Trade: [IND/NYJ] Jets trade up to 3rd overall for 6th, 37th, 49th and 2019 2nd

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Giants are the wild card. If they don’t trade the pick you have to expect a QB. Maybe Barkley at 2 but by value alone that imo is a mistake. Also is Denver after a Qb?

I think they go QB. Better to have a succession plan in place now then wait until Eli hangs them up. They may not have this chance again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think they go QB. Better to have a succession plan in place now then wait until Eli hangs them up. They may not have this chance again.
Plus, look at the teams who need a QB and where they selecting. Can’t always be in position to get a Top QB. May need to trade up like the jets. That’s an expensive proposition. If they held the #3 pick on their own they get 3 extra second rounders to add help for their young qb.

Reactions: Voight

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Great trade for the Colts, but good one for the Jets too.

I think the Giants are the real winners here. If they really are not picking a QB in the first, they know that QB's are going at 1 & 3 and have a ton of leverage. I think you see them drop back a couple of spots and maybe figure something out with Denver.

It's pretty funny looking back how people were freaking out about how what Chicago did last year to get a QB. They gave up far less draft capital and ensured themself their top rated QB. Loved it for the Bears. Jets moved up 3 spots but probably don't know who they're even going to end up with.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Despite having a TON of cap, Colts are sleep-walking through this free agency. This includes letting their own guys go.

This makes me think they are not optimistic about Luck's health and rather have Cap space for next off season.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Great trade for the Colts, but good one for the Jets too.

I think the Giants are the real winners here. If they really are not picking a QB in the first, they know that QB's are going at 1 & 3 and have a ton of leverage. I think you see them drop back a couple of spots and maybe figure something out with Denver.

It's pretty funny looking back how people were freaking out about how what Chicago did last year to get a QB. They gave up far less draft capital and ensured themself their top rated QB. Loved it for the Bears. Jets moved up 3 spots but probably don't know who they're even going to end up with.

I think that depends. If the Giants are intent on winning with Eli as sources have claimed, they almost assuredly take either Barkley or Chubb.

I'd be mighty tempted if I were the Giants brass to try and bend the Bills/Broncos over and get a stupid haul for the right to take one of those QB's

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
I think that depends. If the Giants are intent on winning with Eli as sources have claimed, they almost assuredly take either Barkley or Chubb.

I'd be mighty tempted if I were the Giants brass to try and bend the Bills/Broncos over and get a stupid haul for the right to take one of those QB's

If the Giants keep the pick, they have to be taking a QB. There's no way around it and anything else just doesn't make logical sense.

Assuming the Giants really don't want a QB, they can accumulate extra picks by moving down just one spot in trading with the Jets and guaranteed they still get exactly the guy they want at #3. The Jets will/should make that trade to lock in a top-2 QB on their board because good bet that Buffalo/Denver will come knocking on the Giants' door for that #2 pick.

Last season, the Bears traded two 3rds and a 4th just to move up from #3 to #2. Perhaps, that's what the Giants can expect here as well if they were to trade with the Jets. Even just an extra 3rd would be a win for the Giants.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Barkley at 2 is a wasted pick. A 230 lb pound scat back that doesn't run with power?

The Giants want to win now, and the one spot that has been really glaring over the last...4 or so years has been their run game. Lots of people with eyes on the Giants organization has said this. They want one more crack at it with Eli still around. Whether Barkley is the right way to accomplish this remains to be seen.

I don't agree with it at all as i'm of the mindset you do not take a back that high unless you somehow have a pick you shouldn't and don't need to fill any glaring holes (so Jacksonville with Fournette or even Dallas with Zeke) with it. I'd honestly just take the QB.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Jets beater says that the Jets favor Darnold, Allen and Rosen in that order. Congrats New York..you're getting a Kyle Boller!

In today's MMQB Peter King says his money is on Mayfield to the Jets so we got all the options covered now.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Giants have to either pick a QB or trade down. Any other option is mismanagement.

Reactions: Voight

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Barkley at 2 is a wasted pick. A 230 lb pound scat back that doesn't run with power?
I disagree with this. He has plenty of power and has showed it.

Barkley is a modern day RB who doesn't just try to smash into linemen for the heck of it.

Keep also in mind that PSU system ran a lot of perimeter option plays with McSorley and Barkley.

Reactions: pdogfizzle

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I disagree with this. He has plenty of power and has showed it.

Barkley is a modern day RB who doesn't just try to smash into linemen for the heck of it.

Keep also in mind that PSU system ran a lot of perimeter option plays with McSorley and Barkley.

Barkley stops his feet at the LOS. He doesn't like running in a phone booth. It's not about "running into lineman". It's about exploiting small openings and grinding out hard yards. Haven't seen that out of him. He had huge running lanes at Penn State, won't have that in the NFL.

Stopping your feet at the LOS is a red flag for me.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
He didn't have huge lanes at PSU.

Penn State O-Line was probably their weakest unit and most likely cost them the playoffs.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If the Giants keep the pick, they have to be taking a QB. There's no way around it and anything else just doesn't make logical sense.

Assuming the Giants really don't want a QB, they can accumulate extra picks by moving down just one spot in trading with the Jets and guaranteed they still get exactly the guy they want at #3. The Jets will/should make that trade to lock in a top-2 QB on their board because good bet that Buffalo/Denver will come knocking on the Giants' door for that #2 pick.

Last season, the Bears traded two 3rds and a 4th just to move up from #3 to #2. Perhaps, that's what the Giants can expect here as well if they were to trade with the Jets. Even just an extra 3rd would be a win for the Giants.

So you expect the jets to deal 3 extra seconds plus 2 extra thirds and a 4th to get to #2? Think they made their offer to NYG and they didn’t take it.

Should nyg really be locked into 1 guy? Wouldn’t any of Nelson, Chubb or Barkley work for them? Indy seems content with landing one of those guys .

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I get the concerns with Barkley.

David Johnson is the obvious best-case comparable, but I think he is very similar to a bigger CJ Spiller.

I wouldn't take him top 5, but I wouldn't have taken Fournette or Zeke top five either.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I get the concerns with Barkley.

David Johnson is the obvious best-case comparable, but I think he is very similar to a bigger CJ Spiller.

I wouldn't take him top 5, but I wouldn't have taken Fournette or Zeke top five either.
RB depreciate rapidly. Wear and tear of the position. Need to have a solid OLine and QB so that the D can’t simply stack the box.

Very few teams at the top of the draft have Those 2 areas in place.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I strongly believe that, barring injuries, Barkley will put up the numbers. His receiving skills alone make him a great prospect.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I strongly believe that, barring injuries, Barkley will put up the numbers. His receiving skills alone make him a great prospect.

AP is the last RB picked in the top 10 that has produced consistently (he obviously did way more than expected), off the top of my head. Zeke and Fournette will likely also do so but its still early. Thats why its risky to pick a RB in the top 10, you could very easily end up with a Spiller or Richardson.

Look at the top 5 rushers from last year. Gurley was the only top pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad