Interesting Info: Part XVI (All Jackets-related "tidbits" in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
MB, thanks for all the posts they really are entertaining to read.

---------

I think it's really interesting when you look at the players that were exposed and how many were on the back ends of their careers (many 35+ years old) but still played useful roles and meaningful seasons after that draft. It's a statement on how much the game has changed. There really are fewer elder statesmen around these days that can keep up with the frenetic pace of the game (see Tampa play style).

It's a side effect of the salary cap that I predicted some years ago. The stars remain, the rookies remain, the middle class gets squeezed, just like in the NFL.

The advantage is that young players get a longer look early on, so we're seeing a bumper crop of excellent youngsters that's unprecedented in its scope. The other advantage is that there's enough actual established NHL talent still out there that it makes another expansion possible, and gives those teams the chance to be competitive early.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
It's a side effect of the salary cap that I predicted some years ago. The stars remain, the rookies remain, the middle class gets squeezed, just like in the NFL.

The advantage is that young players get a longer look early on, so we're seeing a bumper crop of excellent youngsters that's unprecedented in its scope. The other advantage is that there's enough actual established NHL talent still out there that it makes another expansion possible, and gives those teams the chance to be competitive early.

Great point and yes that usually happens with salary caps, in all leagues I agree 100%!

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
By the way, since it's the offseason and there's not a ton to do between now and next Friday, I'd love to do a simulated re-draft of the 2000 expansion draft.

By "simulated", I mean actually doing it like it's 2000, instead of being able to use hindsight to slot Martin St. Louis to the very top and reject the guys who looked like good picks and didn't amount to anything.

The opposing GM would be responsible for doing their own research, but a list of already-acquired assets would be out there.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
By the way, since it's the offseason and there's not a ton to do between now and next Friday, I'd love to do a simulated re-draft of the 2000 expansion draft.

By "simulated", I mean actually doing it like it's 2000, instead of being able to use hindsight to slot Martin St. Louis to the very top and reject the guys who looked like good picks and didn't amount to anything.

not sure you can do that...you are always going to have the hindsight to fall back on and will cloud your picks

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
not sure you can do that...you are always going to have the hindsight to fall back on and will cloud your picks

The optimal solution is to clone myself.

Pros: we could get a 2000 expansion re-draft done

Cons: there's another me out there somewhere (although this is obviously a big "pro"; I'm simply speaking for everyone else by putting it on the "con" side;))

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The optimal solution is to clone myself.

Pros: we could get a 2000 expansion re-draft done

Cons: there's another me out there somewhere (although this is obviously a big "pro"; I'm simply speaking for everyone else by putting it on the "con" side;))
I'm only in favor of this if I can get more draft tickets from both bees. :)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm only in favor of this if I can get more draft tickets from both bees. :)

Five bees for a quarter wen used to say.

tumblr_n0yarod7AS1racewqo1_500.jpg

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
a year 2000 redraft....something MB will break apart later for all of you ;)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771541

Did I ever tell you how much I hate redrafts with hindsight? It's just asinine. And then it leads to a whole bunch of revisionism, like "My team was picking at #5 and could have taken a guy who went in the 9th round! What was the front office thinking?????". That annoys me greatly.

That and the fact that this particular one is dumb. Klesla was a disappointment who was done by his last year in North America, and Volchenkov was done two years ago, but to have either of those guys out of the top 30 completely to put guys like Travis Moen and Deryk Engelland in is absurd. Vermette ahead of Heatley? Kronwall and Martin ahead of Visnovsky? Gaustad ahead of Stoll? Dan Ellis over Cechmanek? This is just bad.

Plus, Mike Rupp was a 1998 first-rounder who re-entered the draft, and they have him ahead of Raffi Torres anyway. And here I sit, not getting paid to write things while this garbage is what passes for hard-hitting history.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Did I ever tell you how much I hate redrafts with hindsight? It's just asinine. And then it leads to a whole bunch of revisionism, like "My team was picking at #5 and could have taken a guy who went in the 9th round! What was the front office thinking?????". That annoys me greatly.

That and the fact that this particular one is dumb. Klesla was a disappointment who was done by his last year in North America, and Volchenkov was done two years ago, but to have either of those guys out of the top 30 completely to put guys like Travis Moen and Deryk Engelland in is absurd. Vermette ahead of Heatley? Kronwall and Martin ahead of Visnovsky? Gaustad ahead of Stoll? Dan Ellis over Cechmanek? This is just bad.

Plus, Mike Rupp was a 1998 first-rounder who re-entered the draft, and they have him ahead of Raffi Torres anyway. And here I sit, not getting paid to write things while this garbage is what passes for hard-hitting history.
But (with Klesla as an HM), that's EIGHT current and former Jackets listed!

For those playing along at home: Hartnell, Vermette, Gaborik, Torres, Rupp, Schultz, Hainsey, and Rusty.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/06/23/or...-crosby-carey-price?page=3&devicetype=default

This is a really good read, if not slightly painful to read as a Columbus fan.
Kopitar: “I thought at that point, I had a somewhat strong feeling or somewhat of an idea that I was going to Columbus. I had met with their GM a few times. All those meetings were very productive so I figured that was it. They were pretty straight forward by saying that if I was still available that they would pick me. It didn’t happen but at the same time I’m very thankful because being in L.A. we’ve had some success and it’s been great for me.”

:cry: :banghead:

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Revisionist history but...

adding Anze Kopitar to a Rick Nash line changes everything EVERYTHING GMDMPD you are a friggin moron. Your scouts had Anze all teed up for you but your son.. really liked Brule. 6'3" vs 5'8" and all along you had preached size, speed, size, speed and you did your 10th or 11th 180 degree spin in a five year period, and you shot your wad on Gilbert Brule

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
26.6. The day of Jarmo on Finnish calendar. Also celebrated are Jorma, Jarkko, Jarno, Jere and Jeremias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad