Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
:facepalm:

Sure, then we can follow up by picking up a guy or two to play the rover position. It's just as relevant in today's game, after all.

If you can't play hockey - not ice-skates boxing, hockey - I don't want you anywhere near this team.

It looks like the Jackets found their rover!

Reactions: Viqsi

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
Listening to Torts talk about the Rover position to the press was really interesting in one of the recent "In The Room" videos that the Blue Jackets post to youtube. The last couple of those segments have been nice to listen to. I'll have to keep watching those videos.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I love how Torts is so open to actually discussing his thoughts on the team. Bobby Mac usually does a Torts segment on his game day podcasts, and it’s very informative. Quite refreshing.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I give that article a 23.68 on the advanced scale. The decimal points per 60 words is something else. "Elite" maybe.

Glad to see "another" Carlsson fan.

Do we still need to make room for Goloubef in the top 4 also?

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
I've seen a lot of articles saying the CBJ are losing to teams that are "hot" which is a good sign. Do you buy that, or is it just an excuse for losses?

I think the bright side is that they're still in the thick of things while not playing our best hockey. If some of the players get going, Panarin, Foligno, Dubinski, Atkinson was missing for a while, Wennberg, then they can really be a great hockey club.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Fligs is removed from 1st PP.

Finally Boone is getting the C time he's deserved, I just hope he can run with it. Cause if something doesn't happen soon I might be voting to try Werenski at center..

But I'm loving that second PP line, there's a lot of skill with nick and Murray out there leading the way

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I didn't wanna hijack an unrelated thread. I know some people don't enjoy me bringing this stuff up, but other than the Nash trade, you could argue (especially recently in conjunction with the Torts hire/"philosophy change" ) that this was the biggest or "most important" trade the team has ever made.

That player also had an illness.

No
he didn't. He was the 'illness'. Actually, I think all the "illness" talk stems from the fact that they had to declare a legit reason he was being "benched" and then sent home from a 3 game road trip. Either to not look terrible (all off the team/management/jojo) and/or to salvage value or for 'official NHL reasons' (*day-to-day). But when was the last time a vague explanation like "illness" was used in a situation like this? They were not tryin to hide an injury. And they could have simply said "He has the flu".

Here are the best short articles I think sheds the most light on the truth. Some quotes... Jarmo: "He's not feeling well" JD (said simply): "Another curveball"
https://thehockeywriters.com/ryan-johansen-ill-returns-to-columbus-during-road-trip/

More quotes...Torts: “Joey just doesn’t feel well,” .... “He lacks energy, and so we’ll list him as day-to-day, and he’s just getting some medical testing done and we’re gonna leave him alone and see if we can get that straightened out.”.......“We don’t think it’s long-term,” the coach added. “He just doesn’t feel well.”
https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/johansen-listed-as-day-to-day-illness-per-john-tortorella/c-784880

His own agent (who for whatever reason, was involved) said it wasn't heart related, so don't go there either.

This all happened in just about a week. He was "ok" the whole time.
Ryan Johansen '100 percent' following illness

Jojo: “The more I played, the more we won last season, and I got better the more I played,”.... “I don’t see the issue.”
Johansen: Blue Jackets offer 'a slap in the face' - Sportsnet.ca

When you actually look, its not hard to see the "issue". o_O

The real reason I bring this all up is because I want the real truth to come out. Both teams and players have seemed to have moved on and/or flourished, along with Portzline and (I believe) a couple other reporters who were close to the situation.

Would somebody on twitter 'connected' to Portzline or any other guy "familiar" with the situation, ask if there was any other negative "feelings" or "issues" or actual incidents between not only Jojo and Torts/management but between Jojo and teammates? If enough time has passed, I think you might get some surprising answers.

Somebody.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I'm really not trying to be a dick. Where can we talk about the trade? Or what else can we say about it other than "Good hockey trade for both teams"...? Seriously.

There were clearly things going on behind the scenes that were not common.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
News on Cam Atkinson extension talk:

Top 20 UFAs: John Tavares leads a 2018 free agent class that...

10. Cam Atkinson, Blue Jackets (winger) – The Blue Jackets had other priorities in the summer trying to get their restricted free agents to camp in time for actual games, so Atkinson’s contract was on the back burner. There have been conversations now that the season has started, with Columbus offering both a six and seven-year contract to keep Atkinson as part of the Blue Jackets' core long term.
That he hasn’t signed probably says a lot about what the salary on those offers were. He’s coming off a 35-goal season and has been a nice fit with John Tortorella, who has gotten the most production out of him since he entered the NHL. The Connecticut native has been a consistent goal scorer though throughout his career, with four seasons of at least 20 goals. He’ll be a popular target if he gets to free agency at 29 years old.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'm really not trying to be a dick. Where can we talk about the trade? Or what else can we say about it other than "Good hockey trade for both teams"...? Seriously.

There were clearly things going on behind the scenes that were not common.

I'm not either.

Conversation was had at length when it was timely. Feel free to continue via PM, er, the conversation function, or over beers.

Reactions: Viqsi

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Fast, 30+ goal scorers who can play 1st line PP and PK are worth what? Does he maybe give us a "hometown discount"

He could definitely think the game a little better or slower sometimes, but its pretty amazing what he's turned into at the NHL level. Having a tandem of Panarin/Atkinson in the top 6 on separate lines seems the best to me for the future.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Is it bad I'm willing to let him walk if it means getting JT? I think our wings are deep enough to absorb the loss. I mean Id hate to lose him for nothing, but we'd need him the playoffs.

If we're out of the playoffs at the TDL, there's definitely going to be some moves, but I'd doubt that it'd be Atkinson tbh.
If it's a one or the other thing, sure, but I'd much prefer to do what it takes to keep him.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
If it's a one or the other thing, sure, but I'd much prefer to do what it takes to keep him.
Other moves could definitely be made to add JT and keep cam. I just know things are gonna be extremely tight soon and Jarmo is really gonna have to earn his paycheck over the next two seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce