News Article: Ilya Kovalchuk Reportedly Wants To Join The Rangers

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
Rangers shouldn't even entertain the idea of this. A type of move like this, is the antithesis of their youth movement they've been slowly shifting towards.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Don't be[t] on it. (regarding playing defense)

he was improved while he was with us, and showed he could work in a system.

but yeah, don't see this trade happening. unless you wanna give us skjei or miller....

fyi, we're not planning on keeping him. he has no interest in playing for us. he wants to compete NOW. we're not in a position to give him that. MAYBE he'll be convinced to play until the deadline, but no way we're keeping him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
btw, for the record..id take Ilya Kovalchuk for free on this team...sign him as a free agent for a year...and then trade Nash and not worry too much about the loss of firepower up front.

That is about the only thing I would do. I think it would be good for Buchnevich's development to have another Russian on the team. I bet he would feel more comfortable.

Other than that, no thank you.

THE BIG WHISTLE

Heave-Ho
Feb 16, 2012
By the beach

but yeah, don't see this trade happening. unless you wanna give us skjei or miller....

fyi, we're not planning on keeping him. he has no interest in playing for us. he wants to compete NOW. we're not in a position to give him that. MAYBE he'll be convinced to play until the deadline, but no way we're keeping him.
How about Hayes?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

Uh, no thanks.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It totally depends.

I want us to completely rebuild, but if not, why not? I'd prefer his presence on the team to Nash's.

He has a really good shot, the type of shot that no one else on the team has. He can score from the perimeter whenever he wants. Could really help our PP, and he was much better this season with SKA. Might've been the best player in the KHL this past season.

He's played on a line with Pasha before, so there's some familiarity, and could help Bereglazov adjust to NA.

No one's going to give the Devils much for him. Maybe a mid-round pick, and they'll obviously take it because a free asset is better than not getting a free asset. It just depends on the contract. I'm not giving him more than 3 years, and certainly nothing more than like 4M. 3 years 12 million is the most I'd spend. If he's looking for like 6 years 36 million, he can go elsewhere.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I'd do it if it didn't take much to get him from NJ, but there's no way NJ agrees to that.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Him only wanting to play for the Rangers won't bring his price down. I remember St Louis only wanting to be traded to us, and we ended up losing 2 first rounders and Callahan for 1 year of St Louis.

Hockey Gamer

Mar 2, 2015
It should be a no brainer he wants to join the Rangers. He knows this is the place where stars go to die :shakehead:laugh:

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Is there anything to suggest that he would be anything more than a slightly better Ales Kotalik at this point of his career?

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Is there anything to suggest that he would be anything more than a slightly better Ales Kotalik at this point of his career?

Meh, I'm as skeptical of this as anyone but from reading these boards it seems like Kovalchuk is still a very good player in the KHL. Kotalik was never close to Kovalchuk. I remember having arguments on these boards with people who were convinced Kotalik was going to be great with the Rangers because he had a "cannon of a shot." :laugh:

That being said, no thanks.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Unless he's willing to sign for 2 years at $3M max, I wouldn't do it. I haven't seen much of him since he left for the KHL, only highlights, but I'm sure he would have one of the better shots on our team, still.
As for the Devils not trading him to us, there are always ways to get around that (3-way trade). As long as we don't give up much (3rd rounder) and a B level prospect, I'd consider it for the term mentioned above.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There seems to be this perception that Kovalchuk sucks.

I really don't think thats the case. He had the best KHL season of his career last season. He was excellent. I don't see why he wouldn't be a 60-70 point player in the NHL.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
There seems to be this perception that Kovalchuk sucks.

I really don't think thats the case. He had the best KHL season of his career last season. He was excellent. I don't see why he wouldn't be a 60-70 point player in the NHL.

The one thing that makes me hopeful of this happening, is him playing for a team that uses an NA-sized rink

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006

He just tore up the KHL this season. If he's motivated, then he could be a big get.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i mean, don't get me wrong, GMs will argue "the guy hasn't played in the NHL level in a few years" and "he's old" and "he's got injuries" to bring his price down, but if shero can make a bidding war happen between GMs, his price isn't gonna be THAT low. it's all about perception at this point on our end.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
My first thought was that if you trade Nash for assets, you can bring in Kovalchuk to fill his spot in the lineup as a 2nd line scoring winger. Would have to be a cheap deal though. If you can get him for 5m cap hit that saves 2.8 mil over Nash's deal.

Would be possible if he were a free agent, but he has to be traded by the Devils so I see very little chance he comes here.

Don't even think Gorton would be interested.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
My first thought was that if you trade Nash for assets, you can bring in Kovalchuk to fill his spot in the lineup as a 2nd line scoring winger. Would have to be a cheap deal though. If you can get him for 5m cap hit that saves 2.8 mil over Nash's deal.

Would be possible if he were a free agent, but he has to be traded by the Devils so I see very little chance he comes here.

Don't even think Gorton would be interested.

I don't think he would be interested either. I think he has a firm vision on the direction he wants this roster to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad