Proposal: Immature losses under Woodcroft mounting.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I just don't get Woody. He's shoving tulips up the result of Fridays game where the Oil didn't give it their best, had a luck lead, and basically let Rangers play exactly the game they wanted to play. He thought that performance was good and we deserved to win but "just didn't find it"

FF to yesterday and the Oilers played one of their better games of the year and he's upset with the team? I can't think this sends anything but an inconsistent message. What is he exactly upset about. yesterday the Oilers were getting jobbed by officials, got bad breaks like the Ceci own goal, the no whistle that resulted in a GA, the pick play on Nurse that resulted in the winning GA. Penalty calls being 4-0 earlier in the game helping Colorado to find their way.

Its hard to defend 4 pk's in a row and the Oilers were shorthanded a lot against a scoring club. The Oilers gave all they had for two periods and started getting outworked only in the third. But overall the effort was certainly there.

The concern is coaching. Game after game the coaches don't scheme to shut down top players. Panarin, zed had all kinds of ice in Rangers game. Mackinnon and company had it in this one.

Opponents work hard to outman McD and Drai, to blanket cover them. We do nothing of the sort and theres no evidence that its even a plan. Our lack of attention to Mackinnon specifically was the reason he had such a big impact on the game. The teams approach is for some reason to just allow that and let him have easy open ice. Not blaming just the D on this but unit play. But its not an area where much improvement is shown and its my regular observation that the players are not even given adequate schemes and game plans with respect to opponents. What do we have coaches for?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Woody is a clown, the only way he can coach is to run a 11-7, it doesnt always work, but its his go to. If that doesnt work Drai and McDavid together.

Constant line switching, but wont change up Nurse and Ceci pairing
Every forward has to blow the zone to get to the far blueline for a long pass that either gets chipped in or a icing.

He cant coach, his record is good because Mcdavid has been supernova for a year now, bloating his record.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I just don't get Woody. He's shoving tulips up the result of Fridays game where the Oil didn't give it their best, had a luck lead, and basically let Rangers play exactly the game they wanted to play. He thought that performance was good and we deserved to win but "just didn't find it"

FF to yesterday and the Oilers played one of their better games of the year and he's upset with the team? I can't think this sends anything but an inconsistent message. What is he exactly upset about. yesterday the Oilers were getting jobbed by officials, got bad breaks like the Ceci own goal, the no whistle that resulted in a GA, the pick play on Nurse that resulted in the winning GA. Penalty calls being 4-0 earlier in the game helping Colorado to find their way.

Its hard to defend 4 pk's in a row and the Oilers were shorthanded a lot against a scoring club. The Oilers gave all they had for two periods and started getting outworked only in the third. But overall the effort was certainly there.

The concern is coaching. Game after game the coaches don't scheme to shut down top players. Panarin, zed had all kinds of ice in Rangers game. Mackinnon and company had it in this one.

Opponents work hard to outman McD and Drai, to blanket cover them. We do nothing of the sort and theres no evidence that its even a plan. Our lack of attention to Mackinnon specifically was the reason he had such a big impact on the game. The teams approach is for some reason to just allow that and let him have easy open ice. Not blaming just the D on this but unit play. But its not an area where much improvement is shown and its my regular observation that the players are not even given adequate schemes and game plans with respect to opponents. What do we have coaches for?
I wish we had an Esa Tikkanen to sic on teams best players. He was really good at that. We need someone who can skate and keep up. Could Ryan McLeod be that guy?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wish we had an Esa Tikkanen to sic on teams best players. He was really good at that. We need someone who can skate and keep up. Could Ryan McLeod be that guy?
Ryan McLeod was being that guy yesterday. Good observation. Trouble with Ryan though is he lacks the tenacity that Tikk had. Tikk would be so annoying to play with. he covered so close you hope he didn't have halitosis. The knock on Ryan is he's not physical enough. has the wheels but he;s not enough of a take the man guy yet and he needs to add some man strength. I know we may not agree on this but Pulju has been playing regularly well and did on the weekend but for some reason minutes really curtailed in the game. IN a game in which Hyman was -3, McD -2 Nuge -2. Our top guys were getting exploited and we kept throwing them out there.

We had 11-6 last night and somehow our coach is playing essentially only 8 of them and wondering why we ran out of gas. Pulju saw only 8mins, Shore 7, Derek Ryan 11. Coach then wonders why top players getting tired and he played McDrai a combined 50mins yet again. Its too much, its happening nearly every game.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I'm pretty sure Woodcroft has the best record of all coaches since he has been coaching the Oilers the team is also number 1 in offense during this time as well, and considering the goaltending and defense he has had to work with I would say some of you people expectations are seriously puzzling :huh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ryan McLeod was being that guy yesterday. Good observation. Trouble with Ryan though is he lacks the tenacity that Tikk had. Tikk would be so annoying to play with. he covered so close you hope he didn't have halitosis. The knock on Ryan is he's not physical enough. has the wheels but he;s not enough of a take the man guy yet and he needs to add some man strength. I know we may not agree on this but Pulju has been playing regularly well and did on the weekend but for some reason minutes really curtailed in the game. IN a game in which Hyman was -3, McD -2 Nuge -2. Our top guys were getting exploited and we kept throwing them out there.

We had 11-6 last night and somehow our coach is playing essentially only 8 of them and wondering why we ran out of gas. Pulju saw only 8mins, Shore 7, Derek Ryan 11. Coach then wonders why top players getting tired and he played McDrai a combined 50mins yet again. Its too much, its happening nearly every game.
Agreed. McLeod needs to add a little sandpaper to his game, and maybe that will come with time and man strength. It would be interesting to see, if our coach could maybe give someone on the team (McLeod, Puljo?) an assignment of going after the other teams top player. I know in that past that certain individuals respond to something made personal for them, and it definitely can work if they buy in 100 %. I remember Kadri with the Leafs and then the Avs would make it his personal chore to harrass McDavid all game, and it definitely had an effect and success.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This team hasn’t played this immature a game in 5 years. It’s been all season long of poor starts, poor defence and poor preparation versus weak teams inserted between strong wins.

The breakout changes game to game with no coherent defensive system.

Hire Trotz now. Get the new coach bump heading into playoffs and by playoffs perhaps the team is playing the tangible Trotz defensive game and by some miracle Leon’s insane unforced turnover rate declines and his defensive game improves.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
To be fair, I don't think todays loss is on Woodcroft the goaltending was abysmal as always

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To be fair, I don't think todays loss is on Woodcroft the goaltending was abysmal as always

Another immature performance. He continually lets it happen.

2 blown 3 goal leads in 2 consecutive games and an embarrassing loss in Mtl in the past 10 days. 4 wins in 10 games.

That’s also on the coach.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He did have a choice as to which goalie would play today. And based on recent experience, there is no way Campbell should see the ice in this game, or 6 out of the next 7 that they play.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's hardly all on Woody, but sometimes old adages are true...can't fire the players, so fire the coach. Once again, we see this team run up the score on a decent opponent, pat themselves on the back, and coast into the next game. A long recurring pattern with this group, and Woody seems to be another coach unable to get the team to show up on time for games or grounded after strong performances.

He himself was bragging about 1 regulation loss in the last 16 on Thursday night, and downplaying losses that yielded loser points. And what do you know, it's now 1 regulation loss in the last 1, and no loser point to hang your hat on today. Is the team likely to stay grounded after wins when the coach is doing victory laps himself with the press?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's hardly all on Woody, but sometimes old adages are true...can't fire the players, so fire the coach. Once again, we see this team run up the score on a decent opponent, pat themselves on the back, and coast into the next game. A long recurring pattern with this group, and Woody seems to be another coach unable to get the team to show up on time for games or grounded after strong performances.

He himself was bragging about 1 regulation loss in the last 16 on Thursday night, and downplaying losses that yielded loser points. And what do you know, it's now 1 regulation loss in the last 1, and no loser point to hang your hat on today. Is the team likely to stay grounded after wins when the coach is doing victory laps himself with the press?

Certainly not all on the coach but our record clearly demonstrates his buddy buddy nice guy approach combined with his inexperienced and inconsistent game strategies with questionable player deployments all season long have resulted in a terribly immature game.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Certainly not all on the coach but our record clearly demonstrates his buddy buddy nice guy approach combined with his inexperienced and inconsistent game strategies with questionable player deployments all season long have resulted in a terribly immature game.

An immature game is a good way of putting it. Without the stabilizing presence of the veteran Kane in the top 6, poor defensive execution becomes awful. The impact of fresh blood from the minors in the form of Kostin and Desharnais, while great, is also alarming in a sense. It seems the longer you hear Woody's voice, the more your defensive acumen sinks. A minor leaguer coming in and temporarily steadying the blueline of a supposed contender isn't something that should have a chance to happen.

At this point, I don't think there's a realistic trade that can help them defensively, unless it's something nobody sees coming. O'Reilly or Toews were the best bet of improving the overall defensive posture of the team. May as well make a last ditch try for Kane, he's better than Yamamoto. Then hope you really can win games 6-5 consistently in the playoffs.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
An immature game is a good way of putting it. Without the stabilizing presence of the veteran Kane in the top 6, poor defensive execution becomes awful. The impact of fresh blood from the minors in the form of Kostin and Desharnais, while great, is also alarming in a sense. It seems the longer you hear Woody's voice, the more your defensive acumen sinks. A minor leaguer coming in and temporarily steadying the blueline of a supposed contender isn't something that should have a chance to happen.

At this point, I don't think there's a realistic trade that can help them defensively, unless it's something nobody sees coming. O'Reilly or Toews were the best bet of improving the overall defensive posture of the team. May as well make a last ditch try for Kane, he's better than Yamamoto. Then hope you really can win games 6-5 consistently in the playoffs.

Sounds like Kane will only waive to go to the Rangers.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sounds like Kane will only waive to go to the Rangers.

There's only one team in the league that can tell him it will be full out run and gun strategy for every game, and that's the Oilers. Everyone else will require at least some sort of adherence to a system. Holland should play that card and see what Patty thinks.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
There's only one team in the league that can tell him it will be full out run and gun strategy for every game, and that's the Oilers. Everyone else will require at least some sort of adherence to a system. Holland should play that card and see what Patty thinks.

Sounds like his minds made up and the trade is done. Just waiting for the Rangers to clear the cap space.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
“We have a certain standard in terms of our detail, and an adherence to structure that I didn't see a lot of tonight,” Woodcroft said. “In the last two regulation wins, we gave up two goals against. Anytime we’re flirting with four, five and six, I don't think it's to our advantage.”

We have a system Jay? Really?

Reactions: Duke74

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
“We have a certain standard in terms of our detail, and an adherence to structure that I didn't see a lot of tonight,” Woodcroft said. “In the last two regulation wins, we gave up two goals against. Anytime we’re flirting with four, five and six, I don't think it's to our advantage.”

We have a system Jay? Really?

There is no set structure or defensive system with this team and the breakout changes game to game, period to period and shift to shift.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There is no set structure or defensive system with this team and the breakout changes game to game, period to period and shift to shift.

I think "fly the zone and look for a home run pass" is the system actually, lol. Like they are coached to do that. New age "why defend, defending is so 2003 when you can ATTACK!!!" coaching nonsense.

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World
I've not liked the Woodcroft hiring from the start, but, I have to admit, I like that he has been less smug lately and therefore less bewildering. Perhaps he is waking up to the seriousness of the situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad