Post-Game Talk: Injury Depleted Jets 5 Kanuckleheads 1

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It actually is a brainer. Stan has played over 100 NHL games--why not evaluate his entire body of work and trajectory over the past year? (Spoiler alert: it has plateaued)

Heinola and Capo have both earned longer looks--each for a different reason-- because a handful of NHL games means very little.
I disagree about Stan but you are entitled to your opinion. I see Stan in the vein of Edmundson, chariot who bring back 1st for their ability to clear front of net. He is irrelevant being injured. He is what he is. If they can improve on him while still winning all the power to it. Which they did by replacing him with Berg.

He was also a placeholder till the coaches felt berg and Heinola were ready they may never be.

I agree Capo does deserve a longer look because he was good last game. One game becomes two games.
Heinola has earned nothing yet. He will get a chance hopefully he’ll run with it. If he doesn’t you go back to the guy who just had a good game.

Also coach sees Stan as a stay at home d and wants 3 d d and 3 o d. Heinola is just competing with Capo if they move one of Pionk or Schmidt next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: TS Quint

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This is an interesting thought. It is widely assumed around here that this is Heinola’s opportunity. But we don’t know if that is Bones is planning. Capo did play well and is probably very well liked by players and coaches with many wanting to see him in. Maybe we see a bit of a 3 player rotation of Capo, Samberg and Heinola?
The differnce between Capo and heinola is Capo got a chance and showed something, you can build off that as a coach/player. Heinola always just needs anoher chance.

Reactions: GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Apparently a good game, old Sip went lights out at 5:21 into the second period!

Nice to see the Jets prevail with the hybrid NHL/AHL roster

Is Apples really that much of a loss, don't think he's much better than Eyesmound, Hurtkins or the other AHL'rs we've employed!
Probably close to 1/2 the players across the league getting NHL games this season will be bottom of the roster, PB and AHL callup players. That's how you fill out rosters and deal with injuries. What team can afford a spare top 6 winger or top 4 d-man sitting in the wings to cover for injuries? And if you could afford it they would be gone on waivers anyways. You just have to hope you can plug in guys who can play the system and work hard.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I think Ananna really has this thing for Axel. :naughty:
Look at that gorgeous photo and you have to think about it?

I'll wager that half the women in this city have more than one thing for beautiful Axel.

PS: I don't know anyone named Ananna or Anna, but they are centuries and worlds away from Inanna.

Reactions: Stumbledore and GNP

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The differnce between Capo and heinola is Capo got a chance and showed something, you can build off that as a coach/player. Heinola always just needs anoher chance.
Heinola NHL: 27 GP, 1G, 10P, -3
Capobianco NHL: 63 GP, 4G, 11P, -16

Technically, Heinola's shown almost as much offense in fewer games.

Last night Capobianco was the worst Jets defenseman and only looked decent because of the incredibly poor goaltending he faced. Despite Bowness' efforts to shelter him - giving him the least amount of ice time of any Jets defenseman, no other defender was on the ice for more shot attempts against, shots against, or expected goals against.

If that's showing you something, you may have leads on your good hockey player detector connected backwards... :sarcasm:

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
kate-mc-kinnon-office-christmas-party.gif

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Last night Capobianco was the worst Jets defenseman and only looked decent because of the incredibly poor goaltending he faced. Despite Bowness' efforts to shelter him - giving him the least amount of ice time of any Jets defenseman, no other defender was on the ice for more shot attempts against, shots against, or expected goals against.

If that's showing you something, you may have leads on your good hockey player detector connected backwards... :sarcasm:
And Kyle Connor had the team's worst xGF% last night. Sometimes you need a mix of the eye test and underlying stats.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I disagree about Stan but you are entitled to your opinion. I see Stan in the vein of Edmundson, chariot who bring back 1st for their ability to clear front of net. He is irrelevant being injured. He is what he is. If they can improve on him while still winning all the power to it. Which they did by replacing him with Berg.

He was also a placeholder till the coaches felt berg and Heinola were ready they may never be.

I agree Capo does deserve a longer look because he was good last game. One game becomes two games.
Heinola has earned nothing yet. He will get a chance hopefully he’ll run with it. If he doesn’t you go back to the guy who just had a good game.

Also coach sees Stan as a stay at home d and wants 3 d d and 3 o d. Heinola is just competing with Capo if they move one of Pionk or Schmidt next year.

Eh, Edmundson has brought back nothing yet, he was traded for a fifth round pick and is bad. Whatever overpayment by geriatric GM #23 will be be an overpayment. Chiarot was an overpay from the moment it happened, everyone called it as so, and it showed immediately in the playoffs as he was awful.

Stanley is not a stay at home D, in any sense of the word. He's not good in the dzone, he's not good covering for other dmen pushing up in the play because he has terrible agility. He's at his best when he's the one being aggressive, or getting pucks through from the point which he does pretty damn well. He's better in the ozone than he is in the dzone. He also doesn't even use his size most of the time, only occasionally being physical and punishing players along the boards.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Yeah, but you have to understand on here Heinola has a much higher bar to clear. He's a first round pick, he's "small" and he's *Finnish*, so he has a lot more bars to clear before he can reach the respect that a waiver wire pickup with no expectations can receive. He's no Sbisa, or Beaulieu, or Dahlstrom. Kings among men.

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Scheifele IMO has played excellent the last 2 nights despite being held pointless.

Bit of a change from last season where there were a number of games where I thought he was flat out bad but somehow still ended with a multi point game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad