Trade: [IND/NYJ] Jets trade up to 3rd overall for 6th, 37th, 49th and 2019 2nd

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giants can just pick a QB when they suck again. No need to use a #2 pick on a QB that isn’t worthy. They can take the best OG in years to go with Solder.

I would expect that the Jets called both the Colts and Giants to inquire about moving up. So, it leads me to believe that the Jets would have loved to ensure that only 1 QB is off the board when they picked, but the Giants didn't want to move off that pick.

I think any one of Chubb, Barkley, Nelson would benefit the Giants this season, along with the 2 additional 2nd round picks. Because, if the Giants trade down, then it likely prompts the Bills to move up as well to get either the Colts pick at #3 or the Brown's extra pick at #4 to secure a QB.

Last edited:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Giants aren't a trading team really, especially at the draft. They come to the draft, make their picks, and go home.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Plus here is why the Jets made this trade. They brought back Mo Claiborne and signed Tru Johnson. They signed Avery Williamson. They signed Crowell. They have weapons on offense. Now they can get their QB.
That being said, f*** the Jets.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Next move is on the Broncos to move up to the #2 spot. The Giants would be hilariously stupid not to move down. The top 4 is looking like it's going to be all QBs and then the Giants will pretty much get the guy at #5 that they were looking at with the #2 pick anyways.

Reactions: le_sean
Feb 24, 2017
Jets saved Bears with that one

Bears were high on Hill and Lovie Smith even had dinner with him. When Jets snatched him ahead of Bears pick the Bears were forced to go with plan B at WR in 2nd round and that was Alshon Jeffery

They were going to trade up for Hill but couldn't get ahead of Jets who traded up to #43 so Bears then pulled trade to move up to 45 to guarantee they could get Jeffery before he went off board

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Giants aren't a trading team really, especially at the draft. They come to the draft, make their picks, and go home.

Historically, but, this is a new GM and he should do what makes sense for the franchise. If 3 QBs go before #6, Giants will either get the best player in the draft in Barkley, best pass rusher in Chubb or the best OL in the draft whom most expect to be a Pro Bowler or even All Pro at Guard. All 3 guys are highly desirable. Only makes sense to trade down unless they are drafting a QB.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Next move is on the Broncos to move up to the #2 spot. The Giants would be hilariously stupid not to move down. The top 4 is looking like it's going to be all QBs and then the Giants will pretty much get the guy at #5 that they were looking at with the #2 pick anyways.

I see this as very likely. Elway is aggressive.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

IMO, the Giants would be stupid to pass on a QB because they have a 37 year old Eli but it seems like that decision has already been made so in that case, I agree. They should collect a bunch of picks from a QB needy team and move down. The Broncos might be the best option because you don't move down too far but the Bills will probably put together an enticing package that could include two 1st round picks.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
IMO, the Giants would be stupid to pass on a QB because they have a 37 year old Eli but it seems like that decision has already been made so in that case, I agree. They should collect a bunch of picks from a QB needy team and move down. The Broncos might be the best option because you don't move down too far but the Bills will probably put together an enticing package that could include two 1st round picks.

I would want Nelson or Chubb regardless. The Broncos can still offer that possibility plus other picks. Trading down to #12 doesn’t interest me as much.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I put forth an argument predicated on the idea that the Jets didn't need to trade up to gamble on a QB at the top of the draft. You look at an argument where the OBVIOUS implication is that I know successful QBs frequently fall to the late 1st, early 2nd round. You look at this and you think to yourself

"I'll show this guy how dumb his argument is by pointing out how many teams got their QB's of the future by taking them later in the draft!"

Brilliant.

Yes I assume the Jets are comfortable taking any of the 3 QBS there. It'd be even more moronic of them to trade up and then cross their fingers hoping the one single guy they like will fall to them
I didn’t intend to disrespect you. I just think the Jets feel that it’s too risky to just sit at pick 6 and hope no team moves up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Giants are not contending

As Avs_19 said its time to select a successor to Eli and having a pick this high isn't a sure thing going forward no matter how crappy or mediocre the Giants are

Reactions: Voight

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

The Giants don't pick this high very often. They have a chance to pick Quenton Nelson. People say "herp deep you can't pick a Guard that high". They obviously don't watch how the league has changed. Look at the interior defensive lineman in the NFC. A bunch of savage dudes.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

I doubt the Giants would want to move down to 12. They'll move down no later than 6 so they can get Nelson or Barkley. Cleveland might be the one who's more likely to move down to 12 and get either Ward or Fitzpatrick, which allows Buffalo to draft a QB.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The Giants don't pick this high very often. They have a chance to pick Quenton Nelson. People say "herp deep you can't pick a Guard that high". They obviously don't watch how the league has changed. Look at the interior defensive lineman in the NFC. A bunch of savage dudes.
The guy it makes me think of is John Hannah. Yeah it was a long time ago but he was a Guard and worth the #4 pick. Outside a of QBs being more vital to success and not drafting kickers high, I'm not a huge believer position over talent in draft position.

Reactions: Voight

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I doubt the Giants would want to move down to 12. They'll move down no later than 6 so they can get Nelson or Barkley. Cleveland might be the one who's more likely to move down to 12 and get either Ward or Fitzpatrick, which allows Buffalo to draft a QB.
Colts hold #6. Can’t envision that the bills will have enough to go from #12 to #6 then go from #6 to #2. That would likely cost them all of their firsts, seconds, and thirds his year.

I think that the jets did call the giants. It’s the logical thing to do when trying to trade up. My gut says the giants didn’t want to drop down.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Bridgewater were all taken before Derek Carr n Jimmy G.
Funny you mention Alex Smith who was picked like 18 spots in front of Rodgers. Wentz went second overall. Trubisky and Watson look pretty good.
I guess you don't remember the likes of Blackledge, Eason, and O'Brien drafted in front of Marino.
You are omitting that Elway and Kelly were drafted ahead of Marino and in fact a team did the equivalent of trading a 1st just to move up from #4 to get the #1 pick and there may have been teams offering more. As a Bronco fan I've never regretted missing out on having Chris Hinton and Ron Solt.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Colts hold #6. Can’t envision that the bills will have enough to go from #12 to #6 then go from #6 to #2. That would likely cost them all of their firsts, seconds, and thirds his year.

I think that the jets did call the giants. It’s the logical thing to do when trying to trade up. My gut says the giants didn’t want to drop down.

My bad. I meant Giants won't drop lower than 5.

It would make sense that the Jets called the Giants first with the offer, then went to the Colts. Giants should realize now that going down to 5 won't really effect anything and just move down and get some extra picks. The Colts did and they came away with a massive haul.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I could see them do it. Ballard said he'd like to keep it but I think he also initially said that about 3. Perhaps he has a very good idea how the top 5 will shake out (very possible), but he also clearly wants to add a lot of picks this year and next. Given the right circumstances, it could happen.

I doubt something like that would go down pre-draft, but if Chubb and Nelson are both gone by 6 (which I doubt will happen but you never know) at least 1 of the top 4 guys will be left then, so a trade might make sense.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Giants are the wild card. If they don’t trade the pick you have to expect a QB. Maybe Barkley at 2 but by value alone that imo is a mistake. Also is Denver after a Qb?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Jets beater says that the Jets favor Darnold, Allen and Rosen in that order. Congrats New York..you're getting a Kyle Boller!

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Jets beater says that the Jets favor Darnold, Allen and Rosen in that order. Congrats New York..you're getting a Kyle Boller!
If we did all this to get goddamn f***ing Allen then Macaaggnan will go down as actually worse than f***ing Idzik ( or at least just as bad) and will cement his legacy as the single worst evaluator of QB talent in the history of football (It was widely reported he was solely responsible for taking Hack against the advice of his entire scouting staff, when the entirety of the NFL saw him as a 4th rounder at best).

I HATE that I feel like I'm in hot take mode and that I'm so passionate about this but that's how strongly I feel about this and after multiple DECADES of life without seeing a franchise QB I'm at my limit of tolerance with f***ing braindead GMs

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
If we did all this to get goddamn ****ing Allen then Macaaggnan will go down as actually worse than ****ing Idzik ( or at least just as bad) and will cement his legacy as the single worst evaluator of QB talent in the history of football (It was widely reported he was solely responsible for taking Hack against the advice of his entire scouting staff, when the entirety of the NFL saw him as a 4th rounder at best).

It's Rich Crimini that reported it and I agree. Trading up for Allen is just stupid. Hopefully Rosen has a fan club in the org that can convince the GM to take him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad