GDT: IIHF WHC: Time to close thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Big ice just slows the game down. Makes everybody have to travel a longer distance to get to an actual danger area.

Continues to be baffling to me that WHC fans believe that international ice favours speed when in reality all it does is make everybody slower.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
International ice sucks. Very few Canadian coaches have figured it out imo. They always take what the defence gives them (the point) instead of forcing the play into the middle. They did score on some point shots, but overall they're so far out that by the time shot gets off the other team has 3-4 guys in the shooting path. Also the wingers break out so wide, its impossible to beat a defender wide. McDavid's transition game is basically neutralized because he's way out at the wall and the defenders are 30 feet away from him in the middle of the ice.

I don't know why they don't hire coaches who coach on international ice for tournaments played on international ice. They still should've beat the Swiss though, that was just a bull**** game against a hot goalie where everything went right for the underdog.

Except Peters won Gold in Russia.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not much of an effort by the Canadian squad, while neither team was engaging much physically at least the Americans were skating out there. Other than a couple of players, the majority of Team Canada was playing like they just wanted to get the hell out of Denmark.

Pretty disappointing end to the tournament for McDavid and RNH, IMO they saved their worst game for last. McDavid at least had some chances, but there was absolutely zero intensity from him. For a guy wearing the 'C', I was expecting more than what I saw today. Bronze medal or no, it's still a damn medal. As for RNH, he was pretty much invisible. I can't think of a single shot from him today that was dangerous. Looked like "OK with losing" RNH out there.

Nurse was kinda there, I guess. If he was hoping to use this tournament as a springboard to fruitful contract negotiations, he failed.

And why Calgary scampered to hire Andrew Peters, I have no idea. He makes vanilla look like living on the ragged edge in comparison.

Oh well. Best of luck to Larsson today, hope he at least can finish off what was a terrible year personally for him on a high note.

Something rotten in Denmark?

I watched 10mins of this whole tournament. Glad not to have wasted any of my time.

I did read RNH comments after the Swiss game loss and was put off by that. "Would've been nice to get some PP's and thats what decides a lot of the games"

FFS this is Canada against Switzerland he's talking about. What a lay down attitude just chalking the result up to getting less PP's.

That would be like Soccer world cup play and Germany playing Canada and blaming a loss on not getting the free kicks..

Frankly I wish Nuge said nothing instead of that shit after the Swiss loss.

Just on boxcars a team that got blown out by Finland, beat handily by the Swiss, and taken apart by the US probably has more wrong with it than officiating. This team barely got by Latvia.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

I watched 10mins of this whole tournament. Glad not to have wasted any of my time.

I did read RNH comments after the Swiss game loss and was put off by that. "Would've been nice to get some PP's and thats what decides a lot of the games"

FFS this is Canada against Switzerland he's talking about. What a lay down attitude just chalking the result up to getting less PP's.

That would be like Soccer world cup play and Germany playing Canada and blaming a loss on not getting the free kicks..

Frankly I wish Nuge said nothing instead of that **** after the Swiss loss.

Just on boxcars a team that got blown out by Finland, beat handily by the Swiss, and taken apart by the US probably has more wrong with it than officiating. This team barely got by Latvia.

You can tell you only watched 10 mins, cause your spewing false facts.......

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can tell you only watched 10 mins, cause your spewing false facts.......

Just saying the scorelines were shit by Canada in this tourney. Take out the Korea and Denmark blowouts and Canada struggled to get much in this tourney going 4-4 in all the other games. Pretty pathetic results. We lost twice to the USA, lol. We lost to Switzerland, got blown out by Finland. Those are bad scorelines, period.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Just saying the scorelines were **** by Canada in this tourney. Take out the Korea and Denmark blowouts and Canada struggled to get much in this tourney going 4-4 in all the other games. Pretty pathetic results. We lost twice to the USA, lol. We lost to Switzerland, got blown out by Finland. Those are bad scorelines, period.

Pretty hard to win with a goalie with a 800 save %

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Think lots ended up being off with this team. Clearly goaltending was deflating, very early. We finally got some goaltending in this last game, but the skaters were not interested.

Just a lousy tournament showing in the end. Team looked decent on paper, aside from the goalies, but disappointing showing from many along with the expected results from the goalies.

Sucks to see McDavid/Nuge cap off their tournament with this poor game. Did well most of the way though.

Not sure why some are so intent on not letting OIlers fans take this as an opportunity to bash the future flames coach :) I'm still not impressed with his line juggling, he seemed lost throughout the tournament.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Big ice just slows the game down. Makes everybody have to travel a longer distance to get to an actual danger area.

Continues to be baffling to me that WHC fans believe that international ice favours speed when in reality all it does is make everybody slower.
I’m not sure anybody really believes this anymore. I think the Socchi Olympics busted the myth for good. A lot was made then how the weaker teams like Latvia just collapsed on their own net and built a wall in front of their goal with their players. It was nice to hear Ferraro and Miller talk in this tournament about how the smaller, older rinks like Buffalo and Boston hade the more offensive games back in the eighties.

Reactions: Aerrol

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
goaltending was a problem but Peters didn't get the most out of his players other than McDavid and Parayko and maybe Nuge

the rest were passengers and that's on the coach

Team Canada lost to some no-name Swiss goalie and Keith Kincaid...like come on

Reactions: booyakasha

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

Frankly I wish Nuge said nothing instead of that **** after the Swiss loss.

c'mon man, they outshot the swiss 18-1 in the 3rd period, i wouldn't call that getting beat handily. great swiss goaltending and poor canadian goaltending cost them that game. for someone who just stated that he only watched 10 min of the entire tournament, you're sure making alot of definative statements about the tournament. maybe actually watch the games before commenting.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Honestly, its the same story we have been seeing in Edmonton. Key players on our team find it hard to be motivated on a consistent basis. And when he goalie doesnt hold the fort till they wake up things go sideways.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Canada has trouble with perennial powerhouse Latvia so it’s not a big surprise they lost to the Swiss.
Many teams have trouble with Latvia. They have made a trade out of closing down opponents and relying on getting a lucky goal here and there. They work a strong system with no-names but the sum of all can shut down top teams.

Add to that that there are no consequences for diving in WHC, and then watch a game like Swe-Lat (which was close) where they got probably five BS PPs. Officiating has been awful this tournament.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is always a “meh” tournament for me. We win, great, we lose and I don’t particularly care one way or another. It’s far from best on best. Also Canada does t win Gold a Bronze doesn’t matter one bit. Your just the second best loser.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Yeah. It has its pluses for fans of the skill game - namely that it's easier to make fancy passes and for smaller skill guys to survive - but it definitely isn't faster.

Reactions: LaGu

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Disappointed with the result and less than impressed with Canada's jump and coaching but its hard to stay motivated when your goaltending is this atrocious. Disappointed but it'll be a nice story for the Swiss. Especially if they can top the Swedes today.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Josi :laugh:

Playing the puck before having skates on the ice from the penaltybox .... Right back into the box. I don't think I've ever seen that penalty before (too many men on ice but in that way).

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
The Swiss are tied 2-2 with 12 mins left. Like it or not they are on a run and are playing effective hockey to stop powerhouse teams. Finland, Canada and possibly the Swedes would be something to hang their hats on.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Disappointed with the result and less than impressed with Canada's jump and coaching but its hard to stay motivated when your goaltending is this atrocious. Disappointed but it'll be a nice story for the Swiss. Especially if they can top the Swedes today.
Even as a Swede I'd normally be ok with a Swiss win here, good story, good for the sport and they actually earned it. However, this time I really hope Swe wins it. The reason is Larsson, after the year he's had and followed by a great bounce back in this tournament I really wish he can come back home with a gold.

Edit: Swiss also have a top 5 with Niedereiter, Fiala, Corvi, Josi and Diaz. Those are the guys doing the sustained offense for Switzerland. The rest play the system and shuts down the opponents. It's an effective way of playing these tournaments (Swe did the same in the past when less NHL players came over to play).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad