IMDb to close "message boards" february 20th

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience

I feel as though it's been a long time since any online message boards provided an overall positive or useful experience...

Reactions: Pilky01

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
IMDb gradually transitioned from a genuine movie database for fans into a marketing platform for the movie and television industry. I believe they were bought out by a big company at some point several years ago which facilitated the change. Look at the website now - movie pages are cluttered with bells and whistles and ads for the good wife.

The forums of course had to go, because they were full of people hating on celebrities. Like most people here, I miss the the good content that was there. I try not to give IMDb any clicks now.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
IMDb gradually transitioned from a genuine movie database for fans into a marketing platform for the movie and television industry. I believe they were bought out by a big company at some point several years ago which facilitated the change. Look at the website now - movie pages are cluttered with bells and whistles and ads for the good wife.

The forums of course had to go, because they were full of people hating on celebrities. Like most people here, I miss the the good content that was there. I try not to give IMDb any clicks now.

When Amazon bought it they gutted most of the old staff here and like you said shifted focus on many fronts

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
This doesn't make much sense. He's doubting that it was a joke rather than a mistake on your part in order to make himself feel better? Works better as a response to your own post, to be honest.
It does make sense. Because they were trying to "get me" by saying they didn't think what I said was true. Basically it was, and I could care less what they think. Sooo whatever they have to say to make themselves feel better :)

Kind of sad that has to be explained lol.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It does make sense. Because they were trying to "get me" by saying they didn't think what I said was true. Basically it was, and I could care less what they think. Sooo whatever they have to say to make themselves feel better :)

Kind of sad that has to be explained lol.
Makes even less sense with that explanation.

Why would anyone draw any self-gratification by denying their honesty in order to insincerely "get you"? It makes no sense to frame it that way rather than as a sincere observation that your joke didn't sound like a joke. Did he have some score to settle or something? There is no logical reason for him to feel insecure or lie about it. He's not denying something the he did, he's denying something that you did. Whether or not it's true doesn't have any bearing on him whatsoever.

It's like someone going "I don't think that random car crash we just witnessed was an accident" and someone else going "Whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better." ....... That's just random and stupid.

The fact that it's true and you don't care what he thinks is no reason to come to that conclusion either-- what does you not caring having to do with him trying to make himself feel better?

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Guys, those of us following this thread for IMDB content really don't care about this mountain of a molehill y'all are making out of this issue.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Alright, if I'm the only one annoyed by the extended off-topic foray then I will completely own that. Carry on.
I think that pointing out when retorts in an exchange are nonsensical/unfair is relevant in any discussion, personally.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
The fact that you don't care what he thinks doesn't make any sense as a reason to come to that conclusion either-- what does you not caring having to do with him trying to feel better about himself? Ironically, you saying that just comes across as being upset about something said about you (in other words, caring about it) and baselessly firing back for the sake of firing back.

I could care less what they think.

So mistake or joke? taking all bets!

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I think that pointing out when retorts in an exchange are nonsensical/unfair is relevant in any discussion, personally.
That's fair, and I agree. I just took issue with how long it went on (or maybe it was the intervals between replies that made it seem long) and think at that point it should be taken to PM, because it's usually just a couple people not wanting to back down publicly. But like I said, it seems I'm the only one that feels this way so I will accept my fate (plus I've now become what I spoke out against so I will stop replying on the matter lol).

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Makes even less sense with that explanation.

Why would anyone draw any self-gratification by denying their honesty in order to insincerely "get you"? It makes no sense to frame it that way rather than as a sincere observation that your joke didn't sound like a joke. Did he have some score to settle or something? There is no logical reason for him to feel insecure or lie about it. He's not denying something the he did, he's denying something that you did. Whether or not it's true doesn't have any bearing on him whatsoever.

It's like someone going "I don't think that random car crash we just witnessed was an accident" and someone else going "Whatever you have to say to make yourself feel better." ....... That's just random and stupid.

The fact that it's true and you don't care what he thinks is no reason to come to that conclusion either-- what does you not caring having to do with him trying to make himself feel better?
Hey if English is hard for you that's not my problem. Go read a book or something.

So mistake or joke? taking all bets!
Coolest guy on the internet right here. :laugh:

The fact that this matters so much to you is pathetic. I proved you wrong so you have to backtrack and give one-liners acting like you are right about something... I guess? All signs of someone with insecurity issues. But hey, I guess that's why you go to the internet and try to be "that guy"? I made a dumb joke. It was silly. You are WAY overreacting.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I feel like every comment you've made so far has ironically involved accusing other people of something that seems to apply to you instead. But.... okay, seems like there's no point in continuing if you're just going to refuse to engage.
That's fair, and I agree. I just took issue with how long it went on (or maybe it was the intervals between replies that made it seem long) and think at that point it should be taken to PM, because it's usually just a couple people not wanting to back down publicly. But like I said, it seems I'm the only one that feels this way so I will accept my fate (plus I've now become what I spoke out against so I will stop replying on the matter lol).
That would inform but wouldn't hold anything accountable, though. I feel like unfair public comments should be called out for being unfair publicly. I agree with you that once it becomes obvious that someone is just trying not to back down for the sake of it and it's just going to go around in circles, that's the time to stop though.

Last edited:

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
I feel like every comment you've made so far has ironically involved accusing other people of something that seems to apply to you instead. But.... okay, seems like there's no point in continuing if you're just going to refuse to engage.
That would inform but wouldn't hold anything accountable, though. I feel like unfair public comments should be called out for being unfair publicly. I agree with you that once it becomes obvious that someone is just trying not to back down for the sake of it and it's just going to go around in circles, that's the time to stop though.

That first part seems...aggressive, considering the tone of my previous replies; I've kept things very lighthearted. Chill out. I think we've hit the crux of the issue from my perspective: when the point of "going around in circles" is will be a subjective thing and everyone has their threshold, and especially when people are emotional, stopping that bicycle when it's built momentum isn't always easy. So I think off-topic stuff is best taken to PM. If it's something particularly egregious, then I agree with you that it should be called out publicly. But every little thing doesn't need to be called out publicly until everyone's gotten satisfaction - I think that's taking things too seriously for an entertainment subforum, and it takes away from the broader discussion that most of us subscribed for.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That first part seems...aggressive, considering the tone of my previous replies; I've kept things very lighthearted. Chill out. I think we've hit the crux of the issue from my perspective: when the point of "going around in circles" is will be a subjective thing and everyone has their threshold, and especially when people are emotional, stopping that bicycle when it's built momentum isn't always easy. So I think off-topic stuff is best taken to PM. If it's something particularly egregious, then I agree with you that it should be called out publicly. But every little thing doesn't need to be called out publicly until everyone's gotten satisfaction - I think that's taking things too seriously for an entertainment subforum, and it takes away from the broader discussion that most of us subscribed for.
Err... the first part wasn't directed at you, it was directed at Lancer. That's why it's above your quote.

Last edited:

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Coolest guy on the internet right here. :laugh:

The fact that this matters so much to you is pathetic. I proved you wrong so you have to backtrack and give one-liners acting like you are right about something... I guess? All signs of someone with insecurity issues. But hey, I guess that's why you go to the internet and try to be "that guy"? I made a dumb joke. It was silly. You are WAY overreacting.

It doesnt matter to me at all, I guess you are projecting with that, you never proved me wrong, didnt even engage in discussion, and I didnt backtrack

The only part you were right about was your first comment

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Lol whoops. My apologies, sincerely. That's why it seemed so out of place :/.
Don't worry about it. But regarding the point you made....

I've literally made two posts in response to his comment before deciding it was enough. One to point out that his retort didn't make any sense, then when he blew it off with a half-hearted explanation/eye-roll, another point to clarify in greater detail exactly why I continued to think it didn't make any sense. When he blew it off again and defensively fired back with another petty remark instead of considering my reasoning, that's when it became obvious that the discussion wasn't going to meaningfully progress. I don't know why you would see that as dragging every little thing out. The only way to cut it any shorter than that would be not to hold anyone accountable in the first place. If even that is too far, then anyone can basically get away with saying anything without their irrationality at least being publicly acknowledged.

It doesn't prevent anyone from discussing IMDB while this is going on anyways.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad