Info for fans visiting Buffalo

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been wondering something and I'm thinking that I'll just throw it in here since you have all been so helpful.

I'm considering a move to the golden horseshoe. I've been looking in Oakville, Cambridge, Kitchener, Waterloo, St. Catharines, Niagara... If I made this move I would immediately look to become a season ticket holder.

My question is, what is the travel time from these places to HSBC on game night including the border? Obviously its not an exact science but if you guys could ballpark it I would be able to figure out if its feasible.

I need to get out of this crime ridden hell hole known as Winnipeg.

Obviously St. Catherines and Niagara Falls would be the shortest. The Burl-Oak area would be an hour, maybe a touch more, particularly if you get jacked up by the 403/QE split where sometimes traffic can be rough coming south over the bridge but it's usually pretty smooth there, even at 5:00 p.m. in my experience. I'm usually going the other way thinking "so that's what moving traffic looks like!".

Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge area is a solid 2 hours given traffic and border. I've done it in less, but I have to admit that I regularly abuse Canadian speed limits. Highway 6 also isn't the best for speed freaks -- it's pretty much throttle controlled due to traffic levels let alone OPP.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Obviously St. Catherines and Niagara Falls would be the shortest. The Burl-Oak area would be an hour, maybe a touch more, particularly if you get jacked up by the 403/QE split where sometimes traffic can be rough coming south over the bridge but it's usually pretty smooth there, even at 5:00 p.m. in my experience. I'm usually going the other way thinking "so that's what moving traffic looks like!".

Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge area is a solid 2 hours given traffic and border. I've done it in less, but I have to admit that I regularly abuse Canadian speed limits. Highway 6 also isn't the best for speed freaks -- it's pretty much throttle controlled due to traffic levels let alone OPP.

Hmmm, so, Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge and season tickets might not be realistic given that drive, particularily on a weekday after work. That might be more mini-pack territory.

Burlington/Oak or St. Catharines/Niagara would definitely be season ticket possibilities.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
Hmmm, so, Kitchener-Waterloo/Cambridge and season tickets might not be realistic given that drive, particularily on a weekday after work. That might be more mini-pack territory.

Burlington/Oak or St. Catharines/Niagara would definitely be season ticket possibilities.

I definitely recommend St.Catharines and Niagara Falls or its surrounding towns such as Pelham, Thorold, or Niagara on the Lake. All are still the same short drive to Buffalo, and great communities.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I definitely recommend St.Catharines and Niagara Falls or its surrounding towns such as Pelham, Thorold, or Niagara on the Lake. All are still the same short drive to Buffalo, and great communities.

Niagara on the Lake is gorgeous in the Old Town area and out amidst the wineries. Not sure where CW is looking to work, but that would be a bit far afield. The wife and I have talked about earlier retirement and opening/buying a B&B there. :D

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Niagara on the Lake is gorgeous in the Old Town area and out amidst the wineries. Not sure where CW is looking to work, but that would be a bit far afield. The wife and I have talked about earlier retirement and opening/buying a B&B there. :D

Well, I am an insurance adjuster so I would have to work in a center large enough to have firms there. I think St. Catharines likely has some and if not Hailton most certainly would, as would Toronto of course.

I would be willing to commute but I am leary of doing it to and from Toronto as I have seen the traffic at rush hour haha.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, I am an insurance adjuster so I would have to work in a center large enough to have firms there. I think St. Catharines likely has some and if not Hailton most certainly would, as would Toronto of course.

I would be willing to commute but I am leary of doing it to and from Toronto as I have seen the traffic at rush hour haha.

Yeah, the traffic is a pain. Granted, the Go train from Burlington isn't too bad to get you downtown and skip the horrors of the Ford Drive area on the 403...

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah, the traffic is a pain. Granted, the Go train from Burlington isn't too bad to get you downtown and skip the horrors of the Ford Drive area on the 403...

Yeah, I was thinking maybe drive part way and take the train the rest. I imagine getting out of Toronto would make it diffuclt to make a week night Sabre game too?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah, I was thinking maybe drive part way and take the train the rest. I imagine getting out of Toronto would make it diffuclt to make a week night Sabre game too?

Again, depends on your employer. :D But yeah, working in TO puts in a crimp in weekday games in Buffalo.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
America's Ten Dead Cities...

1. Buffalo

In 1900, Buffalo was the eighth largest city in America. It was located on one of the busiest sections of the Erie Canal, the terminus of the canal on the Great Lakes. Thanks to its location, Buffalo had huge grain milling operations and one of the largest steel mills in the country. Buffalo prospered during WWII as did many northern industrial cities. After the WWII, the manufacturing plants returned to the production of cars and industrial goods. The population rose to more than 500,000 in the mid-1950s. It is half that today. Buffalo was wounded irreparably by the de-industrialization of America.

Read more: America’s Ten Dead Cities: From Detroit To New Orleans - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/08/23/americas-ten-dead-cities-from-detroit-to-new-orleans/#ixzz0xdVK3lXL

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY

hockeynjersey

Oct 2, 2006
Harrison, NJ
Our inlaws are in from CA on vacation, we went to Niagara Falls yesterday and drove thru Buffalo on the way home to stop in the Anchor Bar for some wings (couldn't wait to try them). All in all the part of town we saw was pretty nice, and I highly recommend eating at the Anchor if you go for a visit, we loved the wings, matter of fact 7 of us (3 kids) put down 100 pieces lol.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
Well, thanks for the help everyone.

I was a candidate for morning show producer at WGR but despite being the "best candidate I received a resume from" they are going to stick in house because "I'd rather have someone who understands the passion of Buffalo than take a chance on an outsider".

I appreciate it, sorry it was all for naught.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I was a candidate for morning show producer at WGR but despite being the "best candidate I received a resume from" they are going to stick in house because "I'd rather have someone who understands the passion of Buffalo than take a chance on an outsider".

Which sounds like the Sabres. :shakehead Sorry you didn't land the job. Good luck!

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

sorry to hear that. WGR is a pain in the you know what to work for anyway. I have 3 or 4 guys i graduated college with who work there and only 1 seems to really like it there

I interviewed there and got a huge run around from their manager similar to yours

NYR1011

Sep 14, 2010
visiting teams hotels when playing the Sabres

I would like to say that I'm new to HF Boards and I can use all the help I can get. I'm a die hard Rangers fan and will be attending the Rangers vs. Sabres game at HSBC Arena on October 9th, 2010. It's my first trip to Buffalo and I would like to know if anyone had any information at all about what hotel the Rangers (or any NHL team) stay at while in Buffalo. Thank you so much and I hope to hear from people soon!

No Ragretzky

Ho Borvat
Apr 8, 2008
Calgary
Quick question:

Does anybody know when the Labatt Blue Zone at HSBC arena closes? I'm hoping to hang around the arena for a bit when the game ends (Van @ Buf, Nov 15 :yo:). If not is there any pubs/restaurants nearby HSBC?

I also wonder if there will be anything special for the Vancouver-Buffalo game being that they are sister teams celebrating their 40th anniversary.

BeastMode2326

Dec 6, 2008
Buffalo
Quick question:

Does anybody know when the Labatt Blue Zone at HSBC arena closes? I'm hoping to hang around the arena for a bit when the game ends (Van @ Buf, Nov 15 :yo:). If not is there any pubs/restaurants nearby HSBC?

I also wonder if there will be anything special for the Vancouver-Buffalo game being that they are sister teams celebrating their 40th anniversary.
There are a whole bunch of bars withing walking distance of HSBC. Couple right next to it (Cobblestone for instance).

Not sure when the Labbatt Blue Zone closes.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
America's Ten Dead Cities...

Read more: America’s Ten Dead Cities: From Detroit To New Orleans - 24/7 Wall St. http://247wallst.com/2010/08/23/americas-ten-dead-cities-from-detroit-to-new-orleans/#ixzz0xdVK3lXL

Another BS article made by people who look at numbers without knowing the real picture.

This article makes the statement that Buffalo was the 8th largest city in America in 1900. The population of Erie county back then was 433,686.

It then goes on to mention the greatness of the 1950's. The population of Erie County in 1950 was 899,238.

Then the article tells you, since then, half the residents of Buffalo have left and it makes this area sound like a ghost town.

Except today, the population of Erie County is 909,247. We have more people living in WNY now than we did 60 years ago. They just don't live within the city limits anymore.

Yeah, I realize we did have a little over a million people in Erie County 30 years ago, and overall we're still a declining rate since then, but it's nowhere near as bad as they make it out to sound. They never make the note that the population shifted from city to suburbs. And I'll bet that they don't mention that other cities have artificially increased their "populations" simply by increasing the area of their city limits, as they merge with suburbs and just call it part of the 'metro area'.

Last edited:

FOXHOUND*

What are the good places to go before and after a sabres game? I'm coming to the home opener. Bars mostly - sports, college - that sort of thing

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are the good places to go before and after a sabres game? I'm coming to the home opener. Bars mostly - sports, college - that sort of thing

Pre-game? Pearl St , WJ Morrissey's, Cobblestone, Benchwarmers (it's inbetween Cobblestone and Morrisseys) are all nearby. I would avoid Irish Times if you are an out-of-town fan. Same with Washington Square. You could also start up on Chippewa and take the train down to the Arena before and after. That area is more "college bar".

FOXHOUND*

Pre-game? Pearl St , WJ Morrissey's, Cobblestone, Benchwarmers (it's inbetween Cobblestone and Morrisseys) are all nearby. I would avoid Irish Times if you are an out-of-town fan. Same with Washington Square. You could also start up on Chippewa and take the train down to the Arena before and after. That area is more "college bar".

Thanks. Not too worried about being an opposing fan in a bar (I made it out of Philly alive I think I can handle buffalo haha) but ill keep it in mind.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad