IMDb to close "message boards" february 20th

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
IMDb is the world’s most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb’s message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb’s message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic.

http://www.imdb.com/board/announcement

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I have used imdb frequently for around 20 years. I tried a few times to use their message boards, but it's never been a great interface, nor any meaningful discussion in my experiences.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
The message boards have been ok at answering some questions I've had over the years about certain films, but I rarely have any.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I feel like they have/had their place, and in theory would be a good idea to get or share info on more obscure films or actors, but the traffic has seemed to diminish significantly in recent years. Still would prefer them to be there than not, but I can certainly understand the decision.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Guilty pleasure to browse those things after I watch a new movie. Just to see what interesting tidbits I might come across, but also to laugh at the dregs of society that pop up therein. It's like a timewarp to the AOL heyday, with today's snark levels.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
Guilty pleasure to browse those things after I watch a new movie. Just to see what interesting tidbits I might come across, but also to laugh at the dregs of society that pop up therein. It's like a timewarp to the AOL heyday, with today's snark levels.

This. I'm kind of disappointed.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
No doubt it's a cesspool in most places but it's been helpful to me and fun to discuss some shows with others.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I have used imdb frequently for around 20 years. I tried a few times to use their message boards, but it's never been a great interface, nor any meaningful discussion in my experiences.

go to the John Wayne board for nasty debates

I post all the time on different boards there(love the 6 degree of separation threads)---but for the past few years their boards have been nothing but attack points

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah that interface was straight out 1990's internet days.

Like YouTube comments, I used to read them until I realized all they did was infuriate me and astound me at the stupidity of the average internet user, so I just avoided them altogether for the past decade.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
I'm mad. I even go through my profile and check to see if anyone responded to any of my posts when bored. I am often bored.

:(

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
This is a great opportunity for the owners of HFboards to try and expand its base by inviting all IMDB message board users over to the Entertainment board. :sarcasm:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is a great opportunity for the owners of HFboards to try and expand its base by inviting all IMDB message board users over to the Entertainment board. :sarcasm:

Exchanged emails with a buddy who used to be a UK mod/admin on IMDB and he says there has been a lot of trouble behind the scenes in dealing with not only abusive posters but posters posting libelist stuff and exchanging illegal streams. IMDB has been hit with several lawsuite over the last few years and he speculated that the decision to end the board may have something to do with that. SAG-AFTRA have pending lawsuits against IMDB that are partially due to the boards. My buddy (who stepped down about a year ago) said that one reason why he stepped down after being involved with the moderation of the site was due to the fact he was starting to deal with over 1000 complaints a day--he was a volunteer who gained nothing from what he did

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I don't like this news.

It was a good place for shows that have an older and more cult following that you cannot really find any other discussion groups

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Typical. Instead of fixing the problem, simply shut it down and throw the baby out with the bathwater. They could revamp the software and enlist moderators to strictly enforce the rules, but that's not as easy as simply calling it quits and closing the door to everyone, including all of the movie lovers who are looking for good discussion.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Typical. Instead of fixing the problem, simply shut it down and throw the baby out with the bathwater. They could revamp the software and enlist moderators to strictly enforce the rules, but that's not as easy as simply calling it quits and closing the door to everyone, including all of the movie lovers who are looking for good discussion.

They'll do all that and bring back the feature as part of their paid membership.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I actually like the imdb boards, but it's pretty impossible to have a meaningful discussion about a random film like say "Malice" or "The Score" when most posts were made anywhere from three to seven years ago. There are literally just too many options to consolidate any sort of traffic.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad