Speculation: is it time to blow it up???

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
This team is a complete joke. I don't know why I even waste my time watching this team anymore. I am so fed up with this.

I know. It must be so painful for you.

Listen, bro, if you need to take a break, I'm sure we'll all understand.

If you haven't got your health, you haven't got anything.

4c788532c6860-96x96.jpg

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Here's my two cents on Marc Staal (even though no one asked)- someone is going to pay him more than he is worth, but even if he ends up here at 5-6 million a year, I'd be ok with it for a few reasons. One, even though he's not that great he's still better than almost everyone on our defense for the past 5 years. Two, if he comes here as the only Staal brother without a Cup ring, he may just motivate the other two- both to try to win one for him and to ensure that he'll always have one less than they each have. If the Rangers win the Cup this year though, forget it. He'll make way more money that way and the second point will be void.

I would lose quite a bit of confidence in RF if he gave MStaal a contract like that. You also have to consider if we do sign Marc, that in all likelihood means Eric is retiring a Hurricane. I know I entertain the motivation-factor pipe dream also, but I wouldn't put much stock into it.

On a quasi-related note, it seems obvious at this point it isn't about motivation or effort with Eric (and who's to say it ever was), it's just his body breaking down due to how heavily he was relied upon over the years (like we saw with Ward). I don't see the point in him fighting through any type of injury this season, like it has appeared he's been doing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yup. Trade or waive everybody. My proposed lines going forward:

Chantel-Francis-Forslund
Ron the Ref-Brian Hoyle-Amber Jaye
Larry Olsen-Linda Craft-Doug Warf
Rameses-The Blue Devil-Mr. Wuf

Maniscalco-Kaiton
Chubby-Stormy
P. Karmanos-J. Karmanos

Tripp
Big Mike

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Chantel-Francis-Forslund

Maniscalco-Kaiton
Chubby-Stormy
P. Karmanos-J. Karmanos

Tripp
Big Mike

You don't seem to understand the meaning of...

vjdmUA7.gif

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
There is nothing to blow up. Ruutu, Jokinen, Pitkanen.... JR already got rid of most of the mediocre vets

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada

Chantel-Francis-Forslund

Maniscalco-Kaiton
Chubby-Stormy
P. Karmanos-J. Karmanos

Tripp
Big Mike

I think Equipment Manager Skip Cunningham makes much more sense in the 1st line LW spot. Chantel isn't ready for that responsibility yet. Best to have a wily old vet on 1st line.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
The good news on this 'blow it up' talk, is that the timer is already set.

Under contract in 16-17:
Skinner, Jordan Staal, Semin, Faulk, and Hainsey. 5 players total.

Two years of ugh, and then it's mostly a clean slate. Only Semin and Hainsey are potentially unmovable burdens. 16-17 is when we really get a chance to see what type of GM Ron's going to be.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina

Under contract in 16-17:

Two years of ugh, and then it's mostly a clean slate. Only Semin and Hainsey are potentially unmovable burdens. 16-17 is when we really get a chance to see what type of GM Ron's going to be.

That is a bonus

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Under contract in 16-17:

But, but, but in Blue Devil's little world we trade those guys too, so we wind up with NOBODY under contract in '16-'17. Doesn't that make even more better perfect awesome sense? :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
We should try to get all of Buffalos 1st round picks. And bring on the tank even harder.

Make it a 3 way:

To Carolina:
Cap dumps
NYI, Blues, Buffalo, NYR 1st

To Buffalo:
Eric, Jordan, Marc, Jared

To NYR:
Sekera

Thehair17

Nov 2, 2013
Alberta
We should try to get all of Buffalos 1st round picks. And bring on the tank even harder.

Make it a 3 way:

To Carolina:
Cap dumps
NYI, Blues, Buffalo, NYR 1st

To Buffalo:
Eric, Jordan, Marc, Jared

To NYR:
Sekera
I agree with the rest, but we shouldn't give up #BestStaal

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
On a quasi-related note, it seems obvious at this point it isn't about motivation or effort with Eric (and who's to say it ever was), it's just his body breaking down due to how heavily he was relied upon over the years (like we saw with Ward). I don't see the point in him fighting through any type of injury this season, like it has appeared he's been doing.

I really don't think there's much to this. There are others who have played just as much who are fine. Ward is fine (better than fine) again this year. We don't have any reason to believe there is some threshold for play where peoples' bodies "break down" and assigning blame to that is simply assigning blame to something random that cannot be disproven.

There were articles written about Staal dating back to just a couple years after the Stanley Cup season that were similar. For example: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...econstructing-the-inscrutable-?urn=nhl,146690

Besides, it's not like he's ever played a particularly energetic or physically demanding game. He's not Ovechkin out there throwing checks.

</rant>

Last edited:

bluedevil58*

Worked well for Florida

I agree. They made the playoffs the 1 year they actually did a rebuild from free agency. I think that was the year they made it to the playoffs which was a major victory for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad