Info for fans visiting Buffalo

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Visiting Buffalo / Seeing a Sabres game?

I will be visiting HSBC arena next week, but will be staying in Niagara Falls (Canada side). I was wondering if there was a bus or shuttle service to and from the arena? Last thing I want to do is have to drive after having a few beers at the game.

Thanks for the help.

kevmcdin2003

Mar 30, 2010
Orchard Park, NY
The only thing I know of is the NFTA Busses, they however do not cross the boarder, so you'll have to walk across the boarder and get on the bus in the NY side. I've never used it so I don't know how long the busses run or if there are longer times for gameday, you can check their website. www.nfta.com

Macksayev

17+19 (3+72)
Jan 30, 2008
Buffalo, NY
Buses are not the ideal situation, you'd cross into the US and possibly have to take two buses to get downtown, unless you're on the 40 route which is directly to and from Niagara Falls- unless they changed it. I haven't needed to check the 40 bus since rookie camp :laugh:

If you do decide on the bus thing, get a day pass, they're 4 bucks and the best bet, you can use them all day for any amount of buses, just ask for one and show it to the driver when getting on the bus.

Is there any way you can stay in downtown buffalo? It would be a LOT easier for you after having a few to get on the rail which is free and go down main street towards the Adams Mark and a few other places.

blackOnion

Why eat eggplant?
I will be visiting HSBC arena next week, but will be staying in Niagara Falls (Canada side). I was wondering if there was a bus or shuttle service to and from the arena? Last thing I want to do is have to drive after having a few beers at the game.

Thanks for the help.

I'm doing the same thing next week. In my limited experience, I have never seen public transit to games, it's quite a distance for that. This will be the first time I need a passport, I hope it's ready without a hitch in time. Thanksgiving in WNY for hockey.

Also, nice avatar.

gaf

Occupied Territory
Sep 22, 2005
... on the warpath
No, too late.

Does anyone know roughly how much a cab would be from Niagara Falls to HSBC?
its 25 from the airport to downtown. Wouldnt surprise me if it was 40/50. its going to be pricey. you might actually be better off flying from Niagara falls airport to buffalo ! lol:laugh:

seriously, i'd research Nfta.com and see if you can grab a bus.

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
its 25 from the airport to downtown. Wouldnt surprise me if it was 40/50. its going to be pricey. you might actually be better off flying from Niagara falls airport to buffalo ! lol:laugh:

seriously, i'd research Nfta.com and see if you can grab a bus.

Hmm ok.

Can anyone shed some light on how long the border crossings are on Black Friday? I'm not looking forward to waiting an hour or two in line after the game. :cry:

Clock

May 13, 2006
Hmm ok.

Can anyone shed some light on how long the border crossings are on Black Friday? I'm not looking forward to waiting an hour or two in line after the game. :cry:

They're probably going to be ridiculous, really. Lotta Canadians coming in and out to take advantage of the exchange rate and Black Friday deals.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hmm ok.

There is an 800 number for border wait times for the three bridges. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

gaf

Occupied Territory
Sep 22, 2005
... on the warpath
There is an 800 number for border wait times for the three bridges. I'll see if I can dig it up and post it.

there are also traffic cams, though depending on how far you are away form the bridges when you view the image- the wait time may be drastically different

Whammer

Sep 22, 2005
Grand Island
www.myspace.com

ComrieFanatic

Dec 27, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Thanks guys.

Are we talking an hour? 3 hours? I've read the Peace Bridge is my best bet. Is this true, or is there a better bridge option? I don't mind going a bit out of my way if it means we don't have to sit for awhile at the border.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Thanks guys.

Are we talking an hour? 3 hours? I've read the Peace Bridge is my best bet. Is this true, or is there a better bridge option? I don't mind going a bit out of my way if it means we don't have to sit for awhile at the border.

Honestly, I find the shortest waits at Rainbow in Niagara Falls. It used to be Lewiston-Queenston, but that one is usually backed up do to the truck transit traffic and can be twice the wait of the others. Rainbow is non-freight crossing only, so no trucks. My worst crossing experiences have been about 90 minutes on particularly bad days (both volume of traffic and safety warnings). The bigger issue was the construction and volume on the QE down to Hamilton....

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Ramp parking for a home game (12/15)

I usually go to 5-10 home games a year and have always parked up by the ball diamond and walked. However for the game I am going to on 12/15 against the Bruins I would like to be able to park in the ramp attached to the arena and avoid the cold walk (or more specifically avoid my girlfriend complaining about the cold walk ;)).

I looked around but couldn't find information on how to purchase passes to the ramp for that event. Are these for season ticket holders only? If so, is there somewhere that people might be selling theirs that I could purchase one?

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Ramp parking is sold out for the season and season ticket holders are the only ones who
can park in the ramp - so you would have to see if a season ticket holder who has ramp
parking would be willing to sell you his/her ramp parking ticket for that game.

There is a lot directly in front of the arena - located between the front entrance and
the Sabres store. Price is $15.00 and if you get there early enough (5:45 pm ET or so)
you should be able to get a parking spot near the front where theres only about a 15
feet walk to the front entrance. Now after telling you this, hopefully my dad and I get
a parking spot in that lot that night - if we don't, I know who to blame! :laugh:

(Don't worry - we will get a spot there as we always arrive at the arena close to an hour
before face-off. We know the parking attendents quite well and they always save us a spot
or make us a parking spot so to speak should we happened to arrive really late - which has
happened only once or twice the last two-three years we have been parking there.)

For some reason - even though its the lot thats the closest to the arena - the lot is not
affiliated with the Sabres so we can't take advantage of the pre-paid parking (which is a
savings of $2 per-game) that the Sabres offer via their website for other lots - those lots
are located beyond the parking ramp. Which sucks since my Dad and I like parking there for
games - we get out pretty quick and as I said above, a very short walk to the arena - and
wouldn't mind saving the $2 on every home game. (We attend an average of 33 home games
every season so at $2 off per-game, we could be saving at least $66.)

LS...

Last edited:

itscameron

Jul 11, 2010
St. Catharines, ON
Where to meet the away team's players at the HSBC arena

Ottawa fan coming in peace.

I go to every game @ HSBC Arena when the Sens are in town and I was just wondering where, when, and how can you meet the away players at HSBC. I know it's possible just to wait at the arena for the players to come out, but when and where would that be? (Specific gate number) I think I've heard that there's a bar near the arena where they hangout after the game, but I'm not too sure about that either.

-Thanks a lot in advance :)

kcoxsabresfan

May 4, 2010
Ottawa fan coming in peace.

I go to every game @ HSBC Arena when the Sens are in town and I was just wondering where, when, and how can you meet the away players at HSBC. I know it's possible just to wait at the arena for the players to come out, but when and where would that be? (Specific gate number) I think I've heard that there's a bar near the arena where they hangout after the game, but I'm not too sure about that either.

-Thanks a lot in advance :)

The Home players sometimes go to Cobblestone or to a lesser extent Benchwarmers around the corner, but I'm not sure about away players.

After the game the players, Home + Away, give a list of people that are allowed to come down to the section next to where the Zamboni comes out to meet with them. That's usually for friends and family though.

Other than that, the locker rooms are right behind the bench, and the exit the players use to get to the buses is separate from any that the fans use. There is a small possibility that you could meet them by the bus, they park behind the stadium on south park ave, but there is security.

Pyke*

Things to do around HSBC Arena?

Hey,

I come in peace... :P. I realize that this is not necessarily the best place for this, but, I figured that since I know from experience at Sens games Buffalo fans are pretty loyal to their franchise and friendly, that you guys might be willing to help with some suggestions.

As I'm sure all of you know - you guys are hosting the World Junior Championship this year. A friend and I are heading down to check out the Gold Medal game. We're basically in Buffalo for 26 hours, mostly in and around HSBC Arena.

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to good activities/bars/etc to participate in while there.

Any thoughts you have would definitely be helpful.

-Pyke

P.S.: Good luck to the Sabres. :)... One of the teams I actually like in the North East (other than Ottawa of course).

Clock

May 13, 2006
I think this thread touches on some of what you're looking for, but the popular choice for post-game festivities is usually to head down to Chippewa. You can take the train that leaves the arena after the game right to Fountain Plaza.

Pyke*

I think this thread touches on some of what you're looking for, but the popular choice for post-game festivities is usually to head down to Chippewa. You can take the train that leaves the arena after the game right to Fountain Plaza.

I think the thread got moved here.

member 30781

Any good places to eat in Buffalo? I assume there are, just like there is in every major city. I'll be there for the first couple days of the World Juniors and I'll be staying close to the airport. Was wondering what are some good places to find some great grub in/around Buffalo.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Any good places to eat in Buffalo? I assume there are, just like there is in every major city. I'll be there for the first couple days of the World Juniors and I'll be staying close to the airport. Was wondering what are some good places to find some great grub in/around Buffalo.

Pearl Street
Gabriel's Gate
Chef's
Buffalo Chophouse
many more

If you have time to do some research, http://buffalochow.com/ is a great site.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad