Proposal: Immature losses under Woodcroft mounting.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
I think he’s combined what he did well (strong system play) with the newer popular tactics (aggressive pressing and shot generation). Not a perfect coach by any means, but he’s better than he used to be when he was in favour of a more passive approach.

I still think the biggest part of it is using the roster Blake has constructed. They have a strong veteran leadership core that has built in buy in to an aggressive game. I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means but has been overrated by hindsight with how bad Chiarelli was. He had the horses to at least make the SCF with the Sharks and failed to do so. DeBoer doing it right after was doubly damning IMO

Like pretty much everyone here, I’ve soured on Woody to a degree but feel that he’s done well considering the weak D and Campbell being terrible. I’d have liked to see him be more bold with yanking the goalie earlier (most coaches wait til the game is pretty much out of reach though, unfortunately), and am not crazy about some of the play schemes / systems but also feel that it’s players being lazy or falling back on bad habits to cheat for offense, etc. I don’t care about his body language / what he says to the media at all, he’s not one to throw individual players under the bus (which seldom works anyhow and often makes things worse - see Tippett with Koskinen, and McLellan with Leon).

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I still think the biggest part of it is using the roster Blake has constructed. They have a strong veteran leadership core that has built in buy in to an aggressive game. I don’t think he’s a bad coach by any means but has been overrated by hindsight with how bad Chiarelli was. He had the horses to at least make the SCF with the Sharks and failed to do so. DeBoer doing it right after was doubly damning IMO

Like pretty much everyone here, I’ve soured on Woody to a degree but feel that he’s done well considering the weak D and Campbell being terrible. I’d have liked to see him be more bold with yanking the goalie earlier (most coaches wait til the game is pretty much out of reach though, unfortunately), and am not crazy about some of the play schemes / systems but also feel that it’s players being lazy or falling back on bad habits to cheat for offense, etc. I don’t care about his body language / what he says to the media at all, he’s not one to throw individual players under the bus (which seldom works anyhow and often makes things worse - see Tippett with Koskinen, and McLellan with Leon).
tbh I think he’s getting that Kings roster to overachieve. He’s had both successes and failures as a coach; this seems like more of the former though.

I agree with you about Woody.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I updated the thread title now that Trotz is off the table. I don’t see another coach making much of a difference outside of Q who won’t be back in the league anytime soon. Maybe Andrew Brunette.

Now this is relegated from a proposal thread to a simple bitch, moan and whine thread about Woody.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
Tell me again how many games we’ve blown / given away because his team has been woefully unprepared, used a breakout that has former NHL players scratching their heads, player deployments that aren’t working, and has us playing the most immature game in 5 years.

McDavid is having the best offensive season in 30+ years. Hyman, RNH and Draisaitl all on pace to blow away career highs.

Yet the team can’t keep the puck out of their net and it’s not all on the goalies and routinely play like their hair is on fire in their own zone pointing to a significant lack of structure.

The division / conference is weak as hell yet were barely in playoff contention.

Woody is the wrong guy. Trotz is the right guy.
Sure. Whatever you say.

Let’s fire the coach that led this team to the WCF, had the best record in the west since he took over despite a GM who can’t fill a hole of his life depended on it……

Give your head a shake.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Sure. Whatever you say.

Let’s fire the coach that led this team to the WCF, had the best record in the west since he took over despite a GM who can’t fill a hole of his life depended on it……

Give your head a shake.

I’m not sure you read this thread at all. It was a proposal to replace Woody with Trotz, not just some random Fire Woody thread.

That said, Supernova McDavid and Draisaitl led the team to the WCF when Woody ran a completely different breakout, forecheck and neutral zone setup last year than he is now.

“Best record in the West” is stats massaging bullshit to somehow prove a point. We’re actually sitting 6th in the West right now barely clinging to a playoff spot. Yesterdays home runs don’t win todays ballgames. Todays ballgames are routinely blown by Woodys Oilers.

And if you read this thread which I don’t think you have you’ll see I’ve articulated many times my rationale.

In any case Woody is a below average to average rookie coach at best, sort of like our goaltending and defence. Trotz is off the board and Woody isn’t taking this team to a Cup win anytime soon.

I too am upset at Woodcroft that Campbell isn't good at goaltending and that Cody Ceci is over his head because there aren't other options. That jerk should just improve his players already

Hope you enjoy Woodys breakout and defensive setups.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think Woodcroft has been disappointing this year. I had high hopes for him but I think hes in over his head.

That being said, I don’t know how much I put the immature loses on him.

This team has been playing down to their competition for awhile. I think the losses are more on the players and leadership core.

But I don’t have much faith in Woodcroft.

Reactions: Satoru Gojo

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I wish we had an Esa Tikkanen to sic on teams best players. He was really good at that. We need someone who can skate and keep up. Could Ryan McLeod be that guy?
McLeod may be too light for the job. I’d prefer to try Kostin in that role…good feet, good head and good strength. Also, he brings game.

Reactions: Stoneman89

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I want to see McLeod with McDavid once.
It balance lines too.

McLeod McDavid Hyman
E Kane Leon (Holloway)
Kostin Nuge Janmark
Fogele Ryan Yammer

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Woodcroft is not the worst coach in the NHL, but he also far from a top notch one.

Edmonton being one of the best team, in some regards, statistically is more a testament of Connor McDavid being the powerhouse he is than anything else.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He was a great coach last year, for some strange reason decided to switch up a bunch of systems that were working fine earlier this year, and now has gone back to his bread and butter. Earlier criticism was deserved, as is the praise he is now getting again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Oilers would have advanced if Trotz was behind their bench.

Friggin immature Woody.

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Wait if Woodcroft was the video coach for the RedWings in 2008 does that mean he has a ring?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So I’m a Trotz fan lol!! Can’t deny Woody was struggling in the first half. Second half the teams played far better, but the main praise has to go to Holland. Ekholm has been a Godsend.

That said Woody has played the cards right to get us to this point and once again like last season is showing a nice touch.

Happy to be incorrect that he’s a mediocre coach. He’s doing well with what he now has. Let’s see him take it all the way and I’ll be appropriately ecstatic!

Last edited:
Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad