Votes: 41 27.5%
  • Awful and I spend less on the team because of him

Votes: 87 58.4%

• Total voters

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Happens all the time in pro sports - like all the time.

The Montreal Expo's Washington Nationals and Anaheim Los Angeles Angels in the MLB.

The Oakland Las Vegas Raiders, the San Diego Los Angeles Chargers, Houston Oilers Tennessee Titans in the NFL.

The Vancouver Memphis Grizzlies, Seattle Supersonics OKC Thunder in the NBA.

The Atlanta Thrashers Winnipeg Jets or the Hartford Whalers Carolina Hurricanes in the NHL.

See a pattern?

Yes. The pattern is obvious.

None of them SUCCESSFULLY generated revenue from their customer base by making the "buy my product or else" threat. Which is what I was asking in the first place.

Key word: "successfully".

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

The Montreal Expo's Washington Nationals and Anaheim Los Angeles Angels in the MLB.

The Oakland Las Vegas Raiders, the San Diego Los Angeles Chargers, Houston Oilers Tennessee Titans in the NFL.

The Atlanta Thrashers Winnipeg Jets or the Hartford Whalers Carolina Hurricanes in the NHL.

See a pattern? Each on of these franchises had declining attendance and revenue, made the media aware, and either sold and moved or just moved.

You don't think Pierre Karl Pellideua isn't watching this with glee? He HAS a new arena, he HAS the money. Quebec City is a viable option. The Board of Goveners would approve it unanimously. You're not taking a franchise away from America.

If Phoenix isn't fixed, we're doomed.And all those people who want Melnyk to sell. Politely be quiet.

You think new ownership would keep this team here? No. Absolutely not. It costs too much as it stands for Eugene to move for at least another three to five years.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

yes pro sports use the buy or else all the time. all the big sports do

PKP though is not a threat. The NHL is full of rationale businessmen. Do you think they have any interest in partnering with a guy whose political interest is breaking up Canada?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

None of them SUCCESSFULLY generated revenue from their customer base by making the "buy my product or else" threat. Which is what I was asking in the first place.

come on Bonk....attendance in pro sports is cyclical...that particular threat has been used overy and over the past 40 years since pro athlete salaries went insane. Lots of moving franchises. Many more I'm sure where that threat was on the table and things picked up. I couldn' be bothered to look it up but it happens.

And please don't take that as me condoning what Melnyk did.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

I feel like it all depends on your definition of successfully. Each end scenario increased the owners or shareholders net worth (relocation).

Eugene and his sabre rattling are embarrassing annually yes, but we have to be better fans and not instantly lash back to add gasoline to the fire. It's madness and a road we don't want to go down - and this is how it starts.

Reactions: coladin

asw

Mar 16, 2013
Here and There
Melnyk saved the team in Ottawa by essentially acquiring it out of bankruptcy. That's where the positives stop.

He's proven to be a meddlesome, penny-pinching tightwad who interferes needlessly in hockey operations, has extremely poor judgement in terms of public pronouncements, whines constantly about all manner of issues surrounding the team, alienates valuable players, has created an atmosphere of fear and distrust in the organization generally and doesn't seem to care what the fans think.

He endorses the NHL "security" checks before games, thereby leaving loyal fans literally out in the cold for half an hour before game time, he provides extremely mediocre entertainment for fans between periods ( e.g. the famous skating Prime Ministers, need I say more?) and refuses to spend a dime on providing better parking lot exits for fans who spend up to $30 on parking per game. And, of course, his penny-pinching on the player salary side is well known. The whole thing reeks of a cheap and third rate organization.

If he wonders why fewer people are coming to Sens games, he should look at himself in the mirror far more often.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
yes pro sports use the buy or else all the time. all the big sports do

PKP though is not a threat. The NHL is full of rationale businessmen. Do you think they have any interest in partnering with a guy whose political interest is breaking up Canada?

PKP has stepped back from his political agenda, but if it's not him it's another ownership group or a conglomeration that will see the long term net worth and revenue of buying low and selling high on a pro sports team.

Seattle, OKC, KC, Hartford, Cincinnati, Portland, Houston.

These are all viable options. I lost my football, basketball and baseball teams to relocation and I'll be darned if I lose my hockey team

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He endorses the NHL "security" checks before games, thereby leaving loyal fans literally out in the cold for half an hour before game time, he provides extremely mediocre entertainment for fans between periods ( e.g. the famous skating Prime Ministers, need I say more?) and refuses to spend a dime on providing better parking lot exits for fans who spend up to $30 on parking per game. And, of course, his penny-pinching on the player salary side is well known. The whole thing reeks of a cheap and third rate organization.

If he wonders why fewer people are coming to Sens games, he should look at himself in the mirror far more often.

I've never understood this point of view. I'm from a series of small towns where the best you get if CHA hockey. I've never even been to an NHL game (or played a actual game of hockey, another story all together).

And every game I've been to at that level it's a T-shirt cannon, shot from center ice and zambonie. We pay $15-20 for the best parking at the WHL games.

Kids have iPhones now. Like I know things could be better, but really, I've only ever been concerned about the product on the ice.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I sure hope you're still gonna be around here when the sale happens. He isnt selling low the franchise has appreciated over 300 million since he orginally purchased.

Do you expect EM to forgo his $21 million US dollar share of the Seattle expansion fee in the very near future?

Would you sell your house, if you knew there was a HUGE $21 million windfall guaranteed in a couple of years?

I think not.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Do you expect EM to forgo his $21 million US dollar share of the Seattle expansion fee in the very near future?

Would you sell your house, if you knew there was a HUGE $21 million windfall guaranteed in a couple of years?

I think not.
You are clearly not understanding the situation.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

See a pattern? Each on of these franchises had declining attendance and revenue, made the media aware, and either sold and moved or just moved.

You don't think Pierre Karl Pellideua isn't watching this with glee? He HAS a new arena, he HAS the money. Quebec City is a viable option. The Board of Goveners would approve it unanimously. You're not taking a franchise away from America.

If Phoenix isn't fixed, we're doomed.And all those people who want Melnyk to sell. Politely be quiet.

You think new ownership would keep this team here? No. Absolutely not. It costs too much as it stands for Eugene to move for at least another three to five years.

The devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

What a garbage post. There are multiple ownership groups that will keep the franchise here and its still currently making money. The motivation to buy the team is Lebreton Flats its a real estate deal. Nothing worse than a moronic comment thinking Quebec is a better market. Half the population, average dual home income 30 k lower, less private money too. Quebec is a government town, or have you really done that little research before making an effort like this.

Ottawa is the 4th biggest market in Canada, the 3rd fastest growing city in canada the highest dual home income and the capital. But you think that the board of governers will approve it unanimously. Good grief get a grip.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think not.
Why would he forgo that when he can just include it in the conversation when negotiating a sale price? If it's a guaranteed windfall, any potential buyer will be willing to pay extra knowing it's coming

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What a garbage post.

imo in part the reason this board is the way it is - which is over run with negativity - is because language like this is allowed to stand.

there doesn't appear to be a limit on the negativity and the language used to express it on this board. it's all good. it's all allowed to stand.

I've twice in the past two weeks challenged extreme negativity and blatant speculation / bs without resorting to extreme language and the posts, along with what I responded to were removed. But the original posts would have been fine without being challenged.

So Bert I'm not calling out your post and the points you made. Just pointing out the irony.

And for those with the capability. ... feel free to delete this

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Nice article in Sportsnet that doesn't dump on Ottawa fans.
It s a miracle!

Senators' Karlsson dedicates Superman performance to Ottawa fans - Sportsnet.ca

lol this is the exact opposite type of PR strategy to the one employed by Melnyk.

I mean this is always how it is, the players are the connection of the team to the community, but man alive, if I was cynical I'd say he's killing the PR battle.

As it stands, I believe him, he genuinely likes it here and he loves to play hockey.

I'm also curious if he found out he was having a son before the 100 Classic, because the type of performance we saw and the happiness could easily have come from that. I'd get that 100%. Flying high.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Coming in peace because I have a distaste for bad owners. We have had our fair share in Toronto. The thing I don't understand is his unwillingness to put the few extra dollars down when your team is clearly able to compete. That and the very questionable moves and outbursts that alienate fans.

He sounds like a softer version of Ballard.

Look at how exciting NSH makes hockey and really all they have done is craft a culture around the team brilliantly, custom chants, graphics and endorsements. The guy could raise ticket prices a little and offer cheap parking. People hate paying 30 for parking, your owner, honestly, he is anti fan.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Coming in peace because I have a distaste for bad owners. We have had our fair share in Toronto. The thing I don't understand is his unwillingness to put the few extra dollars down when your team is clearly able to compete. That and the very questionable moves and outbursts that alienate fans.

He sounds like a softer version of Ballard.

Look at how exciting NSH makes hockey and really all they have done is craft a culture around the team brilliantly, custom chants, graphics and endorsements. The guy could raise ticket prices a little and offer cheap parking. People hate paying 30 for parking, your owner, honestly, he is anti fan.

I agree completely but the downtown venue helps create the culture

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
What a garbage post. There are multiple ownership groups that will keep the franchise here and its still currently making money. The motivation to buy the team is Lebreton Flats its a real estate deal. Nothing worse than a moronic comment thinking Quebec is a better market. Half the population, average dual home income 30 k lower, less private money too. Quebec is a government town, or have you really done that little research before making an effort like this.

Ottawa is the 4th biggest market in Canada, the 3rd fastest growing city in canada the highest dual home income and the capital. But you think that the board of governers will approve it unanimously. Good grief get a grip.

The sens will make profit in Ottawa for years to come - would see a larger increase in attendance from a downtown market, but... Does that matter? No.

This is pro sports, rationale can be thrown out the window. Ego clouds decision making - generals surrounded by yes men.

There's a group in QC that want a hockey team. They want to fill their new arena. There are groups in KC and Seattle that have said they want a hockey team.

The whole point of this was to debate wether or not EM is a good owner. Well he's not the worst, but he's bad. So when people wish he'd sell I shake my head.

There's always a way to make more money somewhere else. The board of governors would approve anything that makes them richer.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There's always a way to make more money somewhere else. The board of governors would approve anything that makes them richer.

Yes, but they would prefer to leave an established team, in it's market, and bring in the expansion fees ($650 million for Seattle).......... so they've made it much more difficult, than in the past, for teams to re-locate.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
imo in part the reason this board is the way it is - which is over run with negativity - is because language like this is allowed to stand.

there doesn't appear to be a limit on the negativity and the language used to express it on this board. it's all good. it's all allowed to stand.

You're kidding right? Do you know how many times I've been put in the penalty box here?

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I think Melnyk would be a better owner if he was doing better financially. He is acting like someone in distress. Cutting management to the bone, keeping the low budget etc. He does seem passionate about owning the hockey team. However, he really needs to hire a publicist to manage his public image and stop making rash off-the-cuff remarks.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The sens will make profit in Ottawa for years to come - would see a larger increase in attendance from a downtown market, but... Does that matter? No.

This is pro sports, rationale can be thrown out the window. Ego clouds decision making - generals surrounded by yes men.

There's a group in QC that want a hockey team. They want to fill their new arena. There are groups in KC and Seattle that have said they want a hockey team.

The whole point of this was to debate wether or not EM is a good owner. Well he's not the worst, but he's bad. So when people wish he'd sell I shake my head.

Why spend a fortune to buy the Sens, when you could buy the Panthers waaay cheaper? And the BOG would be much more likely to allow the Panthers to move than the Senators.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I've twice in the past two weeks challenged extreme negativity and blatant speculation / bs without resorting to extreme language and the posts, along with what I responded to were removed. But the original posts would have been fine without being challenged.

So Bert I'm not calling out your post and the points you made. Just pointing out the irony.

And for those with the capability. ... feel free to delete this

If it makes you feel better, I've been hit with the ban hammer plenty of times, and had plenty of my posts deleted. As for whatever post you had made which disappeared...I don't know what to tell ya, I didn't see it.

We're all passionate about the Sens here, and I do believe we have a good group of mods who understand that things get a little heated. In the end, we're all on the same side.....we just have differences on what we see from our unique angles. Don't take this place too seriously or let anyone here get you down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad