"if you could" Swap Weiss for another #2C

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
He did break out before we lost him. Unless we want to act line 11-12 never happened. But if 11-12 never happened Tampa wouldn't have given him 5 million dollars.

Um, breaking out entails having a good season and producing at relatively similar rates thereafter. What you're calling Filppula's "breakout" year was, prior to him leaving Detroit, actually a statistical aberration.

If I'm acting like his 66 point season never happened, what are you doing with respect to all those seasons where he could barely muster a .5 pp/g pace?

Besides, lets not act like Tampa's system isn't known for giving an offensive boost to its guys. Filppula is just one more Purcell/Conacher/Pouliot/Downie in looking his statistical best with the Bolts.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Backes is all that + he is big and physical.

Backes is good now but his style of play and age are comparable to oil and water. He has till around age 32 or so until his body starts breaking down. Then he won't be able to play well with his style. Also he is no speed burner on skates and once he starts to dwindle in that department he quickly becomes a liability (see bert as a example granted he is 39 but that is the road he would be on or if he still tries to play as he does he will retire much earlier).

Pavelski however doesn't play a style that will turn him into a hobbled old man. Also even though his deal brings him to 6 million next year he is locked into his cap hit when the cap will steadily rise over the coming years so he will be a bargain contract in as little as potentially 3-4 years. His playstyle will age well. So you can see outside of freak injury occurance him playing till 35-40'ish and still be effective. Also he prefers to shoot but is a good playmaker as well so as he starts to hit around 35 or so he can shift over to being a primary playmaker that is still good for 20-30 goals a year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Um, breaking out entails having a good season and producing at relatively similar rates thereafter. What you're calling Filppula's "breakout" year was, prior to him leaving Detroit, actually a statistical aberration.

If I'm acting like his 66 point season never happened, what are you doing with respect to all those seasons where he could barely muster a .5 pp/g pace?

Besides, lets not act like Tampa's system isn't known for giving an offensive boost to its guys. Filppula is just one more Purcell/Conacher/Pouliot/Downie in looking his statistical best with the Bolts.

It would be a statistical aberration if he wasn't product similarly this season.

Filppula had a good 11-12 season and a crap 12-13 season. Weiss also had a good 11-12 season with a crap 12-13 season.

Tampa gambled 4.5 million Filppula could go back to his 11-12 form. We gambled 5 million weiss could go back to his 11-12 form.

Tampa looks pretty smart so far. We look pretty stupid so far.

But I know it must be eating you up to see Fil doing well :)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It would be a statistical aberration if he wasn't product similarly this season.

Filppula had a good 11-12 season and a crap 12-13 season. Weiss also had a good 11-12 season with a crap 12-13 season.

Tampa gambled 4.5 million Filppula could go back to his 11-12 form. We gambled 5 million weiss could go back to his 11-12 form.

Tampa looks pretty smart so far. We look pretty stupid so far.

But I know it must be eating you up to see Fil doing well :)

Again, it was a statistical aberration prior to him leaving Detroit.

Also, I'm not sure what my comment has to do with Weiss. If I could choose any 2C over Weiss would it be Filppula? Absolutely not. I've seen that movie before. It was overrated. But would I choose Filppula over Weiss, even if we're only getting 35 points out of Filppula? Absolutely. Weiss has been that bad.

And is it eating me up seeing Filppula do so well in Tampa? Again - Absolutely. He played like a 2C about 40% of the time he wore a Wings jersey, and in Tampa, he's looked like a 2C 90% of the time. But do I think he would pull that off in Detroit if he were to come back here this very night? Not at all.

And in general, that's part of what I hate about being a Wings fan under Babcock. Kopecky, Samuelsson, Quincey, Filppula, Hudler, Weiss, etc have all either a) looked significantly better elsewhere or b) had their best seasons outside of Detroit. Meanwhile, nearly everyone we bring into this squad seems to look worse.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Again, it was a statistical aberration prior to him leaving Detroit.

Also, I'm not sure what my comment has to do with Weiss. If I could choose any 2C over Weiss would it be Filppula? Absolutely not. I've seen that movie before. It was overrated. But would I choose Filppula over Weiss, even if we're only getting 35 points out of Filppula? Absolutely. Weiss has been that bad.

And is it eating me up seeing Filppula do so well in Tampa? Again - Absolutely. He played like a 2C about 40% of the time he wore a Wings jersey, and in Tampa, he's looked like a 2C 90% of the time. But do I think he would pull that off in Detroit if he were to come back here this very night? Not at all.

Ok, all jokes aside, I see where you're coming from.

I don't think Filppula could produce the way he is right now if he was playing CENTER in Detroit, playing under Babcock and his system. I really don't. So since they were looking for specifically a 2nd line center, I totally understand the decision to go for Weiss.

But I do think Filppula could put up similar production to what he's doing now, if he was playing wing here, similar to what he did in 11-12. I mean the difference between him at wing vs center in Detroit was night and day.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Would love to swap Weiss for a healthy version of Weiss that I used to watch in Florida.

Don't really see Malkin, Richards and some of the others sure to be named as #2 centers.

Think Stastny would be a pretty nice addition and I do view him as a #2 and not a #1.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
What does Babcock do?
Weiss had real promising stats before coming to Wings, then he comes and has the worst season by far of his career (so far).
Filppula leaves the Wings and seems like he is going to have the best season of his career.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
And in general, that's part of what I hate about being a Wings fan under Babcock. Kopecky, Samuelsson, Quincey, Filppula, Hudler, Weiss, etc have all either a) looked significantly better elsewhere or b) had their best seasons outside of Detroit. Meanwhile, nearly everyone we bring into this squad seems to look worse.

You can't just short-sightedly blame the coach. :shakehead When we have been a stacked team for years, there's LIMITED MINUTES for lower line players, because we have superstars in front of them with big minutes.

Like Hudler would never had 1st line minutes at Detroit. He would always produced less in here. He got 1st line minutes and 1st PP role from Calgary - and produces more! What a surprice. :D

But where is his team now? Out of the playoffs and will be every year during his best years there. Because in big picture he is a 2nd line talent, who is unavailable to carry a winning team. Now playing 1st line role in a losing team.

That's why we let these secondary guys walk when they are starting to want the big payday. And replace them with the next wave with cheaper guys.

Just common sense, that's cap management.

Kopecky? He bolted for Hawks with his buddy Hossa, and what has been his career high? 15 goals and 42 points at his career-peak as 29-year-old. Did we really lose something significant? Holland replaced him signing Bertuzzi back from Anaheim to play that same role. Kopecky has scored 132 points and 54 goals since leaving the Wings. Bertuzzi has scored 141 points and 56 goals, even missing more games for injuries. Both are declining now. We did lose nothing, we would be replacing Kopecky now with Sheahan for next season (just like we are replacing Bertuzzi for Sheahan), if he would have stayed.

Quincey? Did well just like Hudler in two losing and rebuilding organizations (Avs and Kings), when getting 1st PP time. He was still bad defensively in those teams. Production came through the PP and that was the only difference.

Samuelsson? Shined with the Sedins. There's a long list who have shined with Sedins. Again, bigger role in a different team. He was a better fit with them, because Daniel can play net-front and Sammy be the "sniper." Maybe we should have tried him with Zetterberg and Datsyuk? But then Zeta or Dats should be the net-front and that's a moron plan. We had different plan to go with a team Legend Holmström with them.

Weiss? Has struggled with us and is a player that has shined (just like Hudler) at 1st line role in a losing team. But, and a big but. We signed him to center the 2nd line, when Filppula walked. The idea in theory was good. Plan B. Only his injury situation has turned this to look a mess.

Only debatable thing is this Filppula leaving us. Holland offered a life-time contract, but he wanted to walk.

So why did he leave? Guys are yelling that it was because of Babcock never trusted him enough and only because of that. Maybe there something in that, but not everything. I could say that it's just the "problem" that we have Zetterberg and Datsyuk in this team. Left-handed playmakers playing at same center position, who'll block Filppula all the time from his preferred position. I think, when Datsyuk did his 3-year extension, after that Filppula was as good as gone. He knew that for next four seasons (when both Zeta and Dats are still here) he will never see a 1st PP role or a 1st line center role, like he has now in different organization. He fits well for needs at Tampa. Players are enough smart to see those things where they could be a better fit and do decisions.

So it's not the Babcock thing. It's the existence of our better superstars and coincidence that Filppula and Hudler just became same kind of secondary players. Blaim Zetterberg and Datsyuk being here, if you want to blaim someone. That's my logic.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Would Lacavalier be an option?

too risky with that contract.

he was my first option this summer. but not with 5 year deal. 2, absolutely, 3, maybe yeah, 4 no, 5, absolutely not.

already slowing down because of injuries. he's been pretty bad lately when i've seen him in philly. doubt he's healthy as he was much better earlier on the season. then the injuries started to pile up. and he's suffered a lot of them throughout his career and is up there in age.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
too risky with that contract.

he was my first option this summer. but not with 5 year deal. 2, absolutely, 3, maybe yeah, 4 no, 5, absolutely not.

already slowing down because of injuries. he's been pretty bad lately when i've seen him in philly. doubt he's healthy as he was much better earlier on the season. then the injuries started to pile up. and he's suffered a lot of them throughout his career and is up there in age.

watch him get a hatty againest us tonight lol

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Would like to have seen the wings find a way to land Burmistrov though he was not established as a number two I think the wings would have developed him better.

shultzyfeelinirie20

Jan 30, 2012
Michigan
Would like to have seen the wings find a way to land Burmistrov though he was not established as a number two I think the wings would have developed him better.

yeah burmistrov and kuznetzov would be awsome if we landed them and could establish them here but in that other thread we have maybe we can get that malyken kid or whatever in the khl whos 23yrs old

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad