GDT: IIHF WHC: Time to close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Klefbom was being played as the team's pretty clear #1 in terms of minutes by like the half way point of 16-17. It's just important to distinguish between being a team's #1 defenseman and being an actual #1 defenseman.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
So we could have made an equal or better team with all the people who stayed home. Blah.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
What an indifferent and uninspired bunch we sent over there this year. If it wasn't for Mac-D we would probably have gotten hammered by Norway.

I felt embarrassed in watching this effort.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Goaltending a huge issue this year.

It doesnt matter how good your team is, when you only allow 16 shots against the swiss and you lose and you allow 3 your not winning any game.
Even the Canadian Olympic team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm shocked at how Peters managed to get no depth scoring from this group. He got the best 2nd line in the league last season from the Islanders. Lots of other skilled guys. He was going full McLellan mixing stuff up.

So glad all the meaningful hockey is over from an Oilers fan perspective.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I'm shocked at how Peters managed to get no depth scoring from this group. He got the best 2nd line in the league last season from the Islanders. Lots of other skilled guys. He was going full McLellan mixing stuff up.
the guy doesn't know how to run a bench.
it was infuriating to watch.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Sucks that the core of our team was the core of Canada's team and we sucked. Can't be good for morale.

Good that mcd and nuge built more chemistry though.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Honestly our guys shouldn't even come to this tourny. It's a B class tourny where we can't even find an nhl starting goalie to represent Team Canada in net. I'm sure they wanted a pick me up after such a disappointing season but they probably feel even worse now.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
How many games did you watch this WHC? Because one (surprising I guess) fact was that Larsson did the break out alot.

This was something that I wanted to bring up before for discussion. To me this tourmament literally confirms thats Larsson has been instructed to defer break outs in Edm. Because he did it better in NJD and he is doing it way better in the national team.

Larsson was very good at breakouts in Jersey which was why Chua wanted him in Edmonton. His first year as an Oiler he was getting the puck out to the forwards pretty good also.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Not much of an effort by the Canadian squad, while neither team was engaging much physically at least the Americans were skating out there. Other than a couple of players, the majority of Team Canada was playing like they just wanted to get the hell out of Denmark.

Pretty disappointing end to the tournament for McDavid and RNH, IMO they saved their worst game for last. McDavid at least had some chances, but there was absolutely zero intensity from him. For a guy wearing the 'C', I was expecting more than what I saw today. Bronze medal or no, it's still a damn medal. As for RNH, he was pretty much invisible. I can't think of a single shot from him today that was dangerous. Looked like "OK with losing" RNH out there.

Nurse was kinda there, I guess. If he was hoping to use this tournament as a springboard to fruitful contract negotiations, he failed.

And why Calgary scampered to hire Andrew Peters, I have no idea. He makes vanilla look like living on the ragged edge in comparison.

Oh well. Best of luck to Larsson today, hope he at least can finish off what was a terrible year personally for him on a high note.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Larsson was very good at breakouts in Jersey which was why Chua wanted him in Edmonton. His first year as an Oiler he was getting the puck out to the forwards pretty good also.
He always had pretty decent even strength assist stats as well.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
International ice sucks. Very few Canadian coaches have figured it out imo. They always take what the defence gives them (the point) instead of forcing the play into the middle. They did score on some point shots, but overall they're so far out that by the time shot gets off the other team has 3-4 guys in the shooting path. Also the wingers break out so wide, its impossible to beat a defender wide. McDavid's transition game is basically neutralized because he's way out at the wall and the defenders are 30 feet away from him in the middle of the ice.

I don't know why they don't hire coaches who coach on international ice for tournaments played on international ice. They still should've beat the Swiss though, that was just a bullshit game against a hot goalie where everything went right for the underdog.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad