Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk coming to USA to meet with NHL teams (unknown if he still signing with NYR)

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Who knows... he was coasting the last 5 yrs in the KHL. He was getting injections during the 2012 cup run for a bad back. He'll be getting checked for the first time in half a decade I'm not sure anyone knows how he's gonna be.
Straight to LTIR :D

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Man, Kovalchuk could sure instantly make a difference for Calgary

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Kovalchuk
Mangiapane-Backlund-Monahan
Frolik-Shore-Versteeg

the only team Ilya Kovalchuk plays for is Ilya Kovalchuk

He has played for the Atlanta Thrashers, New Jersey Devils, and SKA St. Petersberg.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I'm
They can afford him with JT, don't worry.

Lee-JT-Bailey
Ladd/Kovalchuk-Barzal-Eberle
Ladd/Kovalchuk-Beauviller-Ho-Sang
Prince-Cizikas-Clutterbuck

oh boy :)

Pretty sure Lee is a gonner for a top 4

and Kovy would probably do better on the top line. not sure why people (not just you) are putting him on second line. A person that leads an entire professional league in scoring is a top 3 or is everyone saying that any KHL player is top 6 or below?

contract - I think a 2-3 year..maybe 4 year max contract is fairly safe. He just turned 35.

To put it into context..Marleau signed his contract at age 37. He will be 39 when the season starts and he's still pretty damn good. I personally think Kovy is better.

I'm pretty sure he'll end up with the Islanders. Isles have roughly 32 million coming off the books and that is not including the cap increase to between 78-82 million which brings the potential cap free space up to 40 million.

He's probably looking at LA because well, LA is a cool city to be a part of if you are a celeb and have money

Florida and Dallas because of the great taxes

Boston...I'm not sure? For the Lobster?

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I hope Dallas is able to land him. We need scoring help and having another Russian mentor doesn’t hurt.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
It is funny that some Devils fans are bringing out the "all about the money" argument when I said the same thing when he signed with NJ over LA in the first place but was given numerous reasons why that wasn't the case when, obviously, it was.

Not knocking Kovalchuk for it either: the final NJ offer was for a lot more. Get paid while you can.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
It is funny that some Devils fans are bringing out the "all about the money" argument when I said the same thing when he signed with NJ over LA in the first place but was given numerous reasons why that wasn't the case when, obviously, it was.

Not knocking Kovalchuk for it either: the final NJ offer was for a lot more. Get paid while you can.

In the end, how can anyone blame someone for getting paid. He already walked away from a ton of money which he will probably regret at some future point in his life if not already.This could be the last contract he signs. Can’t blame a guy for not wanting to worry about money for the rest of his life.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
In the end, how can anyone blame someone for getting paid. He already walked away from a ton of money which he will probably regret at some future point in his life if not already.This could be the last contract he signs. Can’t blame a guy for not wanting to worry about money for the rest of his life.

As I said, I'm not trashing him for it. I thought LA had the brighter future over NJ when he chose to sign there, but the Kings weren't close to the Devils offer. He got to a SCF in NJ so, in hindsight, you can't trash the decision.

Reactions: Klaus3154

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think he could demand about $5-6M. I don't see him signing a vast multi-year deal, though. Most likely 2-3 years.
Agree with this 100%. A 2-3 year deal for 5 mill a year is what I see happening. Though some team may go overboard and give him 6 mill a year.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Frolik-Shore-Versteeg

He has played for the Atlanta Thrashers, New Jersey Devils, and SKA St. Petersberg.

Monahan as 3rd line RW? What's that about?

Not being a troll, this is a surprise to me.

Reactions: Jets88

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018

Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Frolik-Shore-Versteeg

wait, you seriously are putting bennett with gaudreau, and demoting monahan to the third line? smh

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think San Jose will target Kovalchuk if they strike out on Tavares. They were linked to him last year when he was considering a return, and Peter DeBoer is very familiar with him. He also fits the type of player that San Jose needs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I'm

Pretty sure Lee is a gonner for a top 4

and Kovy would probably do better on the top line. not sure why people (not just you) are putting him on second line. A person that leads an entire professional league in scoring is a top 3 or is everyone saying that any KHL player is top 6 or below?

contract - I think a 2-3 year..maybe 4 year max contract is fairly safe. He just turned 35.

To put it into context..Marleau signed his contract at age 37. He will be 39 when the season starts and he's still pretty damn good. I personally think Kovy is better.

I'm pretty sure he'll end up with the Islanders. Isles have roughly 32 million coming off the books and that is not including the cap increase to between 78-82 million which brings the potential cap free space up to 40 million.

He's probably looking at LA because well, LA is a cool city to be a part of if you are a celeb and have money

Florida and Dallas because of the great taxes

Boston...I'm not sure? For the Lobster?

Closest of these teams that actually have a shot of winning.

Marchand Bergeron XXX
XXX Krejci Pasta

Give Kovi the choice of which of those spots he wants and fill in the other with DeBrusk, Donato, Bjork or Heinen. Regardless, with Backes also in the top 9 mix, really makes the Bruins more than a one line team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad