Is Anders Lee this good?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I don't watch a lot of him... is Johan Franzen a good comparison?

Based on size and style there is a comparison but Anders has 100 goals in his first 288 NHL games played entering the league from college at 22 and Franzen took 332 games to hit that mark entering the league at 25 after 4 professionals seasons in the SEL. Hard to know how Lee will hold up long term but he certainly seems to be getting better and better at this stage and not worse.

Reactions: Bretzky

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's basically this generations version of Dave Andreychuk (clearly a better skater though) at the moment. He's not a top player in the league, but the guy can finish and is highly effective in his role.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He's basically this generations version of Dave Andreychuk (clearly a better skater though) at the moment. He's not a top player in the league, but the guy can finish and is highly effective in his role.

I like Tim Kerr as a comparison point but Andreychuk works as well

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Who's calling it flukey? Guy has hands of absolute gold in front of the net, I'd do dirty things to have a guy like that with Kopitar

My flukey comment was in response to this post

Standing in front of the net and having pucks bounce off your skate, your butt, or another part of your body does not qualify as skill in my eyes. Oh yea! He does knock in a rebound from time to time!

He is a strong and tough player, but skilled he is not. His line mates make him. He just reaps the rewards.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know what exactly "this good" means, but Lee is a very good player. I wouldn't want him as the best player on his line, but he is a great complement for a number one scoring line.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
as long as Tavares is getting the assists, I am not sure he is caring all to much

It's sort of funny for the amount of goals Lee has, Tavares doesn't have many primary assists on them(although he does have many secondary ones).

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Love this guy's game, just not tonight :sarcasm:

Who's calling it flukey? Guy has hands of absolute gold in front of the net, I'd do dirty things to have a guy like that with Kopitar

The best part about his game is he can succeed on any scoring line. Just get guys that can pass and put the puck on net and he will clean up.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
It's sort of funny for the amount of goals Lee has, Tavares doesn't have many primary assists on them(although he does have many secondary ones).

This primary assist thing has to go. Not picking on you because I'm seeing it everywhere now, but why did this become a thing? I guess just because it can be quantified.

The reason that secondary assists started being counted is because they are so crucial to setting up scoring plays. Now we want to credit them less? Sure, Barzal makes a sick pass on the 2 on 1 to end the game, which is a good example of needing a skill player to make the primary assist. But Barzal enters the zone cleanly and dishes to Bailey perfectly and doesn't even get an assist on the tying goal.

A lot of times the guy who enters the zone and controls play will make the 1st crucial pass which then connects to the 2nd pass or ends up as a shot on net for a rebound. Why discredit this? Tavares makes a ton of necessary plays and opens up a lot of ice for Lee to do what he does.

Reactions: Dr Acula

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This primary assist thing has to go. Not picking on you because I'm seeing it everywhere now, but why did this become a thing? I guess just because it can be quantified.

The reason that secondary assists started being counted is because they are so crucial to setting up scoring plays. Now we want to credit them less? Sure, Barzal makes a sick pass on the 2 on 1 to end the game, which is a good example of needing a skill player to make the primary assist. But Barzal enters the zone cleanly and dishes to Bailey perfectly and doesn't even get an assist on the tying goal.

A lot of times the guy who enters the zone and controls play will make the 1st crucial pass which then connects to the 2nd pass or ends up as a shot on net for a rebound. Why discredit this? Tavares makes a ton of necessary plays and opens up a lot of ice for Lee to do what he does.

My comment was nothing to do about the importance of secondary assists, it's more a comment on how we don't get many Tavares to Lee goals(which I am guessing most people would assume the bulk of Lee goals are Tavares to Lee). It's a basic case the way these 2 feed off eachother is they open the ice for the other one to do their thing. It's a reason why Bailey fits perfectly with those 2 because as they open the ice, Bailey's role is to pick one of three options(Try shoot to get a Lee deflection, pass to Tavares or pass to the open Defense)

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
My comment was nothing to do about the importance of secondary assists, it's more a comment on how we don't get many Tavares to Lee goals(which I am guessing most people would assume the bulk of Lee goals are Tavares to Lee). It's a basic case the way these 2 feed off eachother is they open the ice for the other one to do their thing. It's a reason why Bailey fits perfectly with those 2 because as they open the ice, Bailey's role is to pick one of three options(Try shoot to get a Lee deflection, pass to Tavares or pass to the open Defense)
But it raised an interesting question. A probability of a goal is basically a probability of 2 good passes and 1 good shot in a row. Taking into account that probabilities should be multiplied, one can say that a secondary assist is not as important as a first one. While a first assist is not as important as a shot itself. So it is unfair actually to give the same amount of points to each guy who took part in a combination. Shooter basically should have 3 points, primary guy - 2 and secondary - 1 point, for example.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
But it raised an interesting question. A probability of a goal is basically a probability of 2 good passes and 1 good shot in a row. Taking into account that probabilities should be multiplied, one can say that a secondary assist is not as important as a first one. While a first assist is not as important as a shot itself. So it is unfair actually to give the same amount of points to each guy who took part in a combination. Shooter basically should have 3 points, primary guy - 2 and secondary - 1 point, for example.

I disagree, many times the guy who makes the secondary assist draws all the attention on the ice to them which opens the ice for the other 2 guys on the goal(which one can argue happens with many Lee goals when Tavares is on the ice even if Tavares gets a secondary assist or not even a point at all)

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
That's not how probability works

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad