Proposal: Immature losses under Woodcroft mounting.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So I’m a Trotz fan lol. Can’t deny Woody was struggling in the first half. Second half the teams played far better, but the main praise has to go to Holland. Ekholm has been a Godsend.

That said Woody has played the cards right to get us to this point and once again like last season is showing a nice touch.

Happy to be incorrect that he’s a mediocre coach. He’s doing well with what he now has. Let’s see him take it all the way and I’ll be appropriately ecstatic!
Woodys problem was he shit the bed in his first camp and preseason, he's not a bad coach hes just inexperienced in that facet of the job. Took way too long to make cuts and seemingly gave Bakersfield players a longer than necessary look. Idk if thats loyalty to old guys he coached down there or just rookie indecision but it cost this team a few steps at the start of the year.

Team went through their normal doldrums in December but I think part of the issue with woodcroft is that he's a roster mechanic. In the long run its good, because he's seen and operated on every single permutation of the lines with different personnel. In the short term that causes problems because he will try things that don't work and then the team gets into a slump.

In the long run you can find solutions to most any problem because you have already worked on a bunch of options and probably cultivated self inflicted problems you had to clean up. They put McDavid and drai on a line together against la and I was worried because if danault keeps them both slowed down you get rekt. At least separate drai was scoring vs Kopitar.

What I didn't expect was the random nuge/bjug combo totally bodying Kopitar/kempe. Him and kempe went from sort of even with drai to doing nothing and then Tmac actually chased the Kempitar/mcdrai match up because his top line stopped scoring. Danault has zero offense so Woody didn't care and I assume tmac thought Fiala third line would be the difference if he could go even with mcdrai, but kostin Ryan smoked them too and it was credits after that. The mcdrai actually caused tmac to big brain himself and then they gave up 4 5on5 goals in the elimination game. Slot was open for business and korpisalo collapsed.

Hes a much better line constructor than he gets credit for.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Woodys problem was he shit the bed in his first camp and preseason, he's not a bad coach hes just inexperienced in that facet of the job. Took way too long to make cuts and seemingly gave Bakersfield players a longer than necessary look. Idk if thats loyalty to old guys he coached down there or just rookie indecision but it cost this team a few steps at the start of the year.

Team went through their normal doldrums in December but I think part of the issue with woodcroft is that he's a roster mechanic. In the long run its good, because he's seen and operated on every single permutation of the lines with different personnel. In the short term that causes problems because he will try things that don't work and then the team gets into a slump.

In the long run you can find solutions to most any problem because you have already worked on a bunch of options and probably cultivated self inflicted problems you had to clean up. They put McDavid and drai on a line together against la and I was worried because if danault keeps them both slowed down you get rekt. At least separate drai was scoring vs Kopitar.

What I didn't expect was the random nuge/bjug combo totally bodying Kopitar/kempe. Him and kempe went from sort of even with drai to doing nothing and then Tmac actually chased the Kempitar/mcdrai match up because his top line stopped scoring. Danault has zero offense so Woody didn't care and I assume tmac thought Fiala third line would be the difference if he could go even with mcdrai, but kostin Ryan smoked them too and it was credits after that. The mcdrai actually caused tmac to big brain himself and then they gave up 4 5on5 goals in the elimination game. Slot was open for business and korpisalo collapsed.

Hes a much better line constructor than he gets credit for.
Agree with this take as well. Woody had two primary strengths - he is a players coach and he has a very good read on deployment as well. He actually counters Todd's style of coaching pretty hard because it's like playing chess against someone who is super solid but always plays the same strategies and moves over and over.

Reactions: ujju2 and Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Did the OP edit the title of this thread to make it sound less like a "fire Woody" thread or am I dreaming.

It never said Fire Woody. It said “Woody was the wrong hire and it’s time to change that.”

It was never meant to be a Fire XXXX thread but a reasoned take on why Trotz would have been the right hire. I explain all that in the OP if you’d bother to actually read it.

When Trotz was hired as GM in Nashville I changed the title as the entire premise of my thread had changed so I made it more relevant.

Either way many take this thread as a Fire Woody thread so it is whatever you want it to be.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
It never said Fire Woody. It said “Woody was the wrong hire and it’s time to change that.”

It was never meant to be a Fire XXXX thread but a reasoned take on why Trotz would have been the right hire. I explain all that in the OP if you’d bother to actually read it.

When Trotz was hired as GM in Nashville I changed the title as the entire premise of my thread had changed so I made it more relevant.

Either way many take this thread as a Fire Woody thread so it is whatever you want it to be.
So, I'm not dreaming then.
I just never noticed the change until today, probably because it wasn't on page 1.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So, I'm not dreaming then.
I just never noticed the change until today, probably because it wasn't on page 1.

No and there was another title in between too if I recall. I wanted to present why I thought Trotz was a better hire. Woody has taken a very rocky start and turned it into a dynamic finish. I’m happy things are turning out well!

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
PK needs a different look (ie more aggressive). Not sure who looks after the PK, but it looked bad versus the kings.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No, its important to call out the bipolar doomer/world is ending if its not 6-0 after the first fans.
While I didn’t agree with the thread when it was made, it was a pretty levelled take by 5 Mins and not so much a sky is falling burn the coach at the stake thing. Woody has definitely had his share of questionable decisions along the way this far but has shown to be pretty capable I believe.

Even if Trotz was never even a possibility :D

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
PK needs a different look (ie more aggressive). Not sure who looks after the PK, but it looked bad versus the kings.
I don’t like Nurse on it right now. They need to coach him up a bit. The other night when Kempe scored, Nurse was standing flat footed trying to play goalie…he needed to move towards Kempe and take the angle away or better yet, force him to pass it. He was too deep and stationary. It’s just little things that should be easily taught.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
While I didn’t agree with the thread when it was made, it was a pretty levelled take by 5 Mins and not so much a sky is falling burn the coach at the stake thing. Woody has definitely had his share of questionable decisions along the way this far but has shown to be pretty capable I believe.

Even if Trotz was never even a possibility :D

Lol thanks and yes I was big on the possibility however remote. But I’m happy to say Woody is pushing more right buttons than wrong and if McDavid’s happy then who in the hell am I to argue!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad