Is Anders Lee this good?

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
not trying to be a dick, but what youre describing in your previous post is chance, not hockey
My lucky day, I have another "the Earth is flat" comment. Man, everything you do can be described with probability of success of failure. You have a chance to succeed/fail even simply posting on this forum. Taking into account your last comment, for example, I'd say the probability of failure is much higher. And in case if you missed it, all sports are so based on "chance", that people are even making bets on the outcome of games, results, etc.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
20 goals before xmas.

2nd most goals in the 2017 calendar year, and not even on the all star ballot.

Most underrated by far.

Last edited:
Reactions: SI90

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Lee is a hard worker with good eye hand co-ordination that he probably got from playing other sports - both American Football and baseball. He also has confidence and willing to improve on other parts of the game. He scored at many levels before entering the NHL but as he was a below average skaters he needed to work on that to make and stay in the NHL. I know this because I tweeted to him in the summer right at after he signed with the Isles to do anything to make to NHL and he liked my tweet. Next year he worked hard in AHL & eventually got a call up.

If you ever watched a goofy kind of video he made when he was younger about himself being good at 3 different sports, you got the feeling that he real loves sports and has a lot of confidence in his ability. When he was in high school he had to play both sports in the same week and somehow was able to manage both while getting decent grades so you can tell about his work ethics. I watched a lot of his high school football highlights as well and got a hunch that he will be able to make to the NHL one day, but yes I am surprised that he will be this good so soon.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Sure man, whatever you want. The Earth is certainly flat. And education is overrated Probability
Dude everyone here knows what probability is and knows it's a real thing. I was referring to this post:
Taking into account that probabilities should be multiplied, one can say that a secondary assist is not as important as a first one. While a first assist is not as important as a shot itself. So it is unfair actually to give the same amount of points to each guy who took part in a combination. Shooter basically should have 3 points, primary guy - 2 and secondary - 1 point, for example.
which is just not how probability works. Maybe you should focus more on passing your 9th grade math class rather than trying to insult people on the internet, Einstein.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
At this point, you have to start putting him in the "elite complementary player" category with the likes of Kessel and Shattenkirk. Not a guy that is a true franchise player and can carry a team/ line, but a guy that every team needs behind the franchise player(s) to be successful and consistent. For a guy his size, he sure has good hands and you can tell he has worked hard on his skating.

He has to do it for longer though. I mean, a guy like Nyqquist was very hot for a long time, before diminishing in a big way. The many ways Lee can score though makes it more probable his numbers can be more sustainable.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Dude everyone here knows what probability is and knows it's a real thing. which is just not how probability works. Maybe you should focus more on passing your 9th grade math class rather than trying to insult people on the internet, Einstein.

You see dude, it was not actually me who insulted you. It was you who insulted yourself with a low level of education. So, instead of wasting your time on another "the earth is flat" comment you should have actually read the article or simply asked your school teacher how it works.

Taking into account that it looks like reading is too complicated, I found a nice educational video for you.

Last edited:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
But it raised an interesting question. A probability of a goal is basically a probability of 2 good passes and 1 good shot in a row. Taking into account that probabilities should be multiplied, one can say that a secondary assist is not as important as a first one. While a first assist is not as important as a shot itself. So it is unfair actually to give the same amount of points to each guy who took part in a combination. Shooter basically should have 3 points, primary guy - 2 and secondary - 1 point, for example.
You gave no reasoning why a secondary assist is worthlesd than a primary one. Beforeyou accuse me of bad education, i studied physics. Basically your mathematic reasoning is non-existent.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
You gave no reasoning why a secondary assist is worse than a primary one.
Physics you say. Take two friends. Give them flashlights. Put them 1 meter and 10 meters away from you. Ask them to turn on the flashlights and set the light against your eyes. So the question is which friend will be more annoying to your eyes? I am sure you know the right answer. The same answer with the 1st and 2nd passes.

Last edited:

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
You see dude, it was not actually me who insulted you. It was you who insulted yourself with a low level of education. So, instead of wasting your time on another "the earth is flat" comment you should have actually read the article or simply asked your school teacher how it works.

Taking into account that it looks like reading is too complicated, I found a nice educational video for you.

For f***s sakes I know you multiply probabilities. That doesn't mean that the first event is worth less somehow than the last one though.

Physics you say. Take two friends. Give them flashlights. Put them 1 meters and 10 meters away from you. Ask them to turn on the flashlights and set the light against your eyes. So the question is which friend will be more annoying to your eyes? I am sure you know the right answer. The same answer with the 1st and 2nd passes.
And Jesus f***ing Christ this^ isn't probability. Just please stop posting and embarrassing yourself.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
For ****s sakes I know you multiply probabilities. That doesn't mean that the first event is worth less somehow than the last one though. And Jesus ****ing Christ this^ isn't probability. Just please stop posting and embarrassing yourself.

Sure you know it. Now. After I caught you twice on the fact that you don't know it. So, the only one who embarrassing yourself here is you. And please do not stop posting. I like to laugh. :popcorn:

Beautvillier

beauvillier fan club
Nov 26, 2016
Florida
My lucky day, I have another "the Earth is flat" comment. Man, everything you do can be described with probability of success of failure. You have a chance to succeed/fail even simply posting on this forum. Taking into account your last comment, for example, I'd say the probability of failure is much higher. And in case if you missed it, all sports are so based on "chance", that people are even making bets on the outcome of games, results, etc.
the earth is flat

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Physics you say. Take two friends. Give them flashlights. Put them 1 meter and 10 meters away from you. Ask them to turn on the flashlights and set the light against your eyes. So the question is which friend will be more annoying to your eyes? I am sure you know the right answer. The same answer with the 1st and 2nd passes.
I guess the closer one is. But this isnt exactly what i learned in my uni.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
At this point, you have to start putting him in the "elite complementary player" category with the likes of Kessel and Shattenkirk. Not a guy that is a true franchise player and can carry a team/ line, but a guy that every team needs behind the franchise player(s) to be successful and consistent. For a guy his size, he sure has good hands and you can tell he has worked hard on his skating.

NYI fan - the comparison to Kessel is incorrect. I've seen Kessel take over more big games in the playoffs *and* the Olympics to put Anders Lee in his category. I think this is a bit of a perfect storm for him. In the past, defenders have focused on playing his stick, because he's bigger and stronger than they are. The focus on slashes have taken a lot of that away. And, yeah, he's obviously got great hands. Unfortunately, I think everyone expects enforcement will change in the playoffs, and defenders will get away with all of that stuff again. So, Lee won't be as effective.

Lee's production also needs to be put in context. Matt Moulson had 3 30 goal years playing much the same way. Moulson's success wasn't sustainable not because of his skills and style of play, but because he consistently got the crap knocked out of him in the crease, and a player his size can only take that for so long without wearing out.

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
NYI fan - the comparison to Kessel is incorrect. I've seen Kessel take over more big games in the playoffs *and* the Olympics to put Anders Lee in his category. I think this is a bit of a perfect storm for him. In the past, defenders have focused on playing his stick, because he's bigger and stronger than they are. The focus on slashes have taken a lot of that away. And, yeah, he's obviously got great hands. Unfortunately, I think everyone expects enforcement will change in the playoffs, and defenders will get away with all of that stuff again. So, Lee won't be as effective.

Lee's production also needs to be put in context. Matt Moulson had 3 30 goal years playing much the same way. Moulson's success wasn't sustainable not because of his skills and style of play, but because he consistently got the crap knocked out of him in the crease, and a player his size can only take that for so long without wearing out.
Moulson was also a terrible skater, something Lee has continued to get better at. Even if Moulson didn't wear down, the game got too fast for him. That won't happen with Lee.

Reactions: sebsisles

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Moulson was also a terrible skater, something Lee has continued to get better at. Even if Moulson didn't wear down, the game got too fast for him. That won't happen with Lee.

Maybe. Moulson couldn't retrieve the puck in the corners which is something Lee is good at. I was mostly talking about the net-front scoring and how sustainable that is.

The way the rules are being enforced is in Lee's favor. I have no doubt that's a major contributing factor in his increased scoring pace this year. And, frankly, a Matt Moulson who wasn't gimped by 800 too many cross checks would score 40 goals in this NHL even skating how he did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad