Proposal: Immature losses under Woodcroft mounting.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
McDrai wearing -3 today and aside from McDavid’s excellent game yesterday both have been underwhelming the latter half of this point streak.

Maybe it’s not the coach?

The lazy habits and entitled play transcend coaching with this core

I agree fully that it's the players themselves who are lazy and unmotivated, and that's been the case with this organization for 20 years running. But we saw last year what a late coach firing can do for a few months, and lots of teams have won the Cup after doing so. Who's more likely to win a Cup, unproven Woody or Trotz? Give me the best man available, I don't care if it's an unconventional approach. Are we going to trade Draisaitl's lazy ass? Nope, nor should we...unfortunately for coaches they are easy to fire and easily replaced.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Draisaitl is one of my favourite players ever but his awful defensive play this season makes me wonder. He’s never been a stalwart but at least he was putting up more than he gave up. Nowadays he’s an absolute liability, and it feels like McDavid plays a more lazy and entitled game when they’re together too
100%. But what about groupthink?

Reactions: Oilhawks

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006

Call in Trotz. Team isn’t going anywhere with Woody.

That 6 game heater happening precisely when it did saved Woody (if he was actually in danger, which is doubtful). Happened just in time to prevent a knee-jerk firing, lasted just long enough that there's no serious chance of being out of the playoffs at the deadline. I'd still bring in Trotz if it were my call, but in fairness to Woody, Campbell has blown two games in less than a week to turn the heat back up.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
That 6 game heater happening precisely when it did saved Woody (if he was actually in danger, which is doubtful). Happened just in time to prevent a knee-jerk firing, lasted just long enough that there's no serious chance of being out of the playoffs at the deadline. I'd still bring in Trotz if it were my call, but in fairness to Woody, Campbell has blown two games in less than a week to turn the heat back up.

Campbell is inconsistent yes. Woodys game planning makes it worse.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yawn

Coach isn’t getting fired. Should go in next next game, suit up for the blue line or play a two way game for the forwards?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yawn

Coach isn’t getting fired. Should go in next next game, suit up for the blue line or play a two way game for the forwards?

Maybe he could not run skillz n drillz novice level practices or coach the 150 foot chip n charge Bantam AA breakout, or play the 1-1-3 D setup which holds the blue line and worked wonders last year, or improve the PK, or have the D commit to defending the net zone and clear the shooting lanes.

Instead he wants to be everyone’s best friend, pose smugly at the microphone ad nauseum or pretend to confuse other coaches with fake pregame lines.

Sorry but he’s a massive part of the problem here along with our impotent GM.

Give this exact team to Trotz and I believe the immature losses and blown leads would be much less and we would have 10-15 more points.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Maybe he could not run skillz n drillz novice level practices or coach the 150 foot chip n charge Bantam AA breakout, or play the 1-1-3 D setup which holds the blue line and worked wonders last year, or improve the PK, or have the D commit to defending the net zone and clear the shooting lanes.

Instead he wants to be everyone’s best friend, pose smugly at the microphone ad nauseum or pretend to confuse other coaches with fake pregame lines.

Sorry but he’s a massive part of the problem here along with our impotent GM.

Give this exact team to Trotz and I believe the immature losses and blown leads would be much less and we would have 10-15 more points.

These recent blown leads and losses are entirely on the players and Ken Holland being unwilling to pay to get rid of deadweight so they can run a full roster. Honourable mentions to the officiating and of course the lovely flu bug. Woody is not an elite coach but should we say a better coach would have got them wins with better OT and SO selections? Maybe, but those are loser laments about circus time. The leads shouldn’t be blown to begin with

Reactions: Satire

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a lazy coach which translates to a lazy team. He's good for keeping things loose I guess, but that's about it.

Any kind of defensive strategy to hold a lead is pretty much non-existent, and that isn't just a "this season" thing it was true even in the playoffs last year.

When they won it was basically because they just scored more than the other team and/or took the lead late enough in a game that they couldn't screw it up and blow it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Not a fan of Woodcroft but I also don't think another coach is the solution either :confused:

It probably would help if the coach is legit like Trotz, but the optics of it would be ugly so it won't happen. Woodcroft runs a lazy ship though and an endemic feature of that is collapses like we see today against Colorado (and 3/4 games in the playoffs against them too).

No accountability, no preparation, no commitment to holding leads.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Trotz isn’t coming here. Period.

I think he would depending on the pay. The Oilers are not really dissimilar to the Caps teams he took over and then guided to a Cup, we might be more talented if anything.

The Oilers aren't going to fire a coach that just took them to a Conference Finals less than a year ago, that's all it boils down to.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Get a grip you guys. It's either plan the parade or sell the team around these parts. Woody is fine. The team made it to the WCF last year. I think they're capable of doing the same this year goaltending pending...

If the team gives up 2-3 goal leads that's on the players. Beyond that, even in this terrible last 9 games we still have a reasonable 11/18 points. Do I want to see so many OT loses? No. But if half those games turn to wins suddenly we are sitting with 13-14/18 points.

Take a breath guys. We're gonna be fine.

Reactions: Oilhawks

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
These recent blown leads and losses are entirely on the players and Ken Holland being unwilling to pay to get rid of deadweight so they can run a full roster. Honourable mentions to the officiating and of course the lovely flu bug. Woody is not an elite coach but should we say a better coach would have got them wins with better OT and SO selections? Maybe, but those are loser laments about circus time. The leads shouldn’t be blown to begin with

How many goals this week were scored directly off faceoffs due to icings off the 150 foot pass? I believe it was 5. That’s Woodys system.

How many goals due to blown and soft front zone coverage? At least 3. Woody doesn’t value or coach that style of play.

Woodys systems, deployments and his country club atmosphere are directly contributing to losses.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not a fan of Woodcroft but I also don't think another coach is the solution either :confused:
Not convinced Woody is the answer but in my mind the biggest issue has been the mismanagement of the team by the last 2 GM's. Gotten so bad now, that for parts of this year, we've been playing shorthanded, including the last 2 games.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Top guys are given way to much leeway and minutes. Connor and Leon are coasting on fumes already, no energy for defense but plenty once the puck is going the other way, they know they are playing 23 mins a night and conserve energy when on the ice instead of giving 100% and off. Coach needs to get everyone involved and then the too players wont be dead tired the last 10 mins of a game.

Reactions: Oil53

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
EDIT: Wanted to post this somewhere else.

Jay frustrates me a bit - why is Jesse not playing when they need to defend a lead?

djbard99

Feb 11, 2023
Get a grip you guys. It's either plan the parade or sell the team around these parts. Woody is fine. The team made it to the WCF last year. I think they're capable of doing the same this year goaltending pending...

If the team gives up 2-3 goal leads that's on the players. Beyond that, even in this terrible last 9 games we still have a reasonable 11/18 points. Do I want to see so many OT loses? No. But if half those games turn to wins suddenly we are sitting with 13-14/18 points.

Take a breath guys. We're gonna be fine.
Is skinner sick? We’ve played Campbell a giga ton lately

Oil53

Jun 4, 2018
Attended the Firebirds vs Condors game on Saturday.Was refreshing to witness the Condors play everyone on one minute shifts.Everyone was involved physically and mentally it seemed.Was impressed with Philips,
who looks better than a few players on the Oilers now.Kesselring is going to be on the Oil in the next year or two IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad