Trade: [IND/NYJ] Jets trade up to 3rd overall for 6th, 37th, 49th and 2019 2nd

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
and let's not forget the history of jets 2nd rounders!

2016 - Christian Hackenberg
2015 - Devin Smith
2014 - Jace Amaro
2013 - Geno Smith
2012 - Stephen Hill
2011 - no pick
2010 - Vlad Ducasse
2009 - no pick
2008 - no pick

lol. '17 2nd rounder (marcus maye) looks like already the best player of the group. they also nailed their '07 2nd rounder with david harris.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

2015 - Devin Smith
2014 - Jace Amaro
2013 - Geno Smith
2012 - Stephen Hill
2011 - no pick
2010 - Vlad Ducasse
2009 - no pick
2008 - no pick

lol. '17 2nd rounder (marcus maye) looks like already the best player of the group. they also nailed their '07 2nd rounder with david harris.

Plus here is why the Jets made this trade. They brought back Mo Claiborne and signed Tru Johnson. They signed Avery Williamson. They signed Crowell. They have weapons on offense. Now they can get their QB.

Reactions: Voight and Dubi Doo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Jeez, that's a ridiculous haul to move up 3 spots in a draft where there's no surefire franchise QB. Jets gonna Jet.
Which QB do they think is so much better than the others that they couldn't get at 6?

It's not any higher price than what the Rams and Eagles gave up to grab Goff and Wentz in the 2016 draft.
Titans moved from #1 to #15, then added 2 #2 picks, 1 #1, 2 #3 picks. Sent out a #4, #6, #7 as well to the Rams.
Cleveland moved from #2 to #8, then added an extra #1, #2, #3, and swapped #4 picks.
Titan's extra #1 was #5 the next season, and the Brown's extra #1 was the 12th pick the next season. Jet's 2nd next season should be in the mid to high 30's.
Neither Goff nor Wentz were regarded as can't miss like Luck.

So Ballard is doing the Sashi Brown thing...I wonder if the media will give him the same treatment.

Ballard has a QB. He doesn't trade that pick if they don't believe Luck isn't coming back. Of course, if Luck does come back and hurts his shoulder again, he'll get ripped. But, he's doing the right move by trading down and getting more picks to help turn over his roster.

I personally can't imagine the Giants passing on a QB. The cost that is required to move up to grab one in another 2 years (when Manning is done) is high as we have seen. That means gutting your day 1 & 2 picks for 2 drafts to get it done. Unless they are really high on Davis Webb. Too bad they didn't start him late last season to get a look.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Great deal for Colts

Jets overpaid bigtime so they must be worried someone was going to move up and snatch a QB they wanted

That's exactly what it was...and the Bills were suspect #1 among teams that could have moved up. I could have easily seen a top five with the four QB's (Browns, Giants, Bills via trade, Broncos) and Barkley, leaving the Jets with bupkus. Or one of the QB's was there they might not like as much - the Wyoming kid perhaps. Sure I would have been okay with Chubb or Nelson but that would have been unacceptable for a fanbase expecting the Jets to draft a QB and especially considering the FO never had a shot at Cousins and only signed two one-year deal guys.

I mean I generally hate giving up a ton of picks to move a handful of spots but there weren't a lot of options for the Jets to get a 'long-term' answer at QB. Our first-round pick next year probably won't be in the top six, trying to make it work with mid-round guys gave us Hack and Petty in the first place, and there's always a markup for QB prices in terms of draft moves. They could have tried to find the next Garropolo in trade but that's as much a magic beans solution as relying on mid-rounders.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
2012 - Stephen Hill.

Jets saved Bears with that one

Bears were high on Hill and Lovie Smith even had dinner with him. When Jets snatched him ahead of Bears pick the Bears were forced to go with plan B at WR in 2nd round and that was Alshon Jeffery

They were going to trade up for Hill but couldn't get ahead of Jets who traded up to #43 so Bears then pulled trade to move up to 45 to guarantee they could get Jeffery before he went off board

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Value lies in 1st rounders. They didn't give up any future 1sts.
The fact they gave up his year's first in addition to all those other 2nds is what makes this horrendous.

That and likely having to ride bitch to the Giants and Browns. History is littered with the corpses of busts and decent (at best) pros being picked at Qb in the top 6 as the 1st and 2nd QBs to go in the draft. Except the Jets likely won't even get one of the top 2 QBs in the draft.

Imagine trading all that for Alex Smith or worse, RG3 (worked out great for Wsh, one of the worst run franchises in the NFL for over a decade, great model to follow!) or Jamarcus.

Anything short of a perennial pro bowler makes this an abject disaster and I'm not a fan of trades that demand a perennial pro bowl career in order to qualify as good

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I didn’t realize that included a 2nd next year

Kevin Costner made this move on Draft Day without even having to move a 1st rounder

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I really like this for the Colts. They can still get a very good player at #6 and use those extra picks to fill the many holes on the roster.

If the Jets get their franchise QB then what they gave up won't really matter but that's quite a bit to move up three spots. The other thing is there's no guarantee they'll get the top or even one of the top two QBs on their board. Maybe they like enough of them or have them rated similarly though.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
ehh I don't think this will be a complete disaster if it doesn't work out. Giving up future 1st is where you cripple a team, and they didn't do that. In terms of futures, they gave up 1 2nd round pick. Not too bad.
IF it does work out, then it changes their franchise.

I like it for both teams tbh.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I personally can't imagine the Giants passing on a QB. The cost that is required to move up to grab one in another 2 years (when Manning is done) is high as we have seen. That means gutting your day 1 & 2 picks for 2 drafts to get it done. Unless they are really high on Davis Webb. Too bad they didn't start him late last season to get a look.

Giants can just pick a QB when they suck again. No need to use a #2 pick on a QB that isn’t worthy. They can take the best OG in years to go with Solder.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The fact they gave up his year's first in addition to all those other 2nds is what makes this horrendous.
That and likely having to ride ***** to the Giants and Browns. History is littered with the corpses of busts and decent (at best) pros being picked at Qb in the top 6 as the 1st and 2nd QBs to go in the draft. Except the Jets likely won't even get one of the top 2 QBs in the draft.

Imagine trading all that for Alex Smith or worse, RG3 (worked out great for Wsh, one of the worst run franchises in the NFL for over a decade, great model to follow!) or Jamarcus.
Anything short of a perennial pro bowler makes this an abject disaster and I'm not a fan of trades that demand a perennial pro bowl career in order to qualify as good
Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Bridgewater were all taken before Derek Carr n Jimmy G.
Funny you mention Alex Smith who was picked like 18 spots in front of Rodgers. Wentz went second overall. Trubisky and Watson look pretty good.
I guess you don't remember the likes of Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien drafted in front of Marino.
The Draft is a gamble regardless and the same can be said for all those amazing second rd picks the Jets are trading. My guess is even if two of the three qbs are taken the Jets like Mayfield and werent sure he be there at 6.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Its a bad trade if the QB NY chooses is a bust. If they draft a franchise player all of a sudden the opposite happens like Wentz. And Wentz was also a huge gamble.
People seem to forget what it took to draft Sammy Watkins and Julio Jones.
2nd rd Draft picks can be made up in free agency and in trades.
If the jets get a franchise QB this year next year its the Jets time to recoup those picks.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

2015 - Devin Smith
2014 - Jace Amaro
2013 - Geno Smith
2012 - Stephen Hill
2011 - no pick
2010 - Vlad Ducasse
2009 - no pick
2008 - no pick

Only Hackenberg was truly an egregiously bad draft pick.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Bridgewater were all taken before Derek Carr n Jimmy G.
Funny you mention Alex Smith who was picked like 18 spots in front of Rodgers. Wentz went second overall. Trubisky and Watson look pretty good.
I guess you don't remember the likes of Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien drafted in front of Marino.
The Draft is a gamble regardless and the same can be said for all those amazing second rd picks the Jets are trading. My guess is even if two of the three qbs are taken the Jets like Mayfield and werent sure he be there at 6.

I put forth an argument predicated on the idea that the Jets didn't need to trade up to gamble on a QB at the top of the draft. You look at an argument where the OBVIOUS implication is that I know successful QBs frequently fall to the late 1st, early 2nd round. You look at this and you think to yourself

"I'll show this guy how dumb his argument is by pointing out how many teams got their QB's of the future by taking them later in the draft!"

Brilliant.

Yes I assume the Jets are comfortable taking any of the 3 QBS there. It'd be even more moronic of them to trade up and then cross their fingers hoping the one single guy they like will fall to them

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When you have your guy at QB, you have to go up and get him. They could sit around at 6, or they can make the move and stop someone else from doing it. The Bills have 2 1st round picks, we even saw it in our very own mock draft.

The Jets braintrust are nearing the end of their line, so at some point you have to push your chips to the middle and get your quarterback. Look at the price that cost the Texans, but I bet they'd do it again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad