IMDb to close "message boards" february 20th

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
sad to see. I liked skimming through the boards after a movie. I think they will be back in some form. imo it will probably be facebook comments. less trolls to catch. they did say they are working on a new solution for the public to communicate

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
sad to see. I liked skimming through the boards after a movie. I think they will be back in some form. imo it will probably be facebook comments. less trolls to catch. they did say they are working on a new solution for the public to communicate

yeah i was trying to finish band of brothers on time lol

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I went to "awake" for the boards on friday with a few former and current staff of IMDB(for those who do not know it got its start here in the UK) and sounds more and more that bullying and other things played a large part in the decision. On-line bullying can get bad(as we know and just ask any mod on this site)--it will be hard to replace those boards

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Like a few others mentioned, I too didn't even know there was a message board on imdb.
Are there any good movie message boards you guys can recommend?
My preference would be movies before the year 2000
thanks!

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I always liked the message boards for ambiguous movies like The Prestige or The Fountain, it was always interesting to see what other peoples' reactions were.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
My goto message board was Rotten Tomatoes for a while (they used to have tons of colorful personalities, weird running in-jokes and antics (one time they accidentally incited a forum-wide invasion/board-war with a neo-nazi forum), and ultra-critical snobs/curmudgeons (which I appreciate), but they died a slow, hard-to-watch death as well.

I pretty much got all of my interest/exposure in movies from a couple of guys on that board and Kihei on this board.

Sad to see things move in this direction. The Reddit format just doesn't do it for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tkachuk4MVP

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I always liked the message boards for ambiguous movies like The Prestige or The Fountain, it was always interesting to see what other peoples' reactions were.

Used to post on the Prestige boards all the time, dont know what you mean its ambiguous though

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
My goto message board was Rotten Tomatoes for a while (they used to have tons of colorful personalities, weird running in-jokes and antics (one time they accidentally incited a forum-wide invasion/board-war with a neo-nazi forum), and ultra-critical snobs/curmudgeons (which I appreciate), but they died a slow, hard-to-watch death as well.

I pretty much got all of my interest/exposure in movies from a couple of guys on that board and Kihei on this board.

Sad to see things move in this direction. The Reddit format just doesn't do it for me.

Oh man, I loved the Rotten Tomatoes board back in the day. I posted on there for years. Was sad to see what happened to that place, there was a mass exodus of great users at one point that crippled it, and the forum engine changes were the nail in the coffin.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Oh man, I loved the Rotten Tomatoes board back in the day. I posted on there for years. Was sad to see what happened to that place, there was a mass exodus of great users at one point that crippled it, and the forum engine changes were the nail in the coffin.
It almost felt like the owners of Rotten Tomatoes looked at the forum and went "Oh god, these people are freaks! We don't want our image to have anything to do with this! But the board is so active that we can't just shut it down, can we? I know!-- Let's indirectly drive everyone out by making the forums impossible to find or login to, and if they make it past that, riddled with bugs that make it impossible to use!" :laugh:

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
There is more of a back story to why Amazon killed these boards. If the papers in the UK are to be believed there were multiple lawsuits and other fun stuff that were linked to what people were doing and sharing on some of the smaller boards. Posters were listing torrent sites and other stuff and in one case a couple of boards were sort of stalking a celeb from city to city for awhile. There was a lot of crazy stuff going on the board some days

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
It almost felt like the owners of Rotten Tomatoes looked at the forum and went "Oh god, these people are freaks! We don't want our image to have anything to do with this! But the board is so active that we can't just shut it down, can we? I know!-- Let's indirectly drive everyone out by making the forums impossible to find or login to, and if they make it past that, riddled with bugs that make it impossible to use!" :laugh:
Kind of like how HF is now.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I saw some lesser-known actors reply to people on some of the boards. It was fun to interact with them sometimes.

This makes me wonder if Disney forced IMDB to shut these down because of how horrible The Last Jedi was and how they cried about it afterwards.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Guilty pleasure to browse those things after I watch a new movie. Just to see what interesting tidbits I might come across, but also to laugh at the dregs of society that pop up therein. It's like a timewarp to the AOL heyday, with today's snark levels.

That is what I do but I have moved to Reddit, watch a movie that you really like? Go on to Reddit so all the movie experts can tell you why that movie sucks!! That being said I always find Reddit a decent place to read up on TV shows, better discussions on most of those subreddits

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
For all the stupid shit written on those boards, it was useful to me and pretty much the only reason I visited.

I watched Parallels on Netflix and went to IMDB boards for the movie and noticed there was plans to make a TV series (it was originally a failed pilot to TV movie). This was 1 1/2 years ago. Since there's no IMDB forums with that guy who found the original information, I haven't found out any news since. I assume it's cancelled but who knows, the show could have changed names or still be in development.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I saw some lesser-known actors reply to people on some of the boards. It was fun to interact with them sometimes.

This makes me wonder if Disney forced IMDB to shut these down because of how horrible The Last Jedi was and how they cried about it afterwards.

You mean like, Disney knew beforehand how awful it will be and had IMDB close their message boards almost a year before the movie came out in anticipation?

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA

Haha, seriously. Wouldn't surprise me if that was the case, as there were some nutty characters and threads on that board. Step one was to insert a moderator to crack down on things. Not surprisingly, everyone hated him and things slowly went downhill from there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad