HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I had a friend who said the same thing about Enron.

Doesn't always work. Sometimes it does. There are no guarantees in life

Dubois regressed because of his play, which led to reduced usage throughout the year, not the other way around.

Going to a team that just invested 68M$ in him & had more scoring depth than his previous teams, was a better situation, not a worse one, bud.

Placing someone you just paid a big price and a big contract on the 3rd line won't go well. He's just not the type to lead a line by himself. Got to manage and utilize him better IMO.

My gut tells me he is a bit deflated. Asked out of Columbus and has been wanting to play for the Habs for a while now. Habs just couldn't trade those assets. Probably thought LA was a good landing spot (if not the Habs) and LA used him as a 3C for most of the season. This may sound like excuses or context but that's what my gut tells me.

Regardless of where he is, I am curious to see how the next 7 years play out. I don't think he remains at this low level for the entire 7 years. We will see.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
That's assuming Dubois is just a 3C bum now. Which I don't assume he is. Many of you see problems, I see opportunity.
I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion.
On the contrary, i'm not assuming anything.

I'm open to the fact that he could still turn it around and be a 65 point player again.
But it's far from being a sure thing and he could also continue to be a 40 point player, or worse, and that would be a disaster at 7M for another 7 years.
That alone could derail the rebuild.

There has to be an incentive to taking that big a risk.

At his best, he should be paid 6.5M and at his worst 4M.
I think 5.5M could be a fair compromise.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm not sure how you can come to this conclusion.
On the contrary, i'm not assuming anything.

I'm open to the fact that he could still turn it around and be a 65 point player again.
But it's far from being a sure thing and he could also continue to be a 40 point player, or worse, and that would be a disaster at 7M for another 7 years.
That alone could derail the rebuild.

There has to be an incentive to taking that big a risk.

At his best, he should be paid 6.5M and at his worst 4M.
I think 5.5M could be a fair compromise.

It won't derail the rebuild that greatly but it could cause cap issues maybe. All I am saying is there is a chance he is happy in Montreal and MSL utilizes him well in a top 6 mix. We do have anchor contracts but they last 3 years. Dubois is for 7 and 4 more on top of the 3 for Gallagher and Anderson.

I just don't see Dubois remaining at the low level of play if he was in a top 6 mix with talent. I stand firm on that.

One way or another, this young Habs core needs to add players with size/skating and players who can chip in with goals. Our team will be exciting to watch but if we don't have the right size mixed in, we are going nowhere in the playoffs. Reality. Dach and Slaf up front is not enough.

Inquiring on Anchor contract for anchor contracts in Dubois trade talks is not an automatic no for me.

Reactions: the

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
If it's PLD for Gallagher AND The Donkey I would do that trade.

It's strictly a garbage for garbage trade. Try to salvage whatever you can from both sides.

Reactions: HabzSauce

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
PLD is only 25 so the buyout cap hit is 1/3 instead of 2/3. Could very well happen at this point. If they wait and he still sucks, it becomes 2/3 (26th birthday on June 24)

Reactions: Scintillating10

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I don’t think you want to go down the road about pulling Grant’s hot takes on social media. Because it won’t end well for anyone suggesting he is some kind of savant with insight.

I honestly don’t care who Grant is friends with, hockey is a pretty small world. You don’t have to point out guys he’s associated with before, I’ve read his own posts on this site, I’ve read his social media stuff. He’s not an intelligent man, and I don’t regard his hockey insights as anything special above the average layman.

He’s not within three area codes of Hughes in the IQ department and has zero knowledge of the inner workings of upper management.
I think you're crazy if you think intelligence or personality actually matters when it comes to knowing who the Habs will pick or what they will do. He watches infinitely more hockey than you or I do. He has way more conversations with NHL scouts than you or I do.

Clearly, his reasoning skills are okay as he has predicted every Habs pick for the past 10 years.

If he dropped a smug bomb about what the Habs planned to do at the draft 2 years ago, during an interview with the Habs #1 prospect, he is one person I would be inclined to believe.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
It won't derail the rebuild that greatly but it could cause cap issues maybe. All I am saying is there is a chance he is happy in Montreal and MSL utilizes him well in a top 6 mix. We do have anchor contracts but they last 3 years. Dubois is for 7 and 4 more on top of the 3 for Gallagher and Anderson.
The last 4 years of PLD's contract is when the Habs' window will presumably be open. It's pretty important to not have cap issues during that period.
I just don't see Dubois remaining at the low level of play if he was in a top 6 mix with talent. I stand firm on that.
Like somebody else mentioned, being demoted to the 3rd line is PLD's own doing. Teammates were starting to get frustated with his level of play and the opportunities he was still given to play on the top 6. It created a big distraction and drama on the team.
One way or another, this young Habs core needs to add players with size/skating and players who can chip in with goals. Our team will be exciting to watch but if we don't have the right size mixed in, we are going nowhere in the playoffs. Reality. Dach and Slaf up front is not enough.
I agree the Habs need size and he could be a good fit with Dach, depending on his level of play.
Inquiring on Anchor contract for anchor contracts in Dubois trade talks is not an automatic no for me.
I really don't see the Kings doing this anyway. I think they care much more about the present than 3 years from now.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The last 4 years of PLD's contract is when the Habs' window will presumably be open. It's pretty important to not have cap issues during that period.

Like somebody else mentioned, being demoted to the 3rd line is PLD's own doing. Teammates were starting to get frustated with his level of play and the opportunities he was still given to play on the top 6. It created a big distraction and drama on the team.

I agree the Habs need size and he could be a good fit with Dach, depending on his level of play.

I really don't see the Kings doing this anyway. I think they care much more about the present than 3 years from now.

Lets remember all of these comments (right or wrong). See if Hughes engages and even if he doesn't, what does Dubois do in the next 7 years. Easy to say no today. What I learned is these things are fluid. Opinions change in a heartbeat sometimes.

Would you not like it if Hughes got retention down to $7.5M and also got a 1st for the last 4 years and maybe only Gallagher/Harris goes the other way. I think if Hughes engages and pulls off this trade, it will look something like this.

I enjoy discussing things like this Dubois/Gallagher situation and also looking back later on.

The logical move would be Huberdeau for Dubois straight up (before July 1st)... Dubois's NMC kicks in July 1st. Huberdeau probably waives his NMC but after July 1st, doubt Dubois waives to Calgary. However, Kings may want the Flames to retain on Huberdeau. $8.5M vs $10.5M and both have 7 years left.

Kings will try very hard to move Dubois before July 1st IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: the

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I don’t really like Gallagher anymore but at least he tries every game. PLD can’t even be bothered to put in an effort. No thanks. Unless they eat $2m and take Anderson, they can keep their headache

But again, why retain when they can just buy him out for less.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I don’t really like Gallagher anymore but at least he tries every game. PLD can’t even be bothered to put in an effort. No thanks. Unless they eat $2m and take Anderson, they can keep their headache

But again, why retain when they can just buy him out for less.
A buyout will remain on their salary cap for 14 years. Retention will only last for half that. Of course, the downside is that it will eat up one of their allowed 3 retention spots for 7 years.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A buyout will remain on their salary cap for 14 years. Retention will only last for half that. Of course, the downside is that it will eat up one of their allowed 3 retention spots for 7 years.
But 9 of those 14 years it will just be around ~1m cap hit. With the cap continuously going up, it likely won’t be an issue.

I still think they keep him but if they wait another year, it might get a lot more expensive for them.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
Lets remember all of these comments (right or wrong). See if Hughes engages and even if he doesn't, what does Dubois do in the next 7 years. Easy to say no today. What I learned is these things are fluid. Opinions change in a heartbeat sometimes.

Would you not like it if Hughes got retention down to $7.5M and also got a 1st for the last 4 years and maybe only Gallagher/Harris goes the other way. I think if Hughes engages and pulls off this trade, it will look something like this.

I enjoy discussing things like this Dubois/Gallagher situation and also looking back later on.

The logical move would be Huberdeau for Dubois straight up (before July 1st)... Dubois's NMC kicks in July 1st. Huberdeau probably waives his NMC but after July 1st, doubt Dubois waives to Calgary. However, Kings may want the Flames to retain on Huberdeau. $8.5M vs $10.5M and both have 7 years left.

Kings will try very hard to move Dubois before July 1st IMO.

As much as he played bad, this would be a massive mistake on their part. Is value is shot, they will need to pay someone to take on that contract. If another team is ready to pick him up without the Kings sending something along, then yeah ok. but that is highly improbable.

Kings have a aging group. Kopitar is up there, Danault is not spring chicken either. Making sure they can reset Dubois should be their focus this Summer. I believe that he was miss use early in the season, which affected him. Should that be a season long problem? no, but I think it did became one. There is nothing to lose by trying to help him be better next season for that team.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As much as he played bad, this would be a massive mistake on their part. Is value is shot, they will need to pay someone to take on that contract. If another team is ready to pick him up without the Kings sending something along, then yeah ok. but that is highly improbable.

Kings have a aging group. Kopitar is up there, Danault is not spring chicken either. Making sure they can reset Dubois should be their focus this Summer. I believe that he was miss use early in the season, which affected him. Should that be a season long problem? no, but I think it did became one. There is nothing to lose by trying to help him be better next season for that team.

I think they will try to move Dubois before his NMC kicks in July 1st. Difficult but maybe Huberdeau/Dubois flip works. After July 1st, doubt Dubois waives to the Flames.

If I was to bet, I would bet on what you said. Kings stay put and manage Dubois better.

If anyone wants to bring back Monahan after his playoff performance, they are on crack. Love the guy but there is zero reason to bring him back.

lol. They were facing the Avs bud and the top stars on the Jets didn't produce.

Bringing back Monahan on a value contract does help the Habs. It's not easy to find a big body like that and the Habs need grit. Monahan should not be be your 2nd line center in the playoffs. That's the part you are missing.

• Haha
Reactions: The Great Weal

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020
I think they will try to move Dubois before his NMC kicks in July 1st. Difficult but maybe Huberdeau/Dubois flip works. After July 1st, doubt Dubois waives to the Flames.

If I was to bet, I would bet on what you said. Kings stay put and manage Dubois better.

You got a point about his NMC, but at the same time, would CAL take a guy that already asked twice to be traded out of a small market? Oddly enough, I think that the only place it would make sense for him to be traded is MTL, but at that cap hit/yrs left and level of play, this is a non-starter for MTL.

I still have to romantic notion that PLD could be this top6 bog body offensive machine, but realistically, this has a low level of happening. He's no longer a project, he' a guy looking for a redemption arc, and I just dont know if he's serious and committed to achieve that.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
lol. They were facing the Avs bud and the top stars on the Jets didn't produce.

Bringing back Monahan on a value contract does help the Habs. It's not easy to find a big body like that and the Habs need grit. Monahan should not be be your 2nd line center in the playoffs. That's the part you are missing.
Lol at Monahan bringing "grit", guy is soft as baby shit and his below average skating is not suited for a team wanting to go far in the playoffs. He's got 4 5v5 points in 35 playoff games. That's the part you are missing bud.

Let's not forget you saying that Monahan brings more physicality than Marchessault, it's clearly showing in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad