Speculation: is it time to blow it up???

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
I really don't think there's much to this. There are others who have played just as much who are fine. Ward is fine (better than fine) again this year. We don't have any reason to believe there is some threshold for play where peoples' bodies "break down" and assigning blame to that is simply assigning blame to something random that cannot be disproven.

There were articles written about Staal dating back to just a couple years after the Stanley Cup season that were similar. For example: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...econstructing-the-inscrutable-?urn=nhl,146690

Besides, it's not like he's ever played a particularly energetic or physically demanding game. He's not Ovechkin out there throwing checks.

</rant>

Well then I guess it's time to close up shop. Since virtually no speculation on these boards can be disproven, there's no point in anyone speculating anything on here. By the way, I was talking specifically about Eric Staal, not some imaginary threshold that ALL hockey players that have ever played might hit before their bodies break down.

My point: I've always questioned his effort, but this year in particular he looks more like a guy dropping off quickly after some serious injuries than a guy that looks completely disinterested 90% of his shifts.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
hurricanes hockey does make me fear for my life so i guess it doesnt matter because the best way to fight terroirsm is with more terrorism #thanksobama,bush,and,etc

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
let's all band together against forces of terrorism (posibly from other boards, not sure yet (not confirmed))

#impeachbobamao

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
the dignity of north korean sovereign national hockey team shall not be insulted. these cowardly remarks shall be considered an act of war of the highest order and grave consequences will befall any who insult the supremacy of dear leader.

tumblr_lxe8dmyrYb1qdvatvo1_400.png

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Well I first posted this thread back before Thanksgiving... Here it is at Christmas... Now can we blow this mess up???? I guess the biggest question is what to do with the staals.... I doubt Eric waives his no trade.... Does anyone think signing Marc is a good idea????? If we added Marc plus one of mceichel... That would be an improvement... But the cap.........

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
It's not just the cap that's a problem. I'm assuming the team is going to absolutely bleed money this season with attendance falling through the floor and it wouldn't surprise me if the payroll is cut next season.

Good point, just how many people are in the seats vrs announced attendance??

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
They suck enough with the Staal's (well, one Staal is injured) anyway, so I don't see the need to trade them right now.

Draft McEichel and roll with:

Gerbe-Staal-Rask
Lindholm-Staal-Semin
McEichel-Nash-Skinner
who cares

That top line blows, but E. Staal has produced with scrubs in the past, and the middle 6 is decent enough on paper. Or switch Rask and Skinner.

Last edited:

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
None. I was literally the only person in the stands the other day at the Rangers game.
Or at least one of the few Canes fans. We had the entire row to ourselves.

The worst part was around 3-4 minutes to go and nearly the entire building was silent in with a one goal lead. Well, with the exception of the attention-starved mugging for the Jumbotron. Really poor showing.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Or at least one of the few Canes fans. We had the entire row to ourselves.

The worst part was around 3-4 minutes to go and nearly the entire building was silent in with a one goal lead. Well, with the exception of the attention-starved mugging for the Jumbotron. Really poor showing.

What happens next year when we get McDavid (for example), Ward plays a little worse, E Staal continues to deteriorate, and the Canes are just as bad? Will the fans magically show because of a high draft pick?

I'm not usually a pessimist (see my battles with totalkev and my yearly statement to Dave "yeah I think we'll squeak into the playoffs"), but lately I'm a little down on the overall state of fan interest and (more importantly) support of this franchise.

I could be completely wrong tho. It has happened, once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad