is that we needed to rely on Mete making the team to have anything near a partner for Weber. That demonstrates pitiful foresight, acquisition and analysis by Bergevin.

HabsForHire

"Expect the unexpected"
Sep 21, 2011
CT
It's a long season, just four games in. But yeah, I guess it's better to whine everyday about everything Mario. Keep it up.
i wish i had your optimism but you need to open your eyes, this team is garbage and "IF" they make the playoffs they will be bounced first round. Leading to a fantastic 25 overall pick. sorry but we need a lot higher a pick to start to fix this team

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad