Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk coming to USA to meet with NHL teams (unknown if he still signing with NYR)

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I hope not.
They don't need a "me first" kind of player to poison those kids.

Even if NYR are in a rebuild mode, I don't think they want that for very long time sort of like Yankees did a quick retool. If Tavares joins NYR then Kovy may be tempted.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
And yet you won't see better free agents touring the country like he does.

Has nothing to do with him being Russian, by the way, before someone jumps down my throat about that. All about his ego.

Might have something to do with the fact that he hasn't lived in the US in years - at least I don't think he has. :dunno:

Other notable FAs can just stay at home and watch competing GMs back a dump truck full of money on their driveway. Kovalchuk's in a different situation where he's arranging these meetings with teams that want to sign him.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Even if NYR are in a rebuild mode, I don't think they want that for very long time sort of like Yankees did a quick retool. If Tavares joins NYR then Kovy may be tempted.

I don't think you'll find many teams that define "retool" as "sign that 35-year old winger who's been out of the league for years". Even if that winger is Ilya Kovalchuk. :laugh:

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
I remember Devils and kings fans being frustrated with his ass. He didn't sign with the kings in 2012 and it worked out great for them. Hope he doesn't choose LA.

He didn't end up signing until some time in late July or August, IIRC. Took forever deciding between the two franchises and essentially held both hostage during the active period in free agency.

For LA's sake I too hope he doesn't pick you guys.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
He didn't end up signing until some time in late July or August, IIRC. Took forever deciding between the two franchises and essentially held both hostage during the active period in free agency.

For LA's sake I too hope he doesn't pick you guys.
You know how many times I checked my phone on July 4th while I was at a beach party because his agent said he was due to sign any day! There was so many rumors coming out and I was trying to keep up and I had no wifi lol. The amount of time his agent was quoted "he's sleeping on it" made me hate that saying. :laugh:

It was a nightmare for both franchises. Never forget Kovalgate.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
There is a group--or one dude--that used to put trading cards of the opposing team in the urinals for nearly every game.

Regardless, he chose a significantly larger amount of money on the initial deal with New Jersey than what Lombardi was offering. At that point in time, the refrain from the majority of Devils fans was that he didn't pick New Jersey because of the much larger deal but rather because, you know, Jersey.

I will admit it will be something else if he actually signs with the Kings 8 years later. Dodged a bullet the first time and are apparently tempting fate again.
It's ironic that, despite that, the Devils and the Kings faced each other in the playoffs not terribly long after the signing.

I'd say LA did well to avoid signing him. The Devils are still paying off his recapture fee until 2025 or some shit.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
It's ironic that, despite that, the Devils and the Kings faced each other in the playoffs not terribly long after the signing.

I'd say LA did well to avoid signing him. The Devils are still paying off his recapture fee until 2025 or some ****.
Lol it’s only 250k

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
And for reference, you make how much a year?

If you're comparing an NHL team operation to a dude with a 9 to 5 then that's like the equivalent of 25 bucks a year. Kovalchuk dragging them to a cup final probably paid for all of it.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I keep seeing the Rangers as one the teams he’ll end up on but if they’re in rebuild why? Wouldn’t he want to go to a legit playoff team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
So do any teams that sign Kovy have to give compensation to the Devils?

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Kovy will sign where ever his hot wife, Nikol tells him. I guarantee she'll only have him sign somewhere close to either Hollywood or New York so they can be close to the glitz and glamour of the fashion/modelling/celebrity world.

HIS WIFE = HOF HOCKEY WIFE, POSSIBLE GOAT.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
And yet you won't see better free agents touring the country like he does.

Has nothing to do with him being Russian, by the way, before someone jumps down my throat about that. All about his ego.
GM interviews as many potential draftees as he can: Doing what's best for his interest.
Player meeting as many GMs as he can: All about ego.

Makes total sense.

EDIT: Oh, and if I'm any Euro player leaving home and a league I'm successful in to come to North America, after seeing what happened with Shipachyov... you are damn right I'm going to visit every team I can to make sure I end up where I think I'll be best used and treated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad