Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
... bloody hell, does anyone here like anything at all that happened over the past two days? Hate all the draft picks, hate the trades (or lack thereof), hate our future chances, hate the shoulder patches, hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate. It's all the posts I can see anywhere. Hate hate hate whine whimper hate.

You'd think we'd just dumped Johansen for magic beans with the attitude we've got here. :shakehead

Cheer the **** up, people! Sheesh!

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Small minority of happy folks

I like that we got some pretty good draft picks.. sorry we missed on Dougie Hamilton, I had no idea he would really be traded for picks. I am certainly glad that we haven't traded a hand full of our forward prospects before we even end up knowing how good they really can be.

Bittner Ryjo Bkjork seems like the type thing they someday write movies about... hope they help carry the team to some successful years together

I could care less about the patches on the uniform, really only care about winning.

Closet Hawks fan, so that part of my sport psyche is doing ok

The Wheelchair

Jun 13, 2015
Ottawa
Man I never knew people actually liked the C flag logo. I hate the forced perspective; I'd much rather have a logo that's straight-on. It also looks very generic: apart from the Ohio state flag, it could be any logo in the league. It looks like something someone came up with in the mid-2000s just by jumping on whatever design trends were hot at the time.

That said, I love the Ohio flag, and being from Maryland originally, I think there's a ton of value in incorporating an awesome-looking flag. I just think that forcing it into a C shape kind of diminishes its uniqueness. I think I'd rather have the cannon logo as the main sweater logo and the Ohio flag as the crest.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
... bloody hell, does anyone here like anything at all that happened over the past two days? Hate all the draft picks, hate the trades (or lack thereof), hate our future chances, hate the shoulder patches, hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate. It's all the posts I can see anywhere. Hate hate hate whine whimper hate.

Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you.

Scouting staff has done good job with their list... more convincing performance than the highly rated 2013 draft.

The ultimate quest of replacing Nikita Nikitin will have to hold on. Is it then two or three months before even the ridiculously short and unprofessional training camp phase begins. Some summer still left.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site

Scouting staff has done good job with their list... more convincing performance than the highly rated 2013 draft.

The ultimate quest of replacing Nikita Nikitin will have to hold on. Is it then two or three months before even the ridiculously short and unprofessional training camp phase begins. Some summer still left.

Jo Ann is a woman/girl first of all :laugh:, next replacing Nikita Nikitin?? Is it 2012?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

The ultimate quest of replacing Nikita Nikitin will have to hold on. Is it then two or three months before even the ridiculously short and unprofessional training camp phase begins. Some summer still left.[/QUOTE]

While having nothing to do with the point you were trying to make, the training camp/pre-season in the NHL has always bugged me. It just seems to dang short. Not sure about NBA but other sports have longer camp time before exhibitions start. What does the NHL have 3 or 4 days? I'd like to see at least 2 weeks.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
The new shoulder patch sucks more than an F5 tornado. They took the league's best looking jersey and tweaked it probably in the hopes of selling merchandise.

The circular patch looks like it should be on the shoulder/sleeve of a police uniform. Give me back the hat.

e- I just realized it might be because it's too white. The hat logo was darker and seemed to fit better.

Last edited:

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
The new shoulder patch sucks more than an F5 tornado. They took the league's best looking jersey and tweaked it probably in the hopes of selling merchandise.

The circular patch looks like it should be on the shoulder/sleeve of a police uniform. Give me back the hat.

e- I just realized it might be because it's too white. The hat logo was darker and seemed to fit better.

The more I look at it the more I'm starting to sour on it. Just looks weird and out of place.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Have to agree. The patches look weird on the jersey. The patch itself is alright, they just don't look good with the jersey.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Jo Ann is a woman/girl first of all :laugh:

:amazed:

Yeah, learned it early this week (on these forums)... Juha Mieto must have felt time same way when he was skiing at Lake Placid's 1980 Olympics.

Jo Ann is by the way a cool name.

Speaking of names newly CBJ drafted Veeti Vainio is part of the wild bunch that got their first name inspired by Veeti & the Velvets lead singer Veeti Kallio who was also later on Leningrad Cowboys and Veeti & and the Helvets.

Before Veeti's rise to national fame and becoming a popular name there were 21 registered Veeti's in Finland. Now there are thousands and in 2005 it was even the most popular name given to boy childs.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Nobody asked me, but here's what I'd do. Each player would get a different should patch. Use the state of Ohio in red with a large white star where one city is located. Do this for the 20 most populous cities in Ohio.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Nobody asked me, but here's what I'd do. Each player would get a different should patch. Use the state of Ohio in red with a large white star where one city is located. Do this for the 20 most populous cities in Ohio.

cbj-alt-shoulderpatch-marietta.png

I would just go back to the Stinger patches.

There. I said it.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

What would you do after a goal was scored and you were sitting by the bench rink side?

You'd be seeing stars when they went to get daps at the bench

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
What would you do after a goal was scored and you were sitting by the bench rink side?

You'd be seeing stars when they went to get daps at the bench

Interesting, what I'm starting to see, really over the last 8 years, is a chance to include the whole of Ohio within the Jackets. There are markets that are available to grab.... Dayton, Cincy can be had with hard work. Jackets are making in roads in Cleveland, despite that the fans up there still rooting for other teams, they have a chance, with hard work and winning, to turn Cleveland to be a CBJ town when talking NHL. The Youngstown area is probably a lost cause, too many pens fans and Toledo is maybe a lost cause as many of them still think they already live in Michigan.

I'm not talking about coloring this state union blue, but I am saying, grown those outposts of fans. I truly am starting to wonder if in 10 or 15 years, if the success doesn't happen on the ice, maybe the team name changes to Ohio Bluejackets to encompass more people, feel more pride maybe to support the product, not that the team doesn't have loyal fans in some of the aforementioned areas now, but it would, in name at least, be Ohio's NHL team

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'm not talking about coloring this state union blue, but I am saying, grown those outposts of fans. I truly am starting to wonder if in 10 or 15 years, if the success doesn't happen on the ice, maybe the team name changes to Ohio Bluejackets to encompass more people, feel more pride maybe to support the product, not that the team doesn't have loyal fans in some of the aforementioned areas now, but it would, in name at least, be Ohio's NHL team

I seriously hope not. Columbus already has to fight for national recognition/relevance and this would kill it. Not to mention the national view of "Ohio" as a whole isn't exactly positive.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
The problem with the patch is the fact that it takes up much less space then the previous one so it looks super awkward and out of place.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Man I never knew people actually liked the C flag logo. I hate the forced perspective; I'd much rather have a logo that's straight-on. It also looks very generic: apart from the Ohio state flag, it could be any logo in the league. It looks like something someone came up with in the mid-2000s just by jumping on whatever design trends were hot at the time.

That said, I love the Ohio flag, and being from Maryland originally, I think there's a ton of value in incorporating an awesome-looking flag. I just think that forcing it into a C shape kind of diminishes its uniqueness. I think I'd rather have the cannon logo as the main sweater logo and the Ohio flag as the crest.

This is generally how I feel. I'm indifferent on the use of the state flag one way or another, not a big flag person, but that C logo to me looks quite generic. I'm also not a big fan of "hiding" an element that later turns out to be something, like the arrow in FedEx or in this case the C in the flag. Too clever/gimmicky.

I wouldn't at all mind the cannon becoming the primary logo, and the hat as the shoulder patch.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I don't think you can have different logos on the shoulders for each player.

Are you sure? If you have different numbers and names why couldn't the patches be different? Heck for that matter, a different one on each shoulder could expand the list to 46 cities.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
I didn't even know the uni's had patches. I still don't care. I like the current logo. And I think it needs to be 23 most populous cities. Guys like Bourque will feel bad if they have to share Newark with 2 others. Besides Mentor, Cleveland Heights and Beavercreek deserve their own stars. I guess callups will all have to share Strongsville.

http://www.togetherweteach.com/TWTIC/uscityinfo/35oh/ohpopr/35ohpr.htm

That would actually be appropriate, as the Monsters practice facility is there.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Interesting, what I'm starting to see, really over the last 8 years, is a chance to include the whole of Ohio within the Jackets. There are markets that are available to grab.... Dayton, Cincy can be had with hard work. Jackets are making in roads in Cleveland, despite that the fans up there still rooting for other teams, they have a chance, with hard work and winning, to turn Cleveland to be a CBJ town when talking NHL. The Youngstown area is probably a lost cause, too many pens fans and Toledo is maybe a lost cause as many of them still think they already live in Michigan.

I absolutely agree on the basic point that the Jackets need to strengthen their brand state wide. I don't know if the name change would work. There is some precedent to doing what you've suggested.

I'm aware of at least two teams which have changed their names to a reflect a state-wide identity. The Kalamazoo Wings of the now defunct International Hockey League changed to the Michigan Wings and, of course, the recent name change of the Phoenix Coyotes to Arizona. The former didn't work and, in all probability, the latter won't even be in the same location long enough to make a solid judgement on whether it was worthwhile. There may have been other examples in hockey or other sports which aren't coming to me right now. EDIT: One did. The Indianapolis Pacers of the NBA changed their name to the Indiana Pacers. I don't have any idea whether that's moved the needle on the interest in the team.

I do think that having the Jackets AHL affiliate in Cleveland has strong potential to broaden the fan base for the Jackets in the Cleveland area if there is a solid marketing program developed which effectively creates a Monters-Jackets bond. I think that's a very distinct possibility. The Monsters management has done an unbelievable job of resurrecting a dead hockey market and the ownership also owns the Cavaliers so there's already an effective marketing relationship between those two teams.

The Jackets were affiliated with the ECHL Dayton Bombers for a number of years. There used to be Jackets sales reps at many games. That team is long gone, but the Cincinnati Cyclones of the ECHL draw very well and are an affiliate candidate. The Cincinnati area has some Blue Jackets fans, but I can tell you that I've gone to sports bars during Jackets games and more often than not, I've had to ask to have a channel changed to the game, so there's obviously not a strong Jackets presence in the area. That could change with an effective partnership with the Cyclones.

I'd think that strong partnerships with in state affiliates along with an effective marketing program in those areas is the best plan. Changing the name from Columbus would also weaken the brand in the area which will always account for the vast majority of interest in the team. People from the Columbus area would probably resent the switch. I also concur that Toledo is probably a lost cause. There is a long established bond with the Red Wings which will only be changed by the Jackets winning a few Cups combined with the Red Wings falling upon long term hard times.

The ultimate marketing coup would be to win a Stanley Cup. The impact of a Cup win would dwarf the impact of even the most effective marketing program of any type.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad