Votes: 41 27.5%
  • Awful and I spend less on the team because of him

Votes: 87 58.4%

• Total voters

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Happens all the time in pro sports - like all the time.

The Montreal Expo's Washington Nationals and Anaheim Los Angeles Angels in the MLB.

The Oakland Las Vegas Raiders, the San Diego Los Angeles Chargers, Houston Oilers Tennessee Titans in the NFL.

The Vancouver Memphis Grizzlies, Seattle Supersonics OKC Thunder in the NBA.

The Atlanta Thrashers Winnipeg Jets or the Hartford Whalers Carolina Hurricanes in the NHL.

See a pattern? Each on of these franchises had declining attendance and revenue, made the media aware, and either sold and moved or just moved.

You don't think Pierre Karl Pellideua isn't watching this with glee? He HAS a new arena, he HAS the money. Quebec City is a viable option. The Board of Goveners would approve it unanimously. You're not taking a franchise away from America.

If Phoenix isn't fixed, we're doomed.And all those people who want Melnyk to sell. Politely be quiet.

You think new ownership would keep this team here? No. Absolutely not. It costs too much as it stands for Eugene to move for at least another three to five years.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

Give me a break. Your grasp of the situation is tenous at best. You don't even know what city the Angels play in.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Coming in peace because I have a distaste for bad owners. We have had our fair share in Toronto. The thing I don't understand is his unwillingness to put the few extra dollars down when your team is clearly able to compete. That and the very questionable moves and outbursts that alienate fans.

He sounds like a softer version of Ballard.

Look at how exciting NSH makes hockey and really all they have done is craft a culture around the team brilliantly, custom chants, graphics and endorsements. The guy could raise ticket prices a little and offer cheap parking. People hate paying 30 for parking, your owner, honestly, he is anti fan.

How much is he spending? Do you know? If you do, how much more do you want him to spend with the attendance issues? We are not Toronto that plays to capacity and probably double the prices. Is Duchene coming here a cost cutting move?

handslikefeet

Jan 10, 2017
How much is he spending? Do you know? If you do, how much more do you want him to spend with the attendance issues? We are not Toronto that plays to capacity and probably double the prices. Is Duchene coming here a cost cutting move?

-Melnyk literally told us how much he is spending on Friday, as well disclosed his bare bones outlook.
-Duchene was a classic money in/money out transaction. You can't really call it a cost cut but it sure as hell wasn't a splurge on his part.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I think Melnyk would be a better owner if he was doing better financially. He is acting like someone in distress. Cutting management to the bone, keeping the low budget etc. He does seem passionate about owning the hockey team. However, he really needs to hire a publicist to manage his public image and stop making rash off-the-cuff remarks.

I feel the same way. Melynk is managing a team whose revenue is typically mid level and spending on it accordingly. But his chief problem is that he has no sense of how poorly certain sound bytes will play out. Eg, Forensic Investigation of Matt Cooke, Any idiot could spend money, I'm a whistle blower with respect to Vialeant Pharmaceuticals, and I'm sure there's a few others we would like to forget about.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to attendance if simply stopped talking to the media for an entire year.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If attendance is 100% the fans' fault, how can we judge an owner? Shouldn't that be the #1 criteria when judging a businessman, how many customers/sales he can get?

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
He used to be a good owner in his early days as owner but multiple things changed:
  • He left Biovail as CEO and Chairman
  • He started meddling with the management and roster decisions
  • He got a divorce
I feel those things really affected him as an owner and the team negatively.

Reactions: YOW

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I feel the same way. Melynk is managing a team whose revenue is typically mid level and spending on it accordingly. But his chief problem is that he has no sense of how poorly certain sound bytes will play out. Eg, Forensic Investigation of Matt Cooke, Any idiot could spend money, I'm a whistle blower with respect to Vialeant Pharmaceuticals, and I'm sure there's a few others we would like to forget about.

It would be interesting to see what would happen to attendance if simply stopped talking to the media for an entire year.

He doesn't have a coherent message even in a single interview. He needs someone to teach him PR. Have one message, stick to it. And not "big bucks on Dorion" followed up with "losing so much money, relocation".

He can be honest "we're working with some constrained resources and on a budget but if we feel the team has a legitimate chance to win, we'll load up", "there are attendance challenges but I'm working on it with the organization" and follow through on that. He could choose not to speak at all.

When even Bettman and his team with some time to digest the comments has no f***ing idea what to say and comes out with a very weak defense of an owner... you know it's bad by Melnyk. I'm not too sure about lasting damage but Melnyk could help his situation and Ottawa's situation by improving his behavior and interviews.

Reactions: ColinM

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if this is all calculated.

1) Drive fans away:
- No improvements to the fan experience
- Gut sales and marketing
- Increase prices across the board. ($17 for a glass of $2 wine, double the parking fee, 10-20% ticket increase)
- Call out fans in media.

2) Threaten relocation based on attendance.

3) Blackmail city into better Lebreton deal

Let's face it. If the team was wildly successful then he would make what...an extra 5-10 million on the year, but he would have zero leverage with the city. He can get a lot more out of the city in the Lebreton deal than he would ever make from a season of sellouts.

Unfortunately this means things are only going to get worse until a deal is reached. Next will be moving a high price player for younger assets. Then explicitly threatening to move Karlsson. Visiting other cities on mock relocation tours, etc. etc.

Hopefully it's sorted out by the summer so it doesn't carry over into next year or else this core will be gone as the vitriol in the market will be untenable.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
He can be honest "we're working with some constrained resources and on a budget but if we feel the team has a legitimate chance to win, we'll load up", "there are attendance challenges but I'm working on it with the organization" and follow through on that. He could choose not to speak at all.

What makes me mad is that I think this message is something many fans would get behind. Nobody wants reckless spending and almost everyone gets that even in a good year the Sens won't generate as much revenue as the Leafs and Canadiens. I think an owner could acknowledge that without alienating people. Yet Melynk perhaps unintentionally seems quite willing to alienate people.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
What makes me mad is that I think this message is something many fans would get behind. Nobody wants reckless spending and almost everyone gets that even in a good year the Sens won't generate as much revenue as the Leafs and Canadiens. I think an owner could acknowledge that without alienating people. Yet Melynk perhaps unintentionally seems quite willing to alienate people.

He has said the first one before almost verbatim so obviously someone close to him has some sense. If only he listened to that person more.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

1) Drive fans away:
- Increase prices across the board. ($17 for a glass of $2 wine, double the parking fee, 10-20% ticket increase)

Isn't that essentially the plot of Major League?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Isn't that essentially the plot of Major League?
Does that mean we are getting out of this losing streak by boucher removing pieces of clothing from a cardboard cut out of Melnyk each time we win until a nude pic of Melnyk is revealed? Why did you have to go there Bonk...

6wKybvD.png

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

1) Drive fans away:

3) Blackmail city into better Lebreton deal

Let's face it. If the team was wildly successful then he would make what...an extra 5-10 million on the year, but he would have zero leverage with the city. He can get a lot more out of the city in the Lebreton deal than he would ever make from a season of sellouts.

Unfortunately this means things are only going to get worse until a deal is reached. Next will be moving a high price player for younger assets. Then explicitly threatening to move Karlsson. Visiting other cities on mock relocation tours, etc. etc.

Hopefully it's sorted out by the summer so it doesn't carry over into next year or else this core will be gone as the vitriol in the market will be untenable.

I think you are reaching. But that is just my opinion. I think people are reading into things way too much, as is the case when a team is floundering and the owner says some unpopular things.

No doubt he will gut the team and rely on drafting and keep his costs low. But, you never know, as Mario did the city tours and ended up getting his brand new arena. Looks like a tried and true formula I would say.

Fans will have to decide at some point if they can put their hatred aside for the owner and support the team. If they do not, well...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
If attendance is 100% the fans' fault, how can we judge an owner? Shouldn't that be the #1 criteria when judging a businessman, how many customers/sales he can get?

I guess on price, and I think we are the cheapest in Canada . Next , is product. That is a tricky one because it is sport and anything can happen. You are not guaranteed a win, or an entertaining game. But you have players to watch, like Karlsson and others. Tonight, he was worth the price. Fans will have to decide whether their stance is going to affect the team on the ice or not.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I've stopped attending games. I won't be back as long as Melnyk owns the team. A new owner might prompt me to become a season ticket holder. I don't believe Ottawa is a bad hockey market. We're just disgusted with the owner.

I think that is too bad. I think that people who take this stance put into question how good this market is. That is my opinion, which I know is unpopular around here. But that is just how I see it. I couldn't abandon my team, even with a loudmouth owner, because I want to watch my team, not Eugene Melnyk talk. This is a gate-driven league. We all know that. This will not only punish the owner, which I can understand, and what everyone wants to do. It also, jeopardizes the club's ability to use revenue to keep our favourite players. That , I don't get.

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Business Dotard? Guy has a big mouth, yes.

Have you noticed , by chance , what is on the previously escrowed land around the arena he bought for peanuts?

People are blinded by hatred, so much that they cannot see what has developed on those lands. He is not a business dotard lol. He is a buffoon.
I am well aware of Mr. Melnyk's business operations thanks and stand by business dotard in the past five years comparative to his genius in the two decades prior. Acerus specifically. Not the Senators or real estate.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think Melnyk would be a better owner if he was doing better financially. He is acting like someone in distress. Cutting management to the bone, keeping the low budget etc. He does seem passionate about owning the hockey team. However, he really needs to hire a publicist to manage his public image and stop making rash off-the-cuff remarks.

I think Melnyk knew exactly what he was doing, when he spouted off on Friday evening.

He knows the financial situation the team is in, and the attendance issues.

He knows how the negotiations with the NCC are moving along.

He knew how the media was primed with questions when stories about players being asked for their "don't trade me to" lists, were circulating for about a week.

He knew whatever he was going to be asked about would command a ton of attention with the nation sports media in Ottawa for the 100th anniversary outdoor game.
He knew there could not have been a more "perfect storm" of attention, speculation, rumours and a stage on which to send his message.

What was the most talked about topic for the past four or five days.

Melnyk knew exactly what he was doing.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Save your "I hate Yost" replies and actually read this and pretend that someone other than Yost wrote it.

I for one enjoy Yost and thought that this piece was quite eye-opening:

And One More Thing

If you don't wanna read, just move on.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Save your "I hate Yost" replies and actually read this and pretend that someone other than Yost wrote it.

I for one enjoy Yost and thought that this piece was quite eye-opening:

And One More Thing

If you don't wanna read, just move on.

Wasn't the whole "I hate Yost" thing started by people that got upset that he had suggested the Sens were having money/owner issues several years ago? I always have appreciated his analysis back to his HB days.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Wasn't the whole "I hate Yost" thing started by people that got upset that he had suggested the Sens were having money/owner issues several years ago? I always have appreciated his analysis back to his HB days.

I think his analysis has always been fantastic, but people can't get past the fact that he worked for HockeyBuzz and is big on analytics. Old school hockey people. He now works for TSN, so obviously somebody liked his work enough to hire him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad