IMDb to close "message boards" february 20th

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Don't worry about it. But regarding the point you made....

I've literally made two posts in response to his comment before deciding it was enough. One to point out that his retort didn't make any sense, then when he blew it off with a half-hearted explanation/eye-roll, another point to clarify in greater detail exactly why I continued to think it didn't make any sense. When he blew it off again and defensively fired back with another petty remark instead of considering my reasoning, that's when it became obvious that the discussion wasn't going to meaningfully progress. I don't know why you would see that as dragging every little thing out. The only way to cut it any shorter than that would be not to hold anyone accountable in the first place. If even that is too far, then anyone can basically get away with saying anything without their irrationality at least being publicly acknowledged.

It doesn't prevent anyone from discussing IMDB while this is going on anyways.
To clarify, I'm not suggesting that you're dragging every little thing out. I was saying that these segues in the discussion can very easily go to that place once they go off-topic, especially when there are multiple people going at it. Thus, it's not just one person making two posts, but multiply that by however many people. Plus, if there's a day or more between the posts, you're thinking "oh, cool, IMDB board discussion. Oop, nope, more o/t stuff. Anyway, I don't feel strongly about it, as I was self-aware enough to realize that the thread shouldn't cater to me if I was the only one annoyed by it. But since we're now discussing it, that's my thought.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
To clarify, I'm not suggesting that you're dragging every little thing out. I was saying that these segues in the discussion can very easily go to that place once they go off-topic, especially when there are multiple people going at it. Thus, it's not just one person making two posts, but multiply that by however many people. Plus, if there's a day or more between the posts, you're thinking "oh, cool, IMDB board discussion. Oop, nope, more o/t stuff. Anyway, I don't feel strongly about it, as I was self-aware enough to realize that the thread shouldn't cater to me if I was the only one annoyed by it. But since we're now discussing it, that's my thought.
Sure, but again, I would point to accountability being a necessary part of the equation when it comes to these things. If someone says something stupid or disingenuous, it's best that somebody acknowledges it on the spot. It's the poster's responsibility not to derail discussions by being willfully unreasonable, not their responsibility to allow discussions to continue without interruption by turning a blind eye when unreasonable comments are made, IMO. Ultimately, I agree with your realization and would personally take it a step further by thinking that we should cater to what's fair rather than what's desired/expected/convenient to posters coming in here. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Sure, but again, I would point to accountability being a necessary part of the equation when it comes to these things. If someone says something stupid or disingenuous, it's best that somebody acknowledges it on the spot. It's the poster's responsibility not to derail discussions by being willfully unreasonable, not their responsibility to allow discussions to continue without interruption by turning a blind eye when unreasonable comments are made, IMO. Ultimately, I agree with your realization and would personally take it a step further by thinking that we should cater to what's fair rather than what's desired/expected/convenient to posters coming in here. But that's just me.
But is it more of a derailment if people call out the statement and it devolves into a long o/t discussion, or if people just recognize it for what it is and ignore it? Surely the former, right? It's not like anyone is convincing anyone else to change their perspective by calling it out. That's what I was getting at with it not being necessary to call out everything. Egregious things, sure. But some things can just be left alone for the sake of the discussion IMO.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
But is it more of a derailment if people call out the statement and it devolves into a long o/t discussion, or if people just recognize it for what it is and ignore it? Surely the former, right? It's not like anyone is convincing anyone else to change their perspective by calling it out. That's what I was getting at with it not being necessary to call out everything. Egregious things, sure. But some things can just be left alone for the sake of the discussion IMO.
They can be, but that doesn't mean they should be. My point was that preventing things from being derailed in favor of discussion shouldn't be the sole priority, because accountability is necessary and not pointless. Anyways, I think we understand each other now and don't need to repeat ourselves further.

Last edited:

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Gentlemen, I know this thread derailed lol, but i just wanted to say again, since it may have been lost amongst the arguing, that moviechat.org, is EXCELLENT and exactly what i was looking for. Thanks again to End on a Hinote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad